Thread: The Pizza Thread

Thanks

Default The Pizza Thread

Do you like pizza? Yes.
    What are your preferred toppings? Sausage, though I'll eat plain cheese and prefer it for deep dish. I'll also have onion and tomato now and then.
    Thin, thick or deep dish? I'll eat all three but prefer thin.
    Do you like pizza as a leftover and if so, do you eat it cold or warm it up? Yes. I usually warm it up (always in an oven) but I will eat it cold.
    Name your favorite pizza place: Barraco's (various locations in and around Chicago) There are others I liked slightly more but they have closed.

Feel free to answer these questions and/or make other comments on the food of the gods.
    Last edited by Zhivago; December 4th, 2023 at 01:41 AM.
    Looking for the now discontinued Uni-ball Millino mechanical pencil to buy or trade for (https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Millino-...0.5-mm/pd/6134). PM me if you have one or more you would care to part with.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 16th, 2023), Robert (November 16th, 2023), usk15 (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,015 Posts

Default Re: The Pizza Thread

We try to eat healthily so only have pizza approximately once every 2 weeks as a treat. However, we don't buy it ready cooked, we buy it frozen from the supermarket and have tried a few before we decided on our favourite version.

The topping contains tomato sauce, cheddar cheese, red and green peppers and pepperoni but we always add extra red pepper. I think it's called a fully loaded deep dish but I don't eat the crust. (Too much bread)

We bought a special flat metal oven cooking plate with holes in it that we always use but one day I hope to find oa similar pizza the right shape for cooking in our air fryer without having to try to cut it while it's frozen.

We eat air fryer home made fries with it.

Cold pizza? Absolutely not. Ugh.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    We try to eat healthily so only have pizza approximately once every 2 weeks as a treat. However, we don't buy it ready cooked, we buy it frozen from the supermarket and have tried a few before we decided on our favourite version.

The topping contains tomato sauce, cheddar cheese, red and green peppers and pepperoni but we always add extra red pepper. I think it's called a fully loaded deep dish but I don't eat the crust. (Too much bread)

We bought a special flat metal oven cooking plate with holes in it that we always use but one day I hope to find oa similar pizza the right shape for cooking in our air fryer without having to try to cut it while it's frozen.

This pizza reviewer I watch on YouTube has reviewed a handful of spots in London that specialize in pizza. Are pizzerias easy to find in other major UK cities?

"Healthy" is overrated. And cold pizza is better than you think.
    Looking for the now discontinued Uni-ball Millino mechanical pencil to buy or trade for (https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Millino-...0.5-mm/pd/6134). PM me if you have one or more you would care to part with.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks

We make most of our pizzas -maybe once a month or two. Last time, I had the strange urge for a taco pizza. You do that sort of thing when you're making them yourself. Anyhow, it was really good, so that's staying in the repertoire. Hot sauce for the base, the the usual taco toppings... Yum!
    The first time we did pizza, I asked my daughter what kind of pizza she liked and she sad "macaroni", so that's a regular thing now, too. It's better than you might think.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AlohaPens For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am working at Domino's as part-time job, started 5 years ago, but I will leave before Christmas though.
    I am a big fan of pizza, prefer PizzaHut over Domino's. Any pizza with more than 5 toppings over the cheese and tomato sauce base it's a nonsense, simpler the better!

Toppings?...pepperoni, chorizo, ground beef, chicken as for the meat, and pretty much all the veggies. I don't like fruits as toppings, even if tomato and olives are a bit of both worlds.

Any type of base is acceptable for me, but classic is my first choice. I can eat hot pizza in a restaurant, or take away, but I don't mind to have a next day pizza for breakfast along with a cold beer!

Pizza is one of the best food invented, easy to make and eat too.

Where I am, over the weekends and any bank holiday, football games, we are dealing with around/over 400 orders in 4-5 hours! With a good team we can make 4-5 pizzas a minute...Last year with the Football World Cup in November/December we have done 700 orders a day most of the days for the whole event and Xmass holidays.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 16th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (November 16th, 2023), Yazeh (November 16th, 2023), Zhivago (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

This pizza reviewer I watch on YouTube has reviewed a handful of spots in London that specialize in pizza. Are pizzerias easy to find in other major UK cities?

"Healthy" is overrated. And cold pizza is better than you think.
    I'm nowhere near to London (well 50+ miles away) and even if I was half as far away as I am it's not a place I would go to for pizza. Too big a city, too busy, too difficult. Would you queue up along an intercity route to buy a pizza when you had travelled for over an hour to get to the actual city where you would then need to find a pizzeria with nowhere to park anywhere nearby without getting your car towed away? I believe we have a Dominos Pizza about 4 miles away. Well I think we do because they deliver to my neighbours on their bikes. I still won't eat one cold. No idea about other cities but this place isn't anywhere near the same as the US with loads of malls and parking outside.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 16th, 2023 at 04:45 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do you like pizza? Yes

What are your preferred toppings? Cheese

Thin, thick or deep dish? Thin

Do you like pizza as a leftover and if so, do you eat it cold or warm it up? Yes, warm. Favorite method is a griddle (fry pan in a pinch). Cover it and it heats faster, nice tender top and crispy bottom. I dare say that it's better than fresh in many cases. If the pizza is more than a day in the fridge, wipe the bottom of the crust with some water before placing on the griddle.
    Cold is sometimes ok, it just depends on where it's from.

