Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Neighbors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Wild Neighbors

FFS, the thread is titled "wild neighbors".

Cool pics, Chip. Our white tail will be starting growing their racks soon. We have 5 (2 doe, 3 fawns and one buck) that are regulars to the back yard. Coming in or out of the screen door to the porch rarely gets an ear twitch from them now.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Even here, the suburbs just 30 miles north of Boston, we have a lot of deer families strolling on our property. Encroachment.....

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

They are encroaching your "property?"

Or is your suburban property encroaching on their habitat?

Thanks

Our and the nearby towns have encroached on their habitat.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Hey folks… where I live there’s heaps of kangaroos. They hang out pretty close to city and suburbs. They are so common that I haven’t got any pics cos they are so taken for granted that if you want to see them, you usually only have to go a short distance from wherever you are to a place where they come out to feed….. often like parks and cleared areas.
    Unfortunately they also get hit on roads quite a lot , and it’s not uncommon at all to see them dead on the road side.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 15th, 2022), Deb (August 14th, 2022), Lloyd (August 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Never actually seen one.

When we anchored in Mansion House Bay, Kawau Island, NZ, there were wallabies cropping grass near the former governor-general's house.

It's quite a swim to the mainland and they haven't escaped and become a pest, like the possums.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Chrissy (August 15th, 2022), Deb (August 14th, 2022), Robalone (August 15th, 2022), Scrawler (June 8th, 2023), Yazeh (October 10th, 2022)

Thanks

There was a black bear cub in our yard yesterday.

It was sniffing around under a lilac bush where I pour waste rinse water from pans. At first I thought it was a dog.

After a look around for the mama, I shooed it away, down the slope toward the river. It was pretty timid.

I wonder if a deer hunter didn't kill its mother, poor thing.
    Last edited by Chip; March 6th, 2023 at 10:35 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 10th, 2022), Deb (October 11th, 2022), Lloyd (October 10th, 2022), Scrawler (March 6th, 2023), Yazeh (October 10th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Wow Chip. I'm not surprised you had a look around for the mama bear. I hear they can get quite protective when they have cubs around. I'm assuming they can be hunted in your State? I hope that the cub will survive. I've rescued 3 hedgehogs this year and have brought all of them to the stage where they can be released but I certainly wouldn't take on an orphan bear cub. Crikey. Imagine that in a back garden
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (October 11th, 2022), Lloyd (October 10th, 2022), Yazeh (October 11th, 2022)

Thanks

It was the size of a hefty lab, plus a thick coat of fur. Looked healthy. I'd guess it was last winter's cub and this will be its first hibernation.

It's illegal here to adopt wild animals, especially predators. If it had seemed ill, I'd have tried to trap it in a shed and called the Game & Fish Dept. They have shelters and a relocation program.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 11th, 2022), Deb (October 13th, 2022), Lloyd (October 11th, 2022)

Thanks

Cat v fox: what made Downing Street’s Larry so brave?

The chief mouser was seen on camera chasing away a larger intruder on his patch. Experts explain his behaviour

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent
    Thu 13 Oct 2022 09.54 EDT

Larry, the Downing Street cat, stepped up from mouser duties this week to chase an urban fox off his patch. The burly tabby was caught on camera intently stalking the fox before launching into a fully fledged pursuit when the trespasser tried to take cover in a flowerbed.

Larry emerges the victor, but the encounter has led some to wonder what gives cats the brazen confidence to take on larger animals such as foxes or dogs.

Experts say cat behaviour is strongly shaped by instincts that date back to their wild ancestors. Domestic cats are far more similar, genetically and in behaviour, to wild relatives than dogs are to wolves. As solitary hunters, establishing and maintaining control of territory in which to hunt and mate is central to the cat lifestyle. “Cats will confront most other animals if threatened, even dogs,” said Nicky Trevorrow, a behaviour manager at the charity Cats Protection. “This is because they’re naturally territorial – it’s an ingrained instinct – so will often challenge any other animals on their territory.”

