Thread: Is converters more messy than piston pens?

Thanks

Default Is converters more messy than piston pens?

I seldom have 'inky fingers'.

I just now, had to dig out my 13 year old plastic bottle of Ink Nix, in I had 'inky fingers'. I seldom use pens with converters, having mostly piston pens.
    I don't see how a cartridge can make much inky fingers....seldom use cartridges either.

What the consensus on converters and inky fingers

Thanks

Default Re: Is converters more messy than piston pens?

A while back I began using a syringe to fill my converters. I can fill the converter to exactly the level I desire, and no 'inky fingers' (most of the time).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I can manage to not get inky fingers using either converters or piston fillers. I mostly get inky fingers when my fingers land too close to the nib at the end of the sections.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Inky fingers are a sign of merit.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I usually do not remove the converter from the pen when filling it.
    I Just suck the ink through the nib like with a piston filler.
    So no difference for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I usually do not remove the converter from the pen when filling it. I Just suck the ink through the nib like with a piston filler....
    Turbulence through the section and feed is a good thing.

Thanks

Usually no real difference for me,..... but, the top heavy Visconti ink bottle did fall over one day when I stuck the pen and converter in the bottle and ink ended up all over the desk, my pants, the floor, paperwork, my fingers, my shirt, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

With narrow bottle openings (i.e. Diamine 30ml), unstable ink bottles (i.e. old Visconti bottles) or samples, I will use a syringe to suck up the ink and put it into a converter. If the bottle opening large enough, I will leave the converter on the section and fill by placing the nib into the ink bottle and filling the converter that way, which is the same as a piston filler.

In either situation, after filling, I use a moistened paper towel to wipe the inside of the lid and the rim of the bottle off of excess or dried ink. In most case, I will not get ink on my fingers. But, truthfully, I am not concerned about having inky fingers since I know it will wash off soon.

The only time it is a problem is if I have a meeting to go to or something like that. Then I will generally use an ink remover.

Some people use latex/nitrile gloves to prevent ink from staining their hands.

Thanks

Finger Cots are your friend.

Thanks

I always use a blunt tip syringe (don't want to accidentally poke myself) and fill my converter pens and my eyedropper pens, always a very clean and easy way. If I really need them I keep nitrile gloves with my ink just in case. I've never liked dipping the pen in the ink for some reason but now in really wanting a vac700r so I guess I'll have to get used to dipping it in for that pen.

Also if you ever like to mix inks to see what colors you can make having a syringe with measurements on it is a must have.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

I either ink syringe a converter or stick the converter right in the bottle and suck up ink. Both ways are less inky fingery than a piston (for me - ymmv)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I dip my thumb in purple ink so people will think I voted in Iraq.

Thanks

I have to agree having inky fingers is an badge of honour but I also use a syringe to fill most stuff and have started converting many of my pens to dripper mode as I get so much more ink in the pen!
    I remember carrying around a ziplock of cartridges in the 90's when all you could get in Canada was cartridges in Blue Black or Red then J. Herbin came to Canada. then Noodlers started shipping to Canada. hehe and my life changed to colours!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

As far as filling converters goes I don't fill them on their own from bottles as the ink level is invariably to low to prevent my fingers from getting inky by touching the top of the bottle. Also, it is good practice to empty then refill your converter pens through the nib section as it cleans out any debris and then gets new clean ink straight into all of the feed channels.

If I ever needed to fill up a converter that wasn't inside a pen then a blunt syringe would do that job or these spring syringe fillers are really good
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Some folks like to use pen dipping continuously through writing. And some use a paint brush to paint the nib before writing. This apply to many dip pens and pens some fountain type pens such as Parallel or ruling pens.
    Some folks fill the tummy of the pen using a cartridge or a converter or piston filler. I fill my pens ( cartridges system) dipping the head directly to the ink with a little care. No fuss or hazed ink stains.
    Also I use many fountains pens as dip writers.

I learnt this from "Princess Diana"..She used to use every pen as dip pens. She had a Monntblanc and she was using it all the time as a dip pen. So when I read this in one of her biography books I had the attention to this point.
    I also had my first montblanc 146 at this time. It was very bad and very wet and I never used it for many years.than any pen.
    So I tried that dip technique and amazingly it's writing was somewhat better. And also I found something too. All my Mont Blanc pen dip writings were the longest Lines that gave. And I have a non reparable pen ONOTO pen that gives me the same writing capability as a dip writer with one dip I can write nearly a half page . So that Onto pen is still a workable piece of instrument. So that's how I learned my dip writing with fountain pens.

By the way I found some thing new... It is a royal habit to use a Fountain pen as a dip-pen as royal family do this as a ritual. ????
    Many of us has seen how Our" New KING CHARLEY BOY got his fingers inked when he tried to sign his NEW ROYAL EMBOSSING ON THAT PAPER IN BUBLIC. OH. LA LA LA..... He seemed to have missed his pen dipping.
    That's the reason Kings and queens used to have EMBOSSING RING TO REPLACE THEIR EMBOSSING. Yes it make sense
    Last edited by Cyril; October 31st, 2022 at 07:30 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

dmccullo (October 31st, 2022)