Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Migrants Sent to Martha's Vineyard by DeSantis

Thanks

Default Re: Migrants Sent to Martha's Vineyard by DeSantis

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Are you the prosecutor or the judge?

Maybe both?

In any event, it's your mess. Deal with it.
    Thanks, I will........
    Actually, I have been doing so in spite of your repeated, nonsensical interruptions.

You have a nice day and, please, stop mistaking the sound of the "bleating" you have been hearing.
    You see, it's not me you are hearing, its the sheep whining in utter disgust after you have tried to have "your way" with them.

Thanks

Yeah, deal with it dude. I’m 6’7” , camped in the snow, rode miles on mules, walked barefoot in the snow 6 miles to school both ways………😂😂😂😂😂

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Yeah, deal with it dude. I’m 6’7” , camped in the snow, rode miles on mules, walked barefoot in the snow 6 miles to school both ways………����������
    Hey Chuck, so good to hear from you.

It sure would be great if you could get around to putting up the link (or a screenshot) of my alleged threat.
    Hopefully you agree, it would be nice to bring this all to some closure.

As an added incentive, once you put up the threat you allege I made..... for all to see..... I promise I will never come back to this sub-forum again.
    After all my assertions that I never said that, if you prove I did so, how could I ever have any credibility with anyone here?

Thanks

Sorry, can’t read your posts. 😂😂

Thanks

Sorry, can’t read your posts. ����
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

("The Thing Speaks For Itself")

Upward and onward. Case closed.

Thanks

Maybe both?

He camped in deeper snow, @chip. I’d back off before the threats begin!!

Thanks

Maybe both?

He camped in deeper snow, @chip. I’d back off before the threats begin!!

Sorry Chuck, I'm not taking the bait.
    You've conceded and I'm moving on....I've had as much of you stooges as I can stand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    You always say you're going to leave but never do.
    Huh, excuse me?
    If the topic is someone promising to leave, I believe that would be you..............

As for my comment about "moving on" (just above in post #68) I was referring to this thread. Not FPG.
    Sorry!!!!!

Thanks

It will be interesting to interview these folks in 20 years and see how they progressed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

DeSantis must have a copy of the Jim Crow playbook.

When Segregationists Offered One-Way Tickets to Black Southerners

The “reverse freedom rides” of 1962 were meant to provoke Northern politicians, and have drawn comparisons to the recent flights of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard.

By Jacey Fortin
    Oct. 14, 2022

When two planeloads of asylum seekers were flown to Martha’s Vineyard last month, Peola Denham Jr. recognized an echo of his own experience from six decades ago — one nearly forgotten in the long history of Black Americans’ struggle for civil rights.

“What really took me back,” recalled Mr. Denham, 73, “is that when the people got to their destinations, they didn’t get what they were promised.”

The migrants on Martha’s Vineyard, who were primarily from Venezuela, found themselves repeating history, pawns in a political fight. The promise — as dozens of them would later recount to lawyers and journalists — was of jobs and resettlement help. Instead, they arrived with no warning to the community, which nevertheless scrambled to find them food and shelter.

For Mr. Denham, in the spring of 1962, the promise came in the form of bus and train tickets offered to his family and other Black Southerners by members of the White Citizens’ Council, a segregationist group, to take them to Northern and Western states where many were promised jobs and housing.

“My parents, coming up the way we came up, and all the hardships we were having in segregated Baton Rouge — I guess that’s the reason why they were ready to get out."
    That’s how Mr. Denham, at 12 years old, found himself on the Southern Pacific Railway from Baton Rouge, La., to Los Angeles, along with his father, stepmother and nine siblings.

They were among a couple hundred participants in what came to be known as the reverse freedom rides, a segregationist political stunt that had ripple effects across generations of Black families, and whose parallels were noted by historians and others after the migrant flights touched down in Martha’s Vineyard.

Mr. Denham’s memories of his train ride and its origins are hazy. His stepmother, he said, was interested in the tickets because she had relatives in California. “My parents, coming up the way we came up, and all the hardships we were having in segregated Baton Rouge — I guess that’s the reason why they were ready to get out,” he said.

Mr. Denham remembers a rush of reporters approaching the family when the train made a stop in Texas, telling his parents that their tickets had been paid for by racists, which he said surprised and upset them. Mr. Denham also remembers arriving at a Los Angeles train station, where the family was again mobbed by reporters.

Clive Webb, a professor of American history at the University of Sussex, said the reverse freedom rides — concocted in response to the Freedom Rides organized by civil rights groups to challenge segregation on interstate buses — attracted plenty of media attention at the time, but have since been largely overlooked. In a 2004 paper on the subject, he estimated that more than 200 Black Southerners took the free tickets.

Where were the migrants from? The 48 migrants who were taken from a shelter in San Antonio to Martha’s Vineyard in mid-September are Venezuelans who had crossed the southwest border without authorization and had turned themselves in to border officials; many likely planned to claim asylum. After being taken into custody, they had been released to face future proceedings.

Who flew them to Martha’s Vineyard? Why? The migrants were sent to the island in two planeloads by Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, a Republican. The move was one in a series of similar drop-offs, often by bus, to Democratic strongholds orchestrated by Republican governors in recent months as a way to provoke public outrage over migrant arrivals at the border. What happened to the migrants after they arrived on the land? Volunteers and officials in Martha’s Vineyard welcomed the migrants with food and clothing and gave them shelter at a local church. A few days later, the migrants boarded buses for a temporary shelter at Joint Base Cape Cod.

Are the drop-offs legal? Once migrants have been released and served documents to appear in court, they are free to travel within the United States; it is not illegal for a state government to pay for that travel. But on Sept. 20, the migrants taken to Martha’s Vineyard filed a lawsuit against Mr. DeSantis and other state officials, accusing them of engaging in a “fraudulent and discriminatory scheme” by lying about where they were being taken.

Are the claims being investigated? Yes. A county sheriff in Texas has opened a criminal investigation into the drop-offs, saying that it was clear that many of the migrants had been misled and lured away from Texas to score political points. The sheriff, who has been a critic of the Republican handling of illegal immigration, added that his decision to open the investigation was not politically motivated.

But the Martha’s Vineyard flights, along with the busing of Central American migrants to the vice president’s residence in Washington last month, dredged the reverse freedom rides back into public consciousness. A letter signed by some House Democrats accused the Republican governors who arranged the trips of “using the same ploys” as the segregationists of 1962, while the Biden administration accused them of using the migrants as political pawns.

“No historical parallel is ever precise,” Dr. Webb said of the comparisons between the migrant trips and the reverse freedom rides. “But it was a cheap publicity stunt in the early ’60s, and this is a publicity stunt, too.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/14/u...e=articleShare

Thanks

He might have misunderstood you, but there must have been something in the content or the tone to make him feel threatened.
    This is an EoC-ism: there's nothing there, but he feels threatened. Emotion unsupported by fact.