Thread: (Article) Gen Z never learned to read cursive

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Default (Article) Gen Z never learned to read cursive

Gen Z Never Learned to Read Cursive
    How will they interpret the past?
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istory/671246/

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Chrissy (September 20th, 2022), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2022), Robalone (January 21st, 2023), Robert (September 19th, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (September 21st, 2022), TFarnon (September 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: (Article) Gen Z never learned to read cursive

Thanks so much for the post, catbert - a fascinating albeit sad read. I've long known about the slow, steady decline in cursive instruction but didn't realize it was quite this bad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I read this the other night. I was reminded of a friend who is a university professor; it was at least 10 years ago she told me about how students started coming to her, asking about the comments she wrote in their papers - that they couldn't read them. An FP aficionado, she thought maybe it was the color ink she used but... no, they simply couldn't read her (impeccable) cursive script.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (September 19th, 2022), Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Chrissy (September 20th, 2022), Robalone (January 21st, 2023)

Thanks

Saying it to myself: "Okay, Boomer". At 63, that's what I am. I started learning American cursive just before we moved to England. There, I was taught what was basically an italic hand, only slightly more cursive. Then, it was off to Germany, where I learned to write with a fountain pen in the German cursive style. I was also expected to learn Suetterlin, although I didn't have to write in it. I just had to be able to read it. As for the fountain pens, they were required. No ball point pens, except to write over patches where we had used some salty-tasting ink eraser substance. The German cursive style stuck with me, with a few modifications (notably the capital "S", where I switched to an Italic S rather than the American S) when we returned to the United States. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't pick up the rounded "Cheerleader Gothic" beloved of my female friends. My hands just don't write that way. I started fooling with calligraphy in my early 20s, mostly using an Italic hand. That crept into my cursive style a little bit. And then I learned to write Russian (Cyrillic) cursive, and it has had the most influence on my handwriting after the German style. I write now with a German-Cyrillic-Italic mix spiced up with chickenscratch.

I can't imagine not being able to read cursive in English, German, Suetterlin (German) or Russian. It might take some effort, but I can do it even in Suetterlin. That Suetterlin was detested by Hitler and the Nazi regime only makes me more determined to decipher it. Ayup. I bear a grudge that precedes my own birth (1959).

On an aesthetic level, unless it's bordering on calligraphy, I hate to read things handwritten in a printed style. It bugs me. There are situations where I expect a printed style, notably block caps on most engineering diagrams and drawings, and architectural renderings. But beyond that? Ugh!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Chrissy (September 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

I think it's great. We olds can plot against our young overlords in a secret script!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), InesF (February 13th, 2023), Jon Szanto (September 21st, 2022), Prettypenguin (January 26th, 2023), Robalone (October 11th, 2022), Robert (September 20th, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (September 21st, 2022), Stands on Feet (January 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Thankfully, handwriting seems to be returning as part of the curriculum, at least in our school district. I have a set of fountain pens waiting for kiddo.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am dealing with this right now and I think it’s very important. I have a 12 year old grandson whose father is in the Service and who has attended multiple elementary schools. His first school in West Virginia taught the kids cursive handwriting so he’s had some exposure but after he moved to some pretty sophisticated places, there was no handwriting taught. He’s rejecting my suggestions that he learns cursive writing, and says his teachers are only interested in “characters per minute” proficiency on the keyboards.
    I think this lack of knowledge of handwriting will cost youngsters some opportunities in the future. Sometimes they are going to be without their computers or other electronic devices, and will need to know this skill to be successful. At least it will give them a competitive edge in communicating, understanding, written, documents, and historical basis, and even taking notes in class when their batteries die!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Berman For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Robert (January 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Nor have they learned history, geography, critical thinking, manners, common courtesy, how to cook, the ability to remember a phone number or six, a second language, and ....... Our future leaders.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmachanic For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 27th, 2023)

Thanks

I retired from a career as a public school teacher in July 2022. In my experience, students in the majority were able to both read and write cursive.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Chuck Naill (January 22nd, 2023), Lloyd (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    Nor have they learned history, geography, critical thinking, manners, common courtesy, how to cook, the ability to remember a phone number or six, a second language, and ....... Our future leaders.
    Some, perhaps, maybe a significant percentage, and yet I have met, known, and worked with people from these upcoming generations that are as remarkable in their skills, ethics, and aspirational motivations as any older people I have met. The future of cursive is one thing, but there are still many good humans to count on in the decades to come.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), Chuck Naill (January 22nd, 2023), Deb (January 23rd, 2023), TSherbs (January 22nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countrydirt View Post
    I retired from a career as a public school teacher in July 2022. In my experience, students in the majority were able to both read and write cursive.
    I recently retired after 37 years teaching. I agree, and have said so here several times.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 23rd, 2023), countrydirt (January 23rd, 2023), Lloyd (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Wait, is this parody?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Wait, is this parody?
    It isn't. It is an old person looking down on others, and it is not a good practice. The thing is, there are many 60 plus year olds who are no different. I bid everyone adieu. I have sushi to eat...LOL!!
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    It isn't. It is an old person looking down on others, and it is not a good practice.
    It isn't, but neither is judging people by their age. I'm closing in on 70 and I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; January 25th, 2023 at 06:04 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, if it's not parody, then it's just wrong, regardless of the age of its author.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 25th, 2023), Lloyd (January 28th, 2023)