Name your favorite pizza place: Bread & Circus - Lafayette LA. Unfortunately, it was closed when I went back last year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    Do you like pizza? Yes.
    What are your preferred toppings? Sausage, though I'll eat plain cheese and prefer it for deep dish. I'll also have onion and tomato now and then.
    Thin, thick or deep dish? I'll eat all three but prefer thin.
    Do you like pizza as a leftover and if so, do you eat it cold or warm it up? Yes. I usually warm it up (always in an oven) but I will eat it cold.
    Name your favorite pizza place: Rosangela's in Evergreen Park, Il. There are others I liked even more but they have closed.

Feel free to answer these questions and/or make other comments on the food of the gods.
    All of the above and more, though I can only make a successful deep-dish at home. We're surrounded by decent pizza joints, so I can't really name a favorite.

Best pizza I ever had was eons ago at a tiny joint in Brooklyn.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I was young, there was a saying ' even bad sex is good sex" because well, it's sex.

I feel that way about pizza. Even pizza that's not my favorite I'll eat.

I have not eaten red meat since I was 18 so most of the time, its veggie. Sometimes chicken. Of course since I'm in New Mexico It has to have green Chile.

Saggios is a local favorite.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 16th, 2023), Zhivago (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Always loved pizza. Nowadays, inflation has priced me out of the market. Two or three times a year I can get a good Sicilian up the street. Topped with mushroom and red onion, it comes in just under $25. It is big enough for several meals, so there's that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 16th, 2023), Zhivago (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

There are a number of small local places that do decent pies here in San Diego, and you can find the range of styles if you just pick and choose. When forced to zero in, I'll always prefer a thin, crisp crust with a modest amount of toppings covering an excellent sauce. Needn't be exotic but I enjoy adventures, too. And then, when you think it's all fine and you are happy in your environment, you end up in NYC on a cold, damp night and sit down here and one slice says "yeah, whatever, THIS is a slice". It was really fun to have a good bite of reality.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (November 16th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (November 16th, 2023), Yazeh (November 16th, 2023), Zhivago (November 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

The best pizza I ever ate was in Milan, Italy (or as the locals say, Milano, Italia). It was a revelation, because it was nothing like the gooey fat and cholesterol and carb fest I'd been accustomed to gorging myself on back in the States. Milan is in Northern Italy, and their cuisine (oops, that's French), err, cucina is very different from Southern Italy's. I'm told that Siciliano style is more like what we think of as pizza in the US, but the Milanese pizza was very light, had a thin crust, only a modest amount of cheese, but what there was was very flavorful, fresh vegetables, and prosciutto that practically melted in your mouth without chewing.

I'm pretty sure it was Milan, but it may have been Florence. In any event, it was in the North.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 15th, 2023), Zhivago (December 15th, 2023)

Thanks

The mention of Italy inspires me to share a couple of my utube favorites...

First is one of the best utube channels I know, absolute professional presentations, historically documented and entertaining ---- Tasting History with Max Miller. If you have any interest in pizza, you'll love, Making the 2000 Year Old "Pizza" from Pompeii.

Another I like is Vincenzo's Plate --- an Italian chef living in Australia. How's that for some diversity! Watch his video on Neapolitan pizza.

Sadly, my credit card statement just closed --- and I have another month of not being able to afford a good pizza. Hope springs in the new year!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 22nd, 2023), Zhivago (December 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Do you like pizza? Of course.

What are your preferred toppings? Mushrooms, onions, black olives, and Canadian bacon. I occasionally omit either the olives or the meat.

Thin, thick or deep dish? I'll eat all three but prefer thin. Me, too.

Do you like pizza as a leftover and if so, do you eat it cold or warm it up? Cold, leftover pizza as breakfast food is a wonderful and completely different thing from "pizza".

Name your favorite pizza place: Carlo's in Charlotte and, best of all, the New York Italian pizzerias visited in my childhood decades and decades ago.

Feel free to answer these questions and/or make other comments on the food of the gods. In those Italian pizza parlors of yore, it was "pizza pie", not "pizza". Even Dean Martin said, "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore."
    Last edited by Niner; December 23rd, 2023 at 07:33 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 22nd, 2023), Zhivago (December 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I make pizza with my oldest kid weekly-ish most of the year. It's a practice. We make dough on Wednesday for pizza on Friday.
    Still refining the art but this year we had a breakthrough with our dough technique (took a class at a joint that has deadass perfect NY-style pies.)
    These are some typical results:

we double up our dough recipe to make 8 pies, cause if we only make 4 there are no leftovers to eat through the weekend.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 23rd, 2023), forester (December 23rd, 2023), Lloyd (December 23rd, 2023), Niner (December 23rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2023), Zhivago (December 23rd, 2023)