Thread: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,491 Times in 4,012 Posts

Default Re: I've become the local hedgehog rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    How interesting it will be to see them grow up. Sad with the mother, something must have happened to her. I see hedgehogs almost daily this time of year. Passing cars are the worst danger. My neighbour feeds the local hedgehogs cat food, and they come around every night for it. I think the small ones must reach close to 700 grams as a minimum weight to survive winter. Last year there were stories of small hedhogs in trouble late in auntum. They survived in a family's home, and was awake all winter and was let out in spring.
    Cars are the main danger here too also the fact that their access to countryside and gardens is diminishing. They don't all stay in hibernation for the whole duration but wake up fairly regularly and come out for a bit of food.

Cat or kitten food is a good source of food for adults and youngsters. We had to make a special feeding box in order to ensure the hedgehogs could easily get in and eat it but access was a bit too twisty for cats.

At the right time of year our regular hedgehog visitor could be seen travelling across the lawn to the box every evening until she stopped coming and one evening two of them came out of the same box.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 3rd, 2022)