Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin McCarthy"s Republican Plan

Thanks

Default Kevin McCarthy"s Republican Plan

I like the way she describes the Republican plan, "Then the document gets to the heart of its argument, recycling MAGA talking points in language that makes it very attractive. Who doesn’t want national safety, for example?"
    https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...m_source=email

I'll ask our MAGA members to critique her appraisal and explain how the Republicans are going to be more effective than Biden.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: Kevin McCarthy"s Republican Plan

They aren't going to be more "effective."

But they will be more *MAGA*.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 651 Posts

Better hats.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

I wholeheartedly support commitment for this bunch— to a facility for the criminally insane.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

So I finally got around to reading this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Cox Richardson
    But the first topic—making the economy strong—is a paraphrase of what the Biden administration has been doing. The Republicans call for fighting inflation and lowering the cost of living, making America energy independent, bringing down gas prices, strengthening the supply chain, and ending the country’s dependence on China.

This is quite literally the platform of the Democrats, but while the Republicans offer no actual proposals to contribute to these goals, Biden has taken concrete steps to address inflation by taking on the shipping monopolies that hiked transportation costs, for example, while Democrats in Congress have passed legislation capping the cost of certain prescription medications. Biden has released reserves to help combat high gas prices, which have now fallen close to their cost last March—a barrel of oil is now under $80—while expanding our nation’s pool of truck drivers and just last week averting a train strike that would have endangered supply chains. The incentives in the Inflation Reduction Act are designed specifically to make America energy independent while addressing climate change, and Biden’s extraordinary efforts to support economic development in the Indo-Pacific region, along with the CHIPS and Science Act, were explicitly designed to reduce U.S. dependence on China.
    If that were not ironic enough, she includes this:

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Cox Richardson
    In short, the document feels like the doublespeak from George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984. To defend the indefensible, Orwell wrote in an essay titled “Politics and the English Language,” “political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness…. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink.”
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I note you don’t provide any rebuttal. That’s smart!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I note you don’t provide any rebuttal. That’s smart!!
    Your recent trolls in a pathetic attempt for some attention aren't worth responding to, but I'll entertain this one because you (and HCR) are so absurd that it warrants pointing out. I note you don't provide any rebuttal to McCarthy's proposal. That's smart!!

What's not smart is thinking the op-ed from Heather Cox Richardson is one, let alone using it as a substitute for your inability to make one.

But let's start with determining what would be sufficient for you, Chuck. Something like your "rebuttal" of Victor Davis Hanson?

Fine. Heather Cox Richardson is a known anti-Trumper. So she's not credible, right? Harrumph. I win.

The truth is that reality rebuts the portions I quoted above. It's obvious, but neither you nor HCR can see that from the depths of your echo-chambers; which prompts me to also ask: "Rebuttal? To what end?

Are either of you going to argue that a 40 year high inflation rate is the Democrat platform to improve the economy, which she claims the Republicans are trying to copy? But the economic argument is too easy for you blue-anon kooks to obfuscate, so let's use the other example since it is crystal clear.

HCR argues above that McCarthy's document feels like Orwell. Really? There are countless examples, but I'll simply ask which party is trying to convince everyone that men can have menstrual periods (or babies, ferchrissakes!)? Which party labels conservative African Americans as "black white supremacists"?

Tune back into your telescreen, until HCR issues another missive from the Ministry of Truth.

Thanks

I didn’t read anything that would constitute a rebuttal. If I am a troll, so be it.

Thanks

People should listening to Jan 6 broadcasts. We don’t live in parallel universes. When you hear primary sources say things, pay attention. Heather Cox Richardson provides a daily bibliography which leads to her as a reliable source.

Thanks

However, there is a difference in trolling and liars, either willfully or ignorantly.

Thanks

Heather Cox Richardson provides a daily bibliography which leads to her as a reliable source.
    And her bibliography for this piece?

A HuffPost piece on the "commitment to America" plan.
    A 60 minutes tweet
    A PBS article
    A Ronald Klain (White House Chief of Staff) retweet of a Biden tweet.

Pay attention, indeed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Heather Cox Richardson provides a daily bibliography which leads to her as a reliable source.
    And her bibliography for this piece?

A HuffPost piece on the "commitment to America" plan.
    A 60 minutes tweet
    A PBS article
    A Ronald Klain (White House Chief of Staff) retweet of a Biden tweet.

Pay attention, indeed.
    Do you disagree with the sources? If so, where are those sources in error. If so, provide the correct information using your preferred sources.

Thanks

Well, this thread will get some updating, no doubt.

Thanks

Defunded the IRS.

From a recent op-Ed that made me reconsider the historical cry for cutting social insurance.

“ Extreme opposition to social insurance and the safety net is, in that case, a natural fit for an authoritarian movement that tried to overturn the constitutional order and now wants to use the power it has to clean up as much of the scene of the crime as it can manage.”

Jamell Bouie

Thanks

Yes, the "law and order" party has an * after it:

*just not tax-law and order

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

If you invite devils into your house, then you must feed them.

—Afghan proverb

Thanks

Thing is, do most Americans want what the Republicans are selling? I cannot imagine so. Do most Floridians want what DeSantis is doing?
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Elections don't always result in what "most people" want, and certainly the enactment of law is not always what "most people" want. Our system was not designed to solicit or honor what "most people" want. Our founders spoke or wrote expressly against this idea.

Thanks

At the simplist of levels, if only 50% of those eligible to vote (in a campaign for office) actually do vote, and then that vote is, say, split 55-45, then someone is being elected by, say, 22% of the population of adult residents of a district (not all of whom are eligible voters). Hardly "most people."

Thanks

Well, it has begun. The Biden inquiry is starting. This should take up or waste two years.

Ironically the same are going after George Santos. They say he has disgraced the House of Representatives. Hey, hold on. What about Greene and Gaetz???
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8