Cats typically have favoured areas to sleep and eat and mark out their “home range” by spraying, rubbing their facial scent markers on objects and scratching around the area to warn off other cats. Cats patrol their territory along a network of paths, often on a regular schedule, allowing neighbouring cats to avoid encounters that could result in a standoff. A cat’s sex (unneutered males tend to be more confrontational), life experience and disposition play a role in how it will react to any encroachment on their territory.

“There is a lot of individual variation in how strongly they will react to perceived intruders, and whether they will take on animals, such as foxes, that are larger than themselves,” said Prof James Serpell, an animal welfare expert at the University of Pennsylvania. “If a cat’s first encounter with a fox causes that fox to run away, it will likely embolden the cat in any subsequent encounters with foxes.”

Foxes may be bigger with more powerful jaws, but evidence suggests other cats often prove more formidable adversaries. A 2013 analysis of VetCompass, a clinical database of vet visits, identified five confirmed and nine suspected fox fight injuries for each 10,000 vet visits by cats (there was no data to indicate how foxes fared in these scuffles). This compared with 541 in 10,000 for cats presented with cat bite injuries and 196 in 10,000 cats being presented after a road traffic accident.

“So to put fox attacks into context, other cats (40 times greater risk) and cars (14 times) appear to present much greater dangers to cats than foxes,” concluded Pete Wedderburn, a vet and broadcaster, who carried out the fox risk assessment.

“Cats and foxes usually pose no threat to one another and it’s unusual for any harm to be caused to either of them when in close proximity,” said Trevorrow. There may be some instinctive animosity between cats and foxes, as there is between cats and dogs, due to the species once competing for food. “Ancestrally, foxes competed directly with wildcats for food such as rodents and birds, and adult foxes probably posed a predation threat to young wildcats and kittens,” said Serpell.

Dennis Turner, the director of the Institute for Applied Ethology and Animal Psychology near Zurich, said: “Larry obviously feels at home at No 10 and is a large male. Although males, even intact ones, are usually more tolerant of other males – they have other things on their minds – they can still chase intruders away from their core areas of activity. Those include cats unknown to them, dogs and even foxes as in this case. Obviously this fox was one of the urban foxes living in and around London – but I bet it won’t come back for a while after this.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e_iOSApp_Other

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Copied from another thread:

Bear goes selfie-crazy by snapping 400 pictures on Colorado wildlife camera

A motion-activated camera near Boulder contained a surprise for officials monitoring wildlife activity

Guardian staff
    Sun 29 Jan 2023

When a curious bear stumbled upon a wildlife motion-activated camera near Boulder, Colorado, she ended up triggering hundreds of “selfies”, officials have said.

Coyotes, beavers, mountain lions, black bears, all kinds of birds and many other creatures inhabit the landscape outside town, and Boulder’s open space and mountain parks department – which states its function as preserving and protecting the natural environment and land resources – set out to monitor them. But they were amazed when they checked one camera out of many they have placed across thousands of acres and found that out of 580 images on it about 400 were of one bear, NBC News reported.

Most animals don’t notice the cameras, but officials said the bear appeared enthralled by this one.

“In this instance, a bear took a special interest in one of our wildlife cameras and took the opportunity to capture hundreds of ‘selfies’,” an open space and mountain parks spokesperson, Phillip Yates, told NBC in a statement this week.

