Thread: No, you didn't "gift" anyone anything

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default No, you didn't "gift" anyone anything

I carred my friend to the auto repair shop to retrieve his vehicle. He wanted to show his thanks, so he lunched me at a restaurant. Afterward, I went home and washered a load of towels. When the washer cycle ended, I dryered the towels. Then I typewritered a rough draft of this post and, finally, I've keyboarded the final version here.

Maybe the reason I loathe the pretend verb "gift" is that the first time I heard it it came from the trap of a soft yuppie I worked with. (Well, I worked. He mostly goofed off and tried not to perspire.) Anyway, I don't like it and I'm prepared to do something about it. I'll never use the word that way and I hereby guarantee to pay everyone else $10.00 US to never again use (or to never begin using) any form of "gift" as a verb.

To be clear, I will pay everyone. So that's $10.00 grand total for everyone. That includes those not yet born. Y'all decide how you want to split it up. If you want to try paying estates of the deceased with it, that's up to you.
    Last edited by Niner; July 9th, 2022 at 09:52 PM. Reason: correctioned an error

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (August 4th, 2022), TSherbs (July 10th, 2022), Yazeh (July 10th, 2022)