Thread: Transferring What's Up At Christof's to FPGeeks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,813 Times in 1,426 Posts

Default Transferring What's Up At Christof's to FPGeeks

From May 2012 to January 2020, I maintained a blog-like thread on Fountainpennetwork called "What's Up At Christof's". https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...tofs/#comments

At some point, I got fed up with the many ads and the endless broken classifieds and invested less and less time in FPN.

Due to numerous software updates the links to Flickr broke again and again and since I didn't get the necessary rights to fix that it seemed to me that continuing the thread was a waste of time.

Nevertheless, a lot of my time, knowledge, and passion for fountain pens has gone into this thread, which I would like to share with other enthusiasts.

So the idea came up to transport the best posts of the thread here, while I mend the broken links.
    Last edited by christof; July 6th, 2022 at 06:51 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (July 7th, 2022), carlos.q (July 6th, 2022), catbert (July 6th, 2022), clear1 (July 9th, 2022), forester (August 18th, 2022), FredRydr (July 6th, 2022), jar (July 6th, 2022), jeffj (July 6th, 2022), joolstacho (August 29th, 2022), manoeuver (July 6th, 2022), Marsilius (July 6th, 2022), Niner (July 9th, 2022), Pterodactylus (August 18th, 2022), Robert (July 6th, 2022), RobJohnson (July 6th, 2022), Stands on Feet (July 6th, 2022), vdiantonio (September 6th, 2022), Wile E Coyote (July 7th, 2022), Yazeh (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Transferring What's Up At Christof's to FPGeeks

Here we go. This is the very first post of: "What's Up At Christof's" from the 7 of may 2012

I am collecting, restoring and photographing pens since a couple of years now. I always wanted to create my own site or blog. But I'm rather the pen nerd than the computer nerd, so this project never happend...

Then, I discovered FPN. Since 2008 I am an active member of this board. I posted my pictures, my collection and my experiences with fountain pens here. I found a lot of friends from all over the world and lots of pens as well.

Sometimes, people ask me about my older threads and I have serious problems in finding and remembering them. That's why I thought it may be a cool idea to start an endless thread unter the title "what's up at christof's" or "what's new at christof's". Because I never will post a topic without at least one picture (this is a promise) the thread is located here at "picures and pen photography".

Your comments will be very welcome.

1. lustiger Wal

My first picture is just a quick doodle I've done, to test the fine nib of a Pelikan 100N. I do test-write all my pens after I restored them.

When my oldest son was 6 years old, he was very fond of water animals, especially whales. I often had to sketch whales and fishes for his pleasure. That's why I still am quite practiced in sketching theese. Often when I am doodling around with a new pen, I end up with some whales, like this.

So, let's see what's next.
    Last edited by christof; July 6th, 2022 at 06:30 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 6th, 2022), da vinci (July 8th, 2022), Marsilius (July 6th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 6th, 2022), Yazeh (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

22 may 2012

Only to show you how spontaneous we react here at Christof’s (and of course to please Lisa Miyako... ) I layed down the freshly restored Montblanc 332 back to the drawer and took out the Waterman’s glass cartridge filler, which seems to be of interest for some people here. So here comes:

5. Waterman’s first cartridge filler

There has been no need for restoration work for this pen. Just disassembling and cleaning was fine. There are no moving parts, no bladder, no piston seal, just a humble rubber seal at the end oft he section, where the cartridge is plugged in. This seal is fine and I prefer to keep it original.

There are not many informations about this pens on the www. But there is a quite informative pen profile on vintagepens.com, written by David Nishimura.

David writes, that theese first cartridge fillers were made in the U.S.A. and have been sold in Europe. He also writes that the pens have been retailed by Waterman’s French company JIF. So it wasn’t amazing to find a french JIF glass cartridge inside the pen.

To load the pen, you just have to unsrew the blindcap of the barrel (which has a spring loaded bottom inside) and put a new cartridge in, screw back the blindcap and it’s all ready for writing again. The section part is quite cleverly designed : There is some pressure to the feed when the cartridge is screwed in the pen (the spring loaded back, remember?) . So the common friction fit feeds would not work. That’s why the feed has to be secured by a tiny little hardrubber screw, which also held the rubber seal. Clever, isn’t it?

David Nishimura mentions that theese pens have been U.S. made but for JIF Waterman France. He also mentions that there can or should be a 18ct. nib, how it was usual for the french market. There was no imprint on the nib what is not uncommon for theese Waterman’s nibs, so I disassembled the section to see what’s on the foot oft he nib. Well, the nib seemed to me to have some dings before I took out my loupe and had a closer look. See what I discovered on the downside of the nib:

There is an 18ct stamp and two other funny hallmarks.

It wasn’t also a surprise that the nib was a nice writing flexible one – perhaps I will have to use this pen a little bit in the future. Perhaps just to see how it looks if the cartridge is full of nice Waterman’s Florida blue.

But until then, let’s see what’s next…

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

amk (August 12th, 2022), catbert (July 6th, 2022), da vinci (July 8th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 9th, 2022), Marsilius (July 6th, 2022), Prettypenguin (July 6th, 2022), RobJohnson (July 6th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 6th, 2022), Vintage_BE (August 18th, 2022), Yazeh (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

25 may 2012:

„the magic triangle“

A Montblanc 332 from a flea market find has been restored as well. So I’d like to show you some pics as usual. Here’s the pen :

This 332 has probably been made in 1939 and is the smallest size made during this period. The pen is fitted with a lovely soft, smooth and flexible OB nib. Have a look at this:

Many years, I had problems with the cryptical numbering system of montblanc. To many different series, to many different models, colors, filling systems and so on… But, there is a system! I just didn’t understood it, so I did a diagram to understand better. I called it „the magic triangle“.

The triangle has to be read counter clockwise, started at the series digit.

So, the 332 was the smallest and the most cheap pen in this era, but still with a piston filler. So which model has been the biggest and most expensive one? Of course, you know it. The 139. Here comes two pics for comparison.

Also the white star is sort of a budget variant. But I like it a lot. This thin white curvy line is very elegant in my opinion.

let’s see what’s next…
    Last edited by christof; July 6th, 2022 at 12:35 PM.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (August 12th, 2022), bunnspecial (September 7th, 2022), carlos.q (July 6th, 2022), catbert (July 6th, 2022), da vinci (July 8th, 2022), Enkida (July 7th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 9th, 2022), Marsilius (July 6th, 2022), RobJohnson (July 6th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 6th, 2022), Yazeh (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

I decided to do the transfer the other way around, and will from now on transfer the latest posts first.

5 january 2020

OMAS TOKYO
    Design: Studio Sottsass Associati, 1991

I always had a weak spot for the creations of Ettore Sottsass, Designer, Architect and Artist. His sketches, furnitures and his architecture always seemed faboulous to me since the first time I saw them.

sketch for book shelf "carlton"

axonometry of sky scraper in Dallas, TX (I don't think that it was ever built)

page of sketchbook of E.S.

His design studio was responsible for the design of a fountain pen as well: The OMAS TOKYO produced during the 1990's. Since I have seen the pen for the first time, I was fascinated by its design and colors. I wanted it for my collection, but I wanted them in all colors! During more that ten years I was tempted to buy the one and other pen, but I only bought them now, when I got the unique oportunity to buy them all at the same time.

an here we go:

the colors are:

Persimmon Orange
    Lychee Green
    Viridian Green
    Blue Venezia
    Classic Black

and finaly a picture of the master himself:

photo: J. Emilio Flores
    Last edited by christof; July 7th, 2022 at 02:29 AM.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 7th, 2022), da vinci (July 8th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 9th, 2022), Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2022), Marsilius (August 18th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 7th, 2022), Yazeh (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

4 august 2020

I've got the virus - but it's called "pokettopen" (ポケットペン) !

More about these cool pens on Richard Binders (since decades) excellent site:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/prof...ocket_pens.htm

...let's see what's next!

C.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 8th, 2022), da vinci (July 8th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), Marsilius (August 18th, 2022), RWS (July 9th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 8th, 2022), Yazeh (July 8th, 2022)

Thanks

27/28 march 2020

newly arrived:

I think it's love...

C.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 9th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), ralfstc (August 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2022), Yazeh (July 11th, 2022)

Thanks

22 january 2020

Recently, I got a new Parker 61 Desk pen. I already had one, but this one has its original and first generation socket and trumpet:

Parker 61 Desk Pen by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Taking pictures was the reason to take all my desk sets to the photo studio as well. Got some nice photos as I think:

Deskpens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Deskpens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Waltham 8 Days BW by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Waltham 8 Days by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Desk pens are COOL!

C.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2022), Chrissy (July 12th, 2022), FredRydr (July 11th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), ralfstc (August 2nd, 2022), Yazeh (July 11th, 2022)

Thanks

​22 december 2021

This graphic of different Pelikan nibs and nib points is often shown or quoted. It shows that before, penmakers attached importance to individuality and professional need. At this time, there were no computer programs or applications available to imitate any graphic expressions. So far, I didn't pay attention to nibs only. When I was collecting, I concentrated more on different pens. However, this chart made me take a look to see what types of nibs I own. Surprisingly, I even found some of the rather rare special nibs in my collection.

I’d like to show you some of them and will start with some special nibs, the “Scheibenspitze - S/SB/SBB” which means “disc-tip”:

Pelikan Scheiben Federn by c_m_z, auf Flickr

On the picture can be seen a Redis-nib (predecessor) and one of my own creations, a Pelikan “double-nib” for comparison.

