Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My day the the MB boutique

Thanks

Default My day the the MB boutique

Had a very pleasant time at the boutique. I was served water and 3 out of 4 people working knew my name and greeted me by name when I walked in...LOL

I went in to pick up my Heritage edition pen and the process could not have been better. Kind courteous treatment at every turn. 2 of the staff were very interested in a couple of vintage MBs I have recently acquired. Both are fountain pen users and the tried out the pens and made the appropriate noises.

So I sat down with a nice glass of water and a staff person explained all of the features of the heritage. Since I came to pick it up there was no danger of leaving without it, but I appreciated the gesture anyway. The pen is very interesting. It has a comforting weight to it and is exceptionally balanced. I liked the pictures showing its simplicity and quiet style but holding it is a different matter. The deep black barrel gleams and the clip is a great accent. The nib, I was told, is a brand new design. It has a very nice amount of spring without overly spreading the times. This gives the nib a very soft feel. I also noted that STOD was engrave on the nib. I also like the fact the nib is a white gold color instead of yellow which imho would clash horribly with the rest of the pen. The size of the pen is deceptive. When capped the nib has to be retracted so the pen is a nice compact size. When capped to pen is 4 3/4 inches. However, when uncapped and the nib extended the pen is 5 inches. I was not sure about the emblem on the cap when I saw the first pictures of this pen. However, in person, this emblem has a subtle sheen that complements the simple beauty of the rest of the pen. Overall, I am very happy with this pen.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

00Photo (April 14th, 2014), Aleks (April 15th, 2014), Bogon07 (June 2nd, 2014), Crazyorange (April 14th, 2014), Fawkes (August 26th, 2013), jackwebb (April 14th, 2014), KrazyIvan (August 26th, 2013), Marsilius (July 19th, 2014), Mesu (November 2nd, 2014), trhall (April 14th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: My day the the MB boutique

That is a nice looking pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I'm always leery of a pen with prominent threading right in the gripping area, but you don't seem to mind (or didn't mention it). This pen looks like it could have come from the Franklin-Christoph studios...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm always leery of a pen with prominent threading right in the gripping area, but you don't seem to mind (or didn't mention it). This pen looks like it could have come from the Franklin-Christoph studios...
    Because the pen is longer with the nib extended one's finger tend to rest about 1/4 inch above the threads. it really is not an issue, at least for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I'm very seriously considering purchasing this one and you may have just pushed me over the edge.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

That's really neat. Do you know how much it weighs, capped and uncapped?

Thanks

I do not have a scale. However, according to someone on FPN the pens weighs 48 grams capped. A nice hefty pen, but not uncomfortably so.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

Laura N (August 25th, 2013)

MisterBoll

I've never been a fan of Mont Blanc and I've never lusted after any of their pens with the exception of some older models. For some reason I was struck by this pen and reading Jon Szanto's post I realize my profound admiration of Franklin-Christoph could have set this off.

I did make a trip to the local MB boutique to write with one since it's not selling for small change and also had a chance to try out several nib sizes - finally hitting the spot with an OB. The weight, slightly on the heavy side, offsets the somewhat small size perfectly.

Not wanting to spend more than I'd rather I ordered it from a wonderful shop in Europe where it was considerably less expensive than the oh-so-elegant MB boutique - and they will supply it with an OB nib so no pesky six week wait nib exchange.

Have I been assimilated into the MB fold (?) - no but this is a really nice pen that will get much use.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2013), reicel (April 20th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBoll View Post
    Not wanting to spend more than I'd rather I ordered it from a wonderful shop in Europe where it was considerably less expensive than the oh-so-elegant MB boutique...
    Care to share? And I hope you aren't pinning an MB obsession on anything *I* might have said - perish the thought!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

MisterBoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBoll View Post
    Not wanting to spend more than I'd rather I ordered it from a wonderful shop in Europe where it was considerably less expensive than the oh-so-elegant MB boutique...
    Care to share? And I hope you aren't pinning an MB obsession on anything *I* might have said - perish the thought!
    I will share - La Couronne du Comte. Charming folk to do biz with. Although it would be good to have some one to blame this on I am placing the blame squarely on the blue full moon we just encountered.

In so far as MB is concerned...............

