Thread: Visconti Van Gogh - in 1960???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Visconti Van Gogh - in 1960???

A good laugh. Watching the new TV show Alcatraz and the prison warden has a dinner party in 1960. Gives a gift in a wood box to an employee and he pulls out this lovely cream colored celluloid fountain pen and there is no mistaking it is a Visconti. Even my non pen husband immediately recognized the clip from so many of mine. Had a chuckle, there wasn't a Visconti until 1988 - and it would have been SOOO easy to put a period accurate pen in that box for heaven's sake. The show involves some time travel so maybe. . . Nah. Just sloppy. But a beautiful choice despite the fact he stabbed someone with it shortly after. Nib abuse - who do I call?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks

I've seen another pen with a clip very similar to those sported by Visconti. I can't think of where I saw that pen or whether it was vintage or modern (post-1960, in this case).

Who's making this Alcatraz TV show? Maybe they need an email.

Thanks

Not sure what network. . .but this was a rather lovely modern celluloid near as I could see. They didn't let the camera linger on it. My husband is into movie props/replicas so I am starting to notice things more that I never paid attention to. You just don't see enough pens in movies or TV so in a strange way it was refreshing to see a time when that was a big gift. Wish my boss would give me a nice pen. .

Thanks

Hi Tracy,

Oh wow.....I didn't realize you had posted about the pen here (I started a thread about the pen on Pentrace about 8 hours after you posted here ...

Anyway, we recorded the show and it was an ivory Visconti Rembrandt fountain pen that was used as a weapon in the scene between the Deputy Warden and the "prisoner of the week". I believe the Rembrandt model came out in 2009,
    so the prop master was really off (by almost 50 years!). I have the same pen (bought from Bryant Greer) and it's an awesome fountain pen. Sad to see it covered in (fake) blood on the tv show....
    Last edited by Maja; February 8th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks

Oh, forgot to mention something else I remembered....If you recall (those of you who saw the pen), the scene required the deputy Warden to uncap the pen with one hand, so the pen couldn't have a screw-on cap....which leaves fountain pens made around 1960 with slip-on caps that had prominent nibs (ie. no Parker 51s or 61s! ) ....Perhaps a Sheaffer PFM??

Thanks

Maja, you are my hero! We were just taken aback by the sloppiness on that. It is a gorgeous pen, I am looking at one to add to my collection. It does not look good garnished in gore, you are so right. Thanks for the confirming post!

Thanks

You're very welcome, Tracy!

The latest ep of "Alcatraz" featured yet another fountain pen!
    I thought I spotted Dr. Lucy Banerjee (in 1960!) using a Cross Aventura fountain pen while she was trying to work out the hidden meanings in the song lyrics. Anyone else spot that?

Thanks

We have it on the DVR but haven't watched it yet. I will be poised with finger on pause!

Thanks

Gee, I missed that in last nights show and I deleted it after we watched it.