The disc-tip is producing an entierly broad line without any variation of line width. As far as I know were these nibs used for creating advertisings and price tags in show cases. The excessive consumption of ink made the use of these nibs in a fountain pen more then useful.

The shape of these tips can be seen the best from aside. The shape of the tip looks like an unbelievable huge “sweet spot”. The characteristic of these nibs is accordingly. It’s smooth and glides effortless on the paper while producing an enormous trace of ink….

I like these nibs a lot although I do not use them realy often during my daily work.

I continue with the “hard” or “rigid” nibs, the “H” or “D” nibs. D stand for “Durchschreib-Feder” which means carbon copy-nib.

Pelikan 400 DF

Pelikan 400 DF by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 DF S by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 DEF

Pelikan 400 DEF by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 DEF S by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 HEF

Pelikan 400 HEF by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 HEF S by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

What I notice is that although both of the carbon nibs are harder, they also glide very nicely on the paper. That means you can write with them without pressure. The DF can even be written extremely "smooth". A very pleasant nib in my opinion.

The HEF is hard for this, but it shows a little more teeth on paper. A nib that needs some pressure, but then writes very pleasantly. It is suitable for writing very small numbers and block letters. Quasi a mathematical nib!

Last edited by christof; July 14th, 2022 at 12:15 AM.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 14th, 2022), catbert (July 14th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), ralfstc (August 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 14th, 2022), Vintage_BE (August 18th, 2022), Yazeh (July 14th, 2022)

Thanks

I will continue with the K-nibs, which stands for Kugelspitze = Ball Point.

Pelikan 140, KM-nib

Pelikan 140 KM by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 140 KM by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 100N with K-nib

Pelikan 100N K by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 101 with uncommon 18 carats nib (which has been made in England for the French market….strange!). The nib has a “K»- point as well.

Pelikan 101 K by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 101 Lizard K-nib by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 101 K by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

I must admit that I was very surprised by the distinctive character of these nibs while writing and I have decided to use some of them a little more often.

Oblique nibs are actually not unusual. Nevertheless, for the sake of completeness here is an early Pelikan 100 with a distinctly slanted OM nib (...not so easy to write with it.)

Pelikan 100 OM by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 100 OM by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

This Pelikan R-nib (right-oblique) is quite unusual, since it's the only one I have seen so far. It came (and still is) in a Pelikan 300: Pelikan 300 R by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 300 R by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 300 R by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Although the usual left oblique nibs do not suit me so much, I get along surprisingly well with this right oblique nib. - It even fits me very well and is certainly one of the nibs I wouldn't give away so quickly. I especially like the clear handwriting, which remains easy to read despite the wide lines. This is also a nib which deserves a little more use...

Pelikan 101N, ST-nib (Stenographic)

Pelikan 101N Steno 3 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 101N Steno 2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 101N Steno 1 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

This nib is really extraordinary. ST nibs are rare in themselves. But this one is also exceptionally flexible. In its elasticity, it easily takes on a Waterman's EF-flexible from the 1920's. The tip of the nib is wonderfully smooth and does not scratch even when writing very fast - just as required for shorthand.

C.
    Last edited by christof; July 14th, 2022 at 12:12 AM.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 14th, 2022), catbert (July 14th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), ralfstc (August 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 14th, 2022), Vintage_BE (August 18th, 2022), Yazeh (July 14th, 2022)

Thanks

17 november 2019

Finally finished the restoration of the OSMIA SUPRA EXTRA from 1937.

Osmia continued to produce models similar to Parkers Duofold, even after the separation of the U.S. manufacturer. Large pens, simply designed with push button filling mechanism.

OSMIA Supra Exrta by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

important detail: Osmia improved the mechanism in terms of ergonomics and ease of maintenance.

OSMIA Supra Extra by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

the button is attached to the pressure bar.

Osmia Supra Druckknopf by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

OSMIA Supra Extra by c_m_z, auf Flickr

This is a pen of highest quality and very prestigious. Maybe the three cap bands wanted to compete to Montblancs Meisterstück serie? I specially like the enamel OSMIA logo on top of the cap.

OSMIA Supra Exrta Feder by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Some writing samples with the huge nib (which still strongly reminds to Duofold nibs in terms of geomettry and imprints).

[img] https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df0b95d4_c.jpg [/img]

Catalog from 1937:

C.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 4th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 4th, 2022), Vintage_BE (August 18th, 2022), Yazeh (August 4th, 2022)

Thanks

11/6/2019 at 7:22 PM

After Inktober some pen and pen stuff pics...

My latest vintage Pelikan is not a pen but a case!

...not necessary to mention how rare this item is, but since I detected it in the Pelikan catalog from 1938, I always wanted one but was almost sure that I wont never find one. Thanks to the generosity of a friend it still happend!

extraction from catalog of 1938

The shape reminds of a Kaweco Sport case with a zipper...
    But the really genious thing is a tiny crescent punched into the leather to plug the clip through the case to pin the case to jour jacket. How cool is that?

case filled with Pelikan 100N and Auch Pelikan 200 mechanical pencil

...with other accessory from the same time

It's a pleasure to see how my small Pelikan cosmos is growing.

C.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 11th, 2022), catbert (August 11th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 11th, 2022), Vintage_BE (August 18th, 2022), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks

​On 5/29/2019 at 4:54 PM, christof said:

Recently, I was able to catch this mint and boxed ink bottles from the 50's:

...makes a nice additon to my small collection of vintage Pelikan boxes and bottles:

C.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 18th, 2022), catbert (August 18th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 18th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (August 19th, 2022), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks

​On 5/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, christof said:

Finally: got new pens!

Thanks to a pen friend, I was able to ad this spectacular Pelikan to my humble collection. It's a pelikan 400NN in light tortoise color. here comes the pictures:

Pelikan 400NN light tortoise by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400/400NN light tortoise box by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pelikan 400 and 400NN light tortoise by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

A nice addition to the mini-collection:

Pelikan Tortoise/Light Tortoise by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

(Merci Guillaume!)

And thanks to another pen fellow; I was able to complete this set of LAMY 068 and 069 for the Museum project:

Lamy 69 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Lamy 68 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

(Thank you Jan!)

And another adition to the collection of the Museum were these three:

Pilot Birdie - Parker 25 - Aurora Auretta_ by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pilot Birdie - Parker 25 - Aurora Auretta by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

Pilot Birdie 1987
    Parker 25 1975
    Aurora Auretta 1980

Similarity in Design was the reason for me to group them togehter and present them side by side.

Tha's all for now. But let's see what's next...

C.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 18th, 2022), catbert (August 18th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 18th, 2022), Pterodactylus (August 18th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (August 19th, 2022), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks

On 4/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, christof said:
    todays fleamarket find:

no pens so far.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:17 PM, christof said:

here's a new family picture:

c.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, christof said:

in my collection it has become a little quieter - not many new entries to register. sometimes it needs a short break for new orientation. so i havn't bought much stuff since a couple of month.

there were some pens that didn't really fit into the collection, but were too pretty to sell...so I bought them a matching pencil that they weren't too alone.

For example this Parker Duofold Mandarin from 1928. Thanks to a good friend, it got a perfect pencil. Thank you Ariel.

and this Parker Vacumatic Oversize got thanks to the fantastic site* of David Nishimura a perfectly kept pencil. Thank you David.
    (...these Vac pencils are not easy to catch, and even not in silver pearl and OS!)

*(when I was new in pen collecting and photographing, Davids pictures were the most inspiring source for me and my pen photography)

and I got this nice german "Greif" couple:

have you ever seen a repeater pencil with ink lead view? how cool is that!

hopefully I could entertain you for a couple of seconds with this and let's see what's next.

C.

Last edited by christof; August 29th, 2022 at 08:44 AM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 30th, 2022), Deb (August 30th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 29th, 2022), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks

On 2/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, christof said:

Here comes a comparison of the rare LAMY Safari Alpin mate and the common glossy one, but it's hard to see frome the pic. I've tried several times to take good pictures of the mate Alpine with no success. Here are the latest:

LAMY Safari Alpin mate Detail 2 by c_m_z, auf FlickrLAMY Safari Alpin mate Detail 2 by c_m_z, auf Flickr

LAMY Safari Alpin mate Detail 3 by c_m_z, auf FlickrLAMY Safari Alpin mate Detail 1 by c_m_z, auf Flickr

At least with my equipment it seems to be nearly impossible to get reasonable pictures of the mate surface.
    When I was on the hunt for a mate Alpin, I bought at least 12 Alpins from the far eastern area. Two of them were mate. I can't really remember but I think that one came from Singapoore and the other one from Taiwan.

At the end, I was more than happy to be able to close this gap in my collection!

C.
    Last edited by christof; September 6th, 2022 at 07:14 AM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 5th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 5th, 2022), Yazeh (September 6th, 2022)

Thanks

due to the messy state of the forum in terms of spam, as well as several messages from concerned members, I have stopped adding content to this thread until further notice.

Indeed, it may not be worth the effort. I ask for your understanding.

C.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (November 11th, 2022), Carpio (May 26th, 2023), catbert (November 11th, 2022), clear1 (November 11th, 2022), countrydirt (November 15th, 2022), FredRydr (November 11th, 2022)