Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jinhao 159

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: New Jinhao 159

The 159 should be able to take most any #6 nib that is on the market. I say *should* because I don't own one and sometimes feeds are a little individual, but I have seen a lot of people put other nibs in those pens. As to the x159, that nib is essentially a #8 nib, and the only after-market nib in that size you can buy is from Magna Carta (India0, a steel nib that may or may not be an improvement on the Jinhao nib. Yes, there are other #8 nibs but the makers don't sell them outside of the pens, so you'll have to look for 2nd-hand nibs.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

nigelg (January 25th, 2023), Yazeh (January 25th, 2023)

Thanks

I mentioned earlier about an o-ring hack I sometimes use to help dry-out pens to seal better. Sometimes I can't tell, with cheaper or not-great-design-or-implementation pens, just what the problem is. It can be a leak from a clip hole, a poorly sized inner cap, or maybe even loose threading.

And I wish I could give an exact answer for all cases but... What I did was buy an assortment box, either Amazon or eBay, of silicone rubber o-rings in about 20+ sizes. I look for one that will fit snugly inside the cap (too small in OD and it falls out, too big and it will go out of shape as you push it in). This only works if there is an inner cap. You gently push it down so that it now sits right on top of the inner cap, and this allows the pen to seal off the end of the section. You feel it give a little, a rubbery feel when yo get it almost tight.

The inner cap, of course, shouldn't have any gaps or leaks, and every so often the ring grabs the end of the section enough that it wants to unscrew the section as you un-cap the pen! Hey, it isn't always perfect but in the case of this x159, it has really helped, and I can pick the pen up after a couple days and it starts right up.

I pulled out some a digital caliper and measure the inner diameter of the x159 cap; the reading at the open end is 13.2mm, so I'm guessing the o-ring I used was likely a 13, possibly 14mm OD ring. The good part about an assortment box is you can go up and down in sizes and see if anything works. Frankly, sometimes nothing really fits well. HTH!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 25th, 2023), Stands on Feet (February 22nd, 2023), TSherbs (January 25th, 2023), Yazeh (January 25th, 2023)

Thanks

159 is a #6. My understanding is that the, x159 is a 40mm so you may have luck looking to India
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

Thanks

Are we sure about the nib size? I thought it was a #8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Are we sure about the nib size? I thought it was a #8
    That is what all my info shows. One of the big issues is the stupid naming convention of simply tacking on the "x" for a much different pen. Not just bigger, different, but a lot of people who don't know one or the other of these pens seem to get them confused.

I don't own an MB 149, but I just compared the nib side-by-side with a #8 in a Leonardo MZG 2.0 and they are the same size, just slightly different shape. I pulled out my MB 146 and the nib is distinctly smaller than the x159 nib, and the MB is a #6. FWIW

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (January 25th, 2023), TSherbs (January 26th, 2023)

Thanks

As I understand it the models have different sized nibs. 159 = #6, 159x = 40mm. #6 nibs are widely available. 40mm not so much. They are popular in India.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmachanic For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (January 27th, 2023), TSherbs (January 26th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

*Both* the nib and the feed are larger in the "X159" than in the original "159".

And yes, Jon, the re-naming is stupidly similar, and both pens are still being sold.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I received my X159 and have been using it for a week now. Regardless of any other consideration it is a very good pen. I am using Akkermann Voorhout Violet. The cap must seal well because it does not dry out when not used for a time and it starts immediately. I like the big nib which writes a fine line, and has a soft smooth feel. I was tempted to order another with extra-fine nib, but after using this one I think that EF would be too fine. Upon receiving it I flushed it to be rid of any test ink left in the feed and it worked right away without any tweaking or adjustment. The body is not quite as bulky as the metal 159. After filling it is important to tighten the barrel against the O ring otherwise the body feels like it is wobbling when you write. I wonder how it will hold up to long term use.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 27th, 2023), RobJohnson (January 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Update on x159. I posted this over on "What Chinese pen are you using today". But thought it might be appropriate here.

jinhaouse.jpg

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 21st, 2023), Lloyd (February 21st, 2023), usk15 (February 22nd, 2023), Yazeh (February 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I'm glad that Jinhao changed those original clips. I was not a fan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (February 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm glad that Jinhao changed those original clips.
    Brass body and metal threads too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    It is not the same pen. Everything about these pens is different. They should have used a completely different designator. The only things vaguely similar are the length and the fact they put ink on paper.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (February 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    It is not the same pen. Everything about these pens is different. They should have used a completely different designator. The only things vaguely similar are the length and the fact they put ink on paper.
    I read the original comment to mean "they changed the brass body and threads, as well".

~ Benjamin Franklin