"Mont Blanc pens produce a "downer" effect that rapidly induces a state of relaxation and euphoria (related to chemical changes in the pleasure centers of the brain). Unlike other pens, Mont Blanc use blocks the brain's ability to perceive pain. Mont Blanc abusers, particularly those with a rather large collection, may initially be able to conceal signs and symptoms of their fountain pen use.

Loved ones or co-workers may notice a number of signs of Mont Blanc use, which are visible during and after ink consumption:

Shortness of breath
    Dry mouth
    Constricted (small) pupils
    Sudden changes in behavior or actions
    Disorientation
    Cycles of hyper alertness followed by suddenly nodding off
    Droopy appearance, as if extremities are heavy"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

I went to the MB boutique and nearly walked out with a Timewalker. That's a $3,200 watch. Okay, not nearly, but I really wanted to...

MisterBoll

One thing I will add - the people in the MB boutique were so relaxed and very friendly. Not only that - they were very knowledgeable of the products. They did have one of the limited all metal ultra expensive Heritage 1912's from last year but I figured I might get struck by lightening if I dare touch it.

This was after a brief walk through Paradise Pens which turned me into an educator for the brief time I was there.

Thanks

Sounds like you had a nice experience, orfew. I've found MB's boutiques to range in level of service offered. For instance, I bought my Swift in the Prague boutique while I was living in the city. They offered me coffee, cappuccino, champagne, cookies, etc. Had a wonderful desk and chair to sit in. Great service. In my local boutique in Short Hills, NJ I have never been offered anything of any kind and not once did they invite me to sit in their desks. Mind you, I have made some expensive purchases at that boutique in the past. So, I guess it just depends on the location.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your pen. I ordered mine from the online boutique and love it. I also don't find the section threads uncomfortable either.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by Fawkes; August 26th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Less is More. - Mies van der Rohe/Less is a Bore. - Robert Venturi

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

I got a personal thank you card delivered in the mail after my purchase. I also mentioned something about one of my pens in a passing conversation, and he remembered about it and asked if I still wanted to follow up with it. Very good imo.

Thanks

Thanks for posting your experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Neat looking pen, I like these nods to classic designs. Is it actually an eyedropper fill like the old safeties or does it take a cartridge? It isn't obvious from the pictures.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Neat looking pen, I like these nods to classic designs. Is it actually an eyedropper fill like the old safeties or does it take a cartridge? It isn't obvious from the pictures.
    Hi Tandaina, Thanks for the comments. it is a piston filler. The knob at the end has a dual purpose. If you twist it you will retract or extend the nib. If you pull the knob it will click and you can then twist it and operate the piston. It is a very elegant solution imho. I like that it looks like a safety and operates as a piston filler. The nib is also one of the softest MB nibs I have ever tried.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orfew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Hi Tandaina, Thanks for the comments. it is a piston filler. The knob at the end has a dual purpose. If you twist it you will retract or extend the nib. If you pull the knob it will click and you can then twist it and operate the piston. It is a very elegant solution imho. I like that it looks like a safety and operates as a piston filler. The nib is also one of the softest MB nibs I have ever tried.
    Sounds down right perfect.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I've had the exact same experience in the boutiques I've visited except I usually only leave with ink and a rough idea of how many organs I need to sell.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I was downtown on business today and went into the Michigan Avenue boutique. I got to look at the Steinways, which are surprisingly nice. Then there's a Rita Hayworth special edition that they are making in a very small number that looks like a nice place to park that $38,000 that's been burning a hole in your pocket.

Back down to earth, I saw the rose gold trim LeGrand and 149 that are new for the 90th anniversary of the Meisterstück line. They seem to be the same price as the regular pens, but I didn't really pin that down. The rose gold looked very nice to me: not flashy or tacky, just warm and attractive. I didn't think to check the nib, which must look nice. There also was a smaller pen model with the rose gold trim, and there were rollerballs, etc. Finally there is a special 90th anniversary ink in permanent gray.

I asked if the rose gold trim LeGrand is limited, and apparently it is not, but only this year's models will have a special 90th anniversary marking. I guess, though, that how long the trim is offered may depend on how well it sells.

Truly, the Chicago Boutique staff members are always nice, and I always love going in there. But part of me wishes I hadn't seen the rose gold.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

00Photo (April 16th, 2014), kaisnowbird (April 20th, 2014), klpeabody (April 16th, 2014)