Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

  1. #21
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,221
    Thanks
    5,159
    Thanked 8,241 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    How interesting it will be to see them grow up. Sad with the mother, something must have happened to her. I see hedgehogs almost daily this time of year. Passing cars are the worst danger. My neighbour feeds the local hedgehogs cat food, and they come around every night for it. I think the small ones must reach close to 700 grams as a minimum weight to survive winter. Last year there were stories of small hedhogs in trouble late in auntum. They survived in a family's home, and was awake all winter and was let out in spring.
    Cars are the main danger here too also the fact that their access to countryside and gardens is diminishing. They don't all stay in hibernation for the whole duration but wake up fairly regularly and come out for a bit of food.

    Cat or kitten food is a good source of food for adults and youngsters. We had to make a special feeding box in order to ensure the hedgehogs could easily get in and eat it but access was a bit too twisty for cats.

    At the right time of year our regular hedgehog visitor could be seen travelling across the lawn to the box every evening until she stopped coming and one evening two of them came out of the same box.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  3. #22
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,221
    Thanks
    5,159
    Thanked 8,241 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Our hedgehogs are not quite as cute and have long tails.
    I went and checked on Wikipedia and was surprised to find that there aren't any species of hedgehog left in the US now. That's a shame
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  4. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chartres, France
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    2,305
    Thanked 731 Times in 406 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    They grow very fast. We had Junior for a while, though he was almost full grown so we didn't need to keep him long, and then Generalissimo who was covered in fly eggs and mites - fortunately we have a local vet who specialises in hedgehogs and gave us a hedgehog version of Frontline to get rid of the parasites. Generalissimo was tiny, about the same size as your Chrissy, and after about a month was nearly 700g. He ate like a pig. No table manners at all. I would not have trusted him with the best china!

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (August 3rd, 2022), TSherbs (August 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  6. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,025
    Thanks
    836
    Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Dan Antopolski at the 2009 Edinburgh Fringe (a festival for comedey) won the award with:

    Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (August 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  8. #25
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,221
    Thanks
    5,159
    Thanked 8,241 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    They grow very fast. We had Junior for a while, though he was almost full grown so we didn't need to keep him long, and then Generalissimo who was covered in fly eggs and mites - fortunately we have a local vet who specialises in hedgehogs and gave us a hedgehog version of Frontline to get rid of the parasites. Generalissimo was tiny, about the same size as your Chrissy, and after about a month was nearly 700g. He ate like a pig. No table manners at all. I would not have trusted him with the best china!
    I watched an episode of Mountain Vets last week and the head vet at their animal rescue place had three that were handed in. She took them home and was fortunate enough to have a large dog crate from the centre to keep them in and at five months old she had a football shaped male that she called "Fatty" that was the first one she released. If they get too overweight then they can have problems curling up into a ball tight enough to keep predators off so it can be a fine line. She showed how she mixed their food that consisted of tinned cat food plus some grated carrot and some oats served in a fairly large, flattish dish, then she tipped on a jug of milk and said they eat it all!

    By comparison I've borrowed some puppy panels from next door that join together to make a hexagonal shaped pen. Yesterday when we put it on the lawn all three of them were pushing themselves through the bars and we were trying to steer them away from the garden borders. It must have looked quite funny.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    amk (August 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  10. #26
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    4,000
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Our hedgehogs are not quite as cute and have long tails.
    I went and checked on Wikipedia and was surprised to find that there aren't any species of hedgehog left in the US now. That's a shame
    Yup. No hedgehogs native to the Americas and yes, it is a shame.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  12. #27
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    931
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 618 Times in 362 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Our hedgehogs are not quite as cute and have long tails.
    I went and checked on Wikipedia and was surprised to find that there aren't any species of hedgehog left in the US now. That's a shame
    Yup. No hedgehogs native to the Americas and yes, it is a shame.
    Yes, but we have armadillos. Armored balls vs spiky balls.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (August 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)

  14. #28
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    4,000
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Our hedgehogs are not quite as cute and have long tails.
    I went and checked on Wikipedia and was surprised to find that there aren't any species of hedgehog left in the US now. That's a shame
    Yup. No hedgehogs native to the Americas and yes, it is a shame.
    Yes, but we have armadillos. Armored balls vs spiky balls.
    Really? Around here they are usually more like pancakes than bocci balls.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (August 3rd, 2022), Wile E Coyote (August 3rd, 2022)

  16. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    That's great Chrissy! In London, we see foxes and the occasional drunken rat. I think my boys were surprised to see a real hedgehog out in the country - I'm not sure they'd realised they were real animals

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph H For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (September 4th, 2022)

  18. #30
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,221
    Thanks
    5,159
    Thanked 8,241 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph H View Post
    That's great Chrissy! In London, we see foxes and the occasional drunken rat. I think my boys were surprised to see a real hedgehog out in the country - I'm not sure they'd realised they were real animals
    I've seen fewer foxes than hedgehogs here, but I hear them at night. As long as we are only talking furry animals - I've never seen a drunken rat. LOL

    Reminds me of our rat story. Once we saw a rat in our garden during broad daylight. It must have been an escapee because it was a dark ginger colour with white underneath. It kept eating my bird food for days and in the end my OH bought a rat trap and set it behind the greenhouse. A couple of days later I thought the trap had moved position and when I looked the trap had gone off but the rat was just laying there beside it with no visible injuries apart from a small dot of blood on its nose. I was absolutely terrified and phoned OH. He told me to pick it up and throw it in the bin but I was too scared to do that in case it woke up. I came inside and got my grabber but this was such a huge rat it was difficult to pick it up with that. I somehow eventually managed to get it into a plastic bag that I knotted several times before placing it in the bin. Just in case it woke up.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 4th, 2022 at 02:06 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Deb (September 4th, 2022), Lloyd (September 4th, 2022)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •