Thread: What can you tell me about this pen?

Thanks

Default What can you tell me about this pen?

I have a Parker pen which was given to me sometimes in the 1970's. As I recall, it came with a felt tip style cartridge, which I never much cared for. I later replaced it with a Parker roller ball cartridge. It fit okay, but didn't seem to be made for this pen. As you can see in the photo, its tip is smaller than the end of the barrel. The original cartridge had a closer fit. I'm relating this from my memory of nearly 50 years ago, so I might be mistaken, but this is what I recall. Looking on eBay, I don't see any roller ball Parker's with a removable cap like this one. . . . those are all fountain pens. Any information you can provide me about this pen would be greatly appreciated. Also, information on the best refill for this pen would be great as well.

Thanks!

Attachment 72166IMG_3818.JPGIMG_3820.JPGIMG_3821.JPG

Thanks

Default Re: What can you tell me about this pen?

hi, the pen belongs to the Parker 75 series in Sterling Silver. Check the web for "parker 75 sterling felt tip".
    This ebay listing shows an original set (felt tip pen with ballpoint).
    I think that the felt tip version of the Parker 75 Sterling Silver appeared in circa 1972.

Thanks

Jos,
    Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. So, are refills available for this pen? Is there a ballpoint refill?

Searching the web, I found This guy. . . https://www.moreengineering.co.uk/pa...bretipadaptors. He makes and sells adapters to allow the use of different refills. Has anyone ever used his services? Apparently, he was a Parker toolmaker back in the day, so I assume he knows his stuff. Too bad he's in faraway England.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I Googled "refill Parker 75 felt tip" and you might find some of the results valuable. Specifically the requirement for an adaptor with a Parker rollerball refill isn't always essential and it depends on where your pen was made. You might be able to find this information on your pen. There is also a possibility of adapting it with a ballpoint refill.

This thread may be old but is worth a read

Specifically this information may apply:

"The barrel inserts are not required for the U.S.A. made fiber/soft tip pens (with silver collar on section), Parker rollerball refills will fit without any modification whatsoever.

The barrel insert is only required if you are using the French made rollerball section with the wide gold band and have a rollerball barrel that is missing the insert or are converting a fountain pen barrel to be used as a rollerball barrel."
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The reference that Chrissy found suggests that your pen does not need an adapter. The original felt tip refill may have been a tiny bit wider at the front compared to the modern rollerball refills but your pen in fact looks like it originally looked with the felt tip refill.
    Here is a December 1972 advertisement from Esquire magazine introducing ("This is Parker's newest pen") the Parker 75 felt tip in Sterling Silver (the version in rolled gold and in Titanium was introduced a year earlier):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jos; September 15th, 2022 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    The reference that Chrissy found suggests that your pen does not need an adapter. The original felt tip refill may have been a tiny bit wider at the front compared to the modern rollerball refills but your pen in fact looks like it originally looked with the felt tip refill.
    Here is a December 1972 advertisement from Esquire magazine introducing ("This is Parker's newest pen") the Parker 75 felt tip in Sterling Silver (the version in rolled gold and in Titanium was introduced a year earlier):
    I agree. I didn't think the refill that was already in there looked untoward. (note: I don't think your image worked)

Thanks

Thanks again to all for this information. I think I’ll try a Parker rollerball refill, and see how it goes. Jos, you’re image of the ‘72 advertisement didn’t show up. It would be great to see.

Thanks

OP it's very unwise of you to have a username/avatar that is also your email address as anyone anywhere in the world can see it and you can't change it. Even if you ask the admin through Contact Us as it suggests at the bottom of every page , he's not very involved and is unlikely to assist.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

welch (October 2nd, 2022)

Thanks

That pen had a BP/MP little brother.
    I didn't know P-75 had a felt tip. Nor a 'roller ball'. I am not a Parker expert.
    I got the P-75 set new ($22 for the fountain pen, $18 for the MP/BP in '71/2. There was a P-75 smaller thinner BP, and a few years later near twin of the BP was called a Classic. (If there was a difference I couldn't see it.)
    (Learned this or last week)

There is a fountain pen forend for a P-75.
    It is posted a light and nimble fountain pen with very great balance.
    Do suggest turning it into a great fountain pen.

One can have much more fun with inks and nib widths than with a felt tip.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 15th, 2022 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

(note: I don't think your image worked)
    I always seem to have problems with inserting pictures in the text, I have now included it as an attachment in my first response: is it visible now?
    Last edited by jos; September 15th, 2022 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks

(note: I don't think your image worked)
    I always seem to have problems with inserting pictures in the text, I have now included it as an attachment in my first response: is it visible now?
    Yes. Maybe have a read of the FAQ' under the tab above ^^^^ Reading and Posting Messages - Attachments and Images.
    To attach an image from your computer use the Manage Attachments feature not the Insert Image feature above the post. If the image is just a regular link then use the Link feature above the post.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 15th, 2022 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

FaucetsPoint keeps users informed about the latest updates and changes in the faucet landscape. It tracks faucet availability, rewards, and any potential changes, ensuring users are always up to date. faucets point .com

Thanks

It sounds like you have a vintage Parker pen from the 1970s. Originally equipped with a felt tip style cartridge, you replaced it with a Parker roller ball cartridge, although the fit wasn't perfect, as the roller ball's tip was smaller than the end of the barrel. Roller ball Parker pens with removable caps like yours seem to be less common, as most on eBay are fountain pens. The details you've provided indicate a unique and potentially valuable piece. For the best refill, I recommend exploring Parker-style ballpoint pen refills, which should provide a smooth writing experience for your pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonewitz@gmail.com View Post
    I have a Parker pen which was given to me sometimes in the 1970's. As I recall, it came with a felt tip style cartridge, which I never much cared for. I later replaced it with a Parker roller ball cartridge. It fit okay, but didn't seem to https://www.viberate.com/music-analy...ify-analytics/ be made for this pen. As you can see in the photo, its tip is smaller than the end of the barrel. The original cartridge had a closer fit. I'm relating this from my memory of nearly 50 years ago, so I might be mistaken, but this is what I recall. Looking on eBay, I don't see any roller ball Parker's with a removable cap like this one. . . . those nakiri knives are all fountain pens. Any information you can provide me about this pen would be greatly appreciated. Also, information on the best refill for this pen would be great as well.

Thanks!

Attachment 72166IMG_3818.JPGIMG_3820.JPGIMG_3821.JPG
    It's wonderful that you have a vintage Parker pen from the 1970s! Based on your description, it sounds like the pen you have is a rollerball pen with a removable cap. Parker has a long history of producing quality writing instruments, and their pens are known for their craftsmanship and design.

Regarding the cartridge compatibility and fit, it's not uncommon for older pens to have specific cartridges that were designed for them. It's possible that the rollerball cartridge you replaced might not have been a perfect fit because it wasn't designed for that specific model of pen. Vintage pens often have specific cartridge or refill types that work best with their design.

For the most accurate information about your pen and its compatibility with cartridges, it would be helpful to consult Parker's official resources, historical catalogs, or even seek advice from vintage pen enthusiasts and collectors. There are online communities and forums dedicated to pen enthusiasts where you might find helpful insights about your specific model.

As for finding the best refill for your pen, there are various modern rollerball refills available that might fit your pen's design. However, since the pen is vintage, it might be challenging to find an exact match. Experimenting with different refill brands and sizes might be necessary to find the one that fits and writes well in your pen.
    When searching for the best refill, consider looking for rollerball refills that are compatible with Parker pens and have a similar tip size to what you remember from the original cartridge. Some well-regarded brands for rollerball refills include Schmidt, Monteverde, and Parker itself.
    Lastly, for accurate information about your specific pen model and cartridge compatibility, I recommend reaching out to vintage pen experts, Parker enthusiasts, or even Parker's customer service for guidance. They might be able to provide you with more details and help you find the appropriate refill for your cherished pen.

Thanks

You can use a Parker ballpoint or rollerball refill in these P75 Felt Tip pens but you need an adapter, as explained here: https://www.parker75.com/Reference/S...on_adapter.htm. It is the same adapter that came standard with the Big Red ballpoints.

Thanks

The previous three posts that resurrected this thread before "jos" posted again yesterday were all posted by spambots. Be especially careful about Replying with Quotes to spambot Filip7 because that spambot includes hidden links in his rambling spambot texts. Check it out by clicking on his Avatar name and Viewing Previous Posts where you can see his hidden links in that list. Please be aware to never Reply with Quotes to spambots like this or you will actually unhide the link and post it in your post. Then even if the spambot is removed your post will always remain and show the spam link.
    On this occasion the spambot has inserted two hidden links about vibrators and knives into the original text that he has quoted from the OP. Really sneaky.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 18th, 2023 at 03:07 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jos (August 19th, 2023), Stands on Feet (August 18th, 2023), welch (August 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Hi Chrissy, thank you for your message. I am disappointed that a spambot was able to fool me. I had not noticed the two inserted links in the spambot's reply, although they are plainly visible. I will be more careful in the future. Nonsensical text is easy recognizable spam (as the one from 'Herry' above) while others are not that obvious (as the one from 'sarataylor' above), unless recent membership should always be seen as a red flag. I definitely have to read more on how recognizing spambots on online fora.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 19th, 2023)

Thanks

Don't feel bad. They have fooled many in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

One other obvious thing to look out for is that they always seem to resurrect old and/or dead threads. Therefore if, like me, you search for New Posts you can see what date the OP posted the thread. He has not been back here for almost a year but many resurrected threads are older than this.

The date of OP is easy to spot if you look for it. Then at least you can be wary when you look at replies.