“These pictures made us laugh, and we thought others would, too,” Yates added.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 7th, 2023), Scrawler (March 6th, 2023), Yazeh (January 29th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I am lucky to get wild visitors in my garden too. This was taken a couple days ago. They come very close to the house but are very skittish and run at the slightest movement.
    deergarden.jpg

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Chrissy (March 6th, 2023), dneal (March 5th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Nice. Whitetails? There are a few here, along the rivers. There's a large mule deer herd that winters in and around our place.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Chrissy (March 6th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (March 7th, 2023), Scrawler (March 6th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Yes whitetails. When you have these you know where the phrase "high tailed it out of there" came from, because that is all you usually see. We have 9 does and fawns and one 6 point buck living around here. The does are here every day. I think they heard I was putting grain out for the turkeys and started coming round. We had 24 of these coming round last year but I have only seen 4 toms so far this year. This really is one of the advantages of living is a rural setting.

turkey21.jpg

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 18th, 2023), JulieParadise (March 7th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (March 7th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Yes whitetails. When you have these you know where the phrase "high tailed it out of there" came from, because that is all you usually see. We have 9 does and fawns and one 6 point buck living around here. The does are here every day. I think they heard I was putting grain out for the turkeys and started coming round. We had 24 of these coming round last year but I have only seen 4 toms so far this year. This really is one of the advantages of living is a rural setting.

turkey21.jpg
    Unfortunately, these (turkeys and deer) come to my suburban community due to encroachment.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 7th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

We see deer, elk, moose, pronghorn antelope, black bear, cougar, coyote, fox, badger, beaver, mink, otter (rarely), bald eagle, golden eagle, osprey, various hawks and falcons, ravens, and various other species. Deb spotted some wolves about ten years ago.

We lived in New Zealand for a year and had a chance to move there, but we missed our wild neighbors. Good reason for coming home.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 7th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    We see deer, elk, moose, pronghorn antelope, black bear, cougar, coyote, fox, badger, beaver, mink, otter (rarely), bald eagle, golden eagle, osprey, various hawks and falcons, ravens, and various other species. Deb spotted some wolves about ten years ago.

We lived in New Zealand for a year and had a chance to move there, but we missed our wild neighbors. Good reason for coming home.
    Nice. I live in a clearing in the boreal forest of Eastern Ontario and see many animals and birds. No elk and probably no eagles. I had a cat that would stand on the footpath and tell larger animals like black bears and deer to go away. Some time ago the authorities released a large mink like animal called a fisher to control the porcupines, but they ended up eating the cats. The biggest birds we see are blue herons. They have been putting up nesting platforms on telegraph poles for the osprey. You must have owls. When I was building the extension to my house a barn owl nested in my rafters. I have been out on winter walks and have seen full body owl imprints in the snow where they swoop down and pick up prey.

I am very lucky to be able to live in this place and experience it as I do.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Surprise!!!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 7th, 2023), Scrawler (May 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks

With thunderheads on the horizon, I was doing household chores with the screen door open and a jazz album on the stereo: Time Out by the Brubeck Quartet.

A favorite piece, Strange Meadowlark, was playing. I heard the usual buzz of hummingbirds and then a single call, intricate and melodic. I peeked out but couldn't spot the bird, except as a gray-green shape hidden in the cottonwood leaves. We've got Bullock's Orioles and a Western Tanagers around, but I've not heard them sing. A warbler, perhaps? It kept singing, almost as if it was taking a solo in the jazz tune.

When the tune ended, it sang awhile, then flew away.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 7th, 2023), Yazeh (June 7th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    With thunderheads on the horizon, I was doing household chores with the screen door open and a jazz album on the stereo: Time Out by the Brubeck Quartet.

A favorite piece, Strange Meadowlark, was playing. I heard the usual buzz of hummingbirds and then a single call, intricate and melodic. I peeked out but couldn't spot the bird, except as a gray-green shape hidden in the cottonwood leaves. We've got Bullock's Orioles and a Western Tanagers around, but I've not heard them sing. A warbler, perhaps? It kept singing, almost as if it was taking a solo in the jazz tune.

When the tune ended, it sang awhile, then flew away.
    Love that album.

Yesterday, an adolescent robin was following its parent all around the yard, nagging for food. Next it'll be asking for the car keys. 😜

Also, first chipmunk sighting of the season. At least that's what I hope it was.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD