Thread: SIMPLE 'Care & Feeding' instructions.

Thanks

Default SIMPLE 'Care & Feeding' instructions.

I've sometimes given used pens to friends, but I'd think they'd only use them occasionally, - on greetings cards, or a special letter perhaps.
    It struck me that it would be good to be able to give them very simple instructions regarding how to keep the pens, how they might encourage flow if dried up etc.

I don't mean more 'involved' instructions for collectors like us, just minimal basic advice for occasional users.
    Any volunteers? (Or perhaps it's already been done?)
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,466 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: SIMPLE 'Care & Feeding' instructions.

If you're not using it then clean out the ink with water before putting it away.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Always make sure you clean up the nib after inking with a bit of tissue.

Remember that if a pen dried up, the feed as well as the nib needs to be wet for it to start working again. That might take a little coaxing for instance by screwing the converter up a bit to flood the feed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

What I send out to customers:

Care and feeding of your fountain pen...

A fountain pen, like any mechanical device, needs to be maintained. What needs to be maintained is on the inside of the pen. A fountain pen needs to be cleaned and flushed on occasion for proper performance.

Fill a small glass, like a juice glass with water and add about 10% household ammonia with a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. Just Dawn, not any other brand of dish detergent. Put the nib unit in the solution and let it soak for a while. Over night may be necessary if the pen is clogged. Then using the pen's filling system (lever, piston, plunger) flush the solution through the nib assembly several times. Empty the pen, dump out the ammonia solution, and flush with clear water until it comes out clean. Then wrap a paper towel over the end of the nib assembly, grasp it firmly, and shake it down with a snap as you would if shaking down a fever thermometer to shake out the excess water. Fill the pen with your choice of ink.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (August 30th, 2022), Chrissy (August 30th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (August 29th, 2022), joolstacho (August 29th, 2022), Yazeh (August 29th, 2022)

Thanks

Okay... getting there. Good advice thanks, - in addition how about something like:

Keep your pens flat (or if vertical which way up, nib up or nib down?)
    If the pen dries up after some time of non-use, before flushing completely, try just dipping the nib in ink (or water) and writing. Try shaking the pen.

(Remember we're 'talking' to non aficionados here - people who just want to pick up and use their pen occasionally, they won't want to flush and store the pen - that's for us 'pros'!).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    Okay... getting there. Good advice thanks, - in addition how about something like:

Keep your pens flat (or if vertical which way up, nib up or nib down?) Doesn't really matter.
    If the pen dries up after some time of non-use, before flushing completely, try just dipping the nib in ink (or water) and writing. Try shaking the pen. Definitely not! I would never advise anyone unfamiliar with fountain pens to just "Try shaking the pen" especially after dipping it in ink.

(Remember we're 'talking' to non aficionados here - people who just want to pick up and use their pen occasionally, they won't want to flush and store the pen - that's for us 'pros'!).
    If they want a pen that they can pick up and use occasionally without ever needing to clean or flush then maybe they should consider a rollerball. There aren't many fountain pens that will tolerate being left filled with ink over a long period and will start writing perfectly again once every blue moon or so.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 30th, 2022 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks

I would add that different inks and papers can work very differently with the same pen, so don't give up on a pen before you've tried a few variations with it. And that Pelikan Koenigsblau and Waterman Blue are great inks for getting started with and for trying new pens with.

Plus, get a pen rest. Pens have this dreadful habit of rolling, and your desk is never going to be 100% level in every direction. And floors are hard :-)

Thanks

Thanks guys. I think most sensible people rollerball it everyday. But I was hoping to seduce people into our inky World!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    I've sometimes given used pens to friends, but I'd think they'd only use them occasionally, - on greetings cards, or a special letter perhaps.
    It struck me that it would be good to be able to give them very simple instructions regarding how to keep the pens, how they might encourage flow if dried up etc.

I don't mean more 'involved' instructions for collectors like us, just minimal basic advice for occasional users.
    Any volunteers? (Or perhaps it's already been done?)
    Cheers.
    Do NOT get it wet.

Do NOT feed it after midnight.

Alternatively - this pen takes a special ink - if you fill it with the wrong ink - it won't work. Not only that, this pen will work better on some paper than others. So, if the pen won't write - first check your paper, and then your ink. It is entirely possible your pen has baby's bottom which does not need nappies, but smoothing which is done with a very fine form of sandpaper. If this is too much for you, use a pencil/biro/crayon which is much simpler.

The MB149, the weapon of a gentle person.

Do you think that might work?

(And we are surprised that the workld turned to a 20p bic biro?)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

There aren't many fountain pens that will tolerate being left filled with ink over a long period and will start writing perfectly again once every blue moon or so.
    I just read your comment Chrissy. I agree, that is the case with a lot of pens. But I also have several at the ready that have never let me down. My Dia2 works well, and writes every time, even after being loaded and ignored for months. My Pelikan 600s with the gold plated nibs, my Wing Wung 699 pens, and others as well. I have a brass Kaweco Sport and a hard rubber Stipula Passport that I carry in my pants pocket. I fill them once, maybe twice a year, and they always write when I need them.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    There aren't many fountain pens that will tolerate being left filled with ink over a long period and will start writing perfectly again once every blue moon or so.
    I just read your comment Chrissy. I agree, that is the case with a lot of pens. But I also have several at the ready that have never let me down. My Dia2 works well, and writes every time, even after being loaded and ignored for months. My Pelikan 600s with the gold plated nibs, my Wing Wung 699 pens, and others as well. I have a brass Kaweco Sport and a hard rubber Stipula Passport that I carry in my pants pocket. I fill them once, maybe twice a year, and they always write when I need them.
    I agree Ron, and I have some that are always ready to write too. I picked up a F-C Loom the other day that had last been inked months ago and it started writing immediately. My Montblancs also always write regardless of how long ago there were inked. Kaweco Sports also write for me after laying around with ink in there for ages. I think they are legendary for doing so. On the other hand my Parker 100 sulks and misbehaves if it isn't written with regularly, none of my Waterman pens write if they have been sitting there for months because all of the ink has evaporated, and my Delta 366 might still write for a few lines then it just gets paler and paler until its stops completely. It likes it's converter removed every few minutes.