Thread: Diamine pH? Are any of their inks too alkaline for use in a vintage celluloid pen?

Thanks

Question Diamine pH? Are any of their inks too alkaline for use in a vintage celluloid pen?

Parker vacumatic celluloid fp (30's) is on the way to me and I would like to fill it with one of the many Diamine inks I already own. I have read that alkaline ink are not a good mix with celluloid and as wondering if anyone knew of any Diamine inks which would be a problem in this type of a pen? Also, would a sheening ink be a problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Diamine pH? Are any of their inks too alkaline for use in a vintage celluloid pen

Diamine have been making inks since 1864 and moved to their current factory in Liverpool in 1925. I would imagine that during this time many of their inks were regularly used in different brands of vintage or celluloid fountain pens without causing problems.

On the other hand sheening inks are fairly modern and might be harder to clean out of a Parker Vac. Not sure I would try one out in there.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Diamine pH? Are any of their inks too alkaline for use in a vintage celluloid pen

I doubt you'd have any trouble with most of Diamine's ink. However, as Chrissy said, I would not go for any ink, that is highly saturated/ sheening (think Bilberry) or shimmering. They'll be difficult to clean.
    I would also avoid Pink/ red/ purple range, if you're planning to change inks regularly. Those are the most difficult to clean.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

At this point, referencing some of Richard Binder's work on pH levels of various inks is nearly obligatory: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/care/ink_ph.htm

Also, his note bears repeating: "While pH is an important factor in the safety of a given ink, it is not the only criterion. There are other factors to consider, such as the ink’s tendency to clog, its ability to lubricate well, and whether it stains and/or damages pens and other surfaces." Have a look around his site for more information.

The ink he typically recommends for vintage pens is Waterman Serenity Blue (ironically not on his pH list).
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

This study of the ph values of 60 inks may be of value, as there are several Diamine inks listed. There are inks of theirs on both sides of the neutral point (7) on the pH scale. The link goes to Indy-Pen-Dance, giving credit.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 1st, 2022), TSherbs (August 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    At this point, referencing some of Richard Binder's work on pH levels of various inks is nearly obligatory: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/care/ink_ph.htm

<snip>

The ink he typically recommends for vintage pens is Waterman Serenity Blue (ironically not on his pH list).
    Yeah, unfortunately one of the most boring looking blues, IMO.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post

<snip>

Yeah, unfortunately one of the most boring looking blues, IMO.
    Also, from a pH perspective, Diamine Majestic Blue appears to be "worse" than Noodler's Ink Baystate Blue, and no cautious pen user would put Baystate Blue in a vintage pen (anymore... or at the very least, a pen that uses a latex sac).
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863