Thread: Woes of the Novice

Thanks

Default Woes of the Novice

I purchased my first fountain pen, a matte ivory Sheaffer Prelude 374 GT, in 2003. Over the years, I used it, a couple of Lamy 2000s, and a Lamy Safari at work. The kooks I worked with always looked for someone to attack as different, which is one reason why I bought the 2000s (they don't look like fountain pens if you don't look at them closely). Having an office in a satellite location an hour and a half away from the headquarters and populated with a lower (though non-zero) prevalence of vicious co-workers, I eventually used fountain pens as I pleased when there, but not on days when I had to work in hell. No, wait, I mean not on days when I had to work at the headquarters office, not hell. No, wait, I really do mean hell.

It's peculiar about the headquarters office and the (rather small) city it's in. The majority of people there consider themselves simultaneously quite sophisticated; rather edgy; and of a far superior type, especially superior to the dwindling local population that they have largely replaced over the last few decades. To the extent that any of that matters here, it matters because it reduced my use of fountain pens at work and it reduced my use outside of work because the job ate all of my time and part of my soul. That's all over now; a year ago I pulled the ripcord on that outfit.

But as a result of that former situation, nineteen years after purchasing my first fountain pen I'm a bit of a novice yet. For example, I suspect that I could improve my Safari, which seems a bit scratchy, but I'm concerned that in tinkering with it I might worsen it. I have read accounts of and instructions about tine-flossing, tine-spreading, tine-pushing-back-together, nib-polishing, and more. I have a damaged Lamy 2000 nib to experiment with. Nineteen years ago, I dropped that Lamy and it landed nib first on a hard floor. The nib crumpled like an aluminum beer can. Actually, like a gold beer can. I'm afraid of fooling around with that nib because it is so soft. Having lately become interested in vintage Esterbrooks, I bought several and restored a couple of them. Of the ones I haven't restored, most have decent nibs, but some have mutilated nibs and some have bent or splayed nibs. I think I'll start my nib-tinkering with the bad Esterbrook nibs.

I love that Sheaffer Prelude, but it has a medium nib that I wish was a F or XF instead. I does write so well. Smooth, wet, and, though rather stiff, satisfyingly sensual in its feedback. I think it's my favorite pen, despite that big, fat nib.
    Last edited by Niner; July 15th, 2022 at 07:44 PM. Reason: words

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

welch (July 18th, 2022), Yazeh (July 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,740 Posts

Default Re: Woes of the Novice

Hooded nibs can be tough to work on and we only do nib work on open-nib beaters. I'd send the 2000 to a nibmeister and look for a Prelude in F or XF, or maybe just a nib you could swap.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Niner (July 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

It may be possible for a good pen mechanic to straighten the nib, but replacing it would be simpler and faster. Loose Lamy 2000 nibs are available on Ebay. They aren't cheap, but then again, the nib is often about 2/3 of the retail price of the pen, and by the time you pay for the repair work and shipping both ways it isn't a heck of a lot more than repair.

The nibs are easy to change. Unscrew the section, gently push the nib and feed out the back end. To pull the nib off lay a piece of tape on top of the nib and pull the tape. It should slide right off, and the replacement slides right back on in its place.

DO be careful not to lose the little ring with the too clutch tabs, and the doughnut seal on the back end of the feed. Take your time tightening the section on to make sure that the tabs fit into the notches. Tighten the section just snug, not tight so that the threads on the barrel aren't stressed.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 17th, 2022), Niner (July 16th, 2022), Robert (July 16th, 2022), welch (July 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,237 Times in 2,252 Posts

@niner, Sheaffer Prelude nibs are easy to buy online. Though for the double the price you can buy a new pen.
    Unlike you both my nibs, medium and broad had flow issues and skipped. The tines were very tight. A little tweaking on my thumb and now the flow is excellent and no more skipping.
    As for Lamy Safari, you can find the nibs cheaply online and tweak them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Niner (July 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

sorry to hear you spent so much time with assholes. a good nibmeister can get you sorted, and you'll learn quite a bit in the process.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Niner (July 18th, 2022)