Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Bye FPGeeks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Good Bye FPGeeks

Yes, but as I said before you need the context that I referred to. Zero prior knowledge of fountain pens, vintage or modern, is required by a new user of a modern pen. The instructions are usually in the box. That's all you need to get started. It's a pretty simple tool. As children we weren't taught anything about fountain pen history, but we had to use one in school. It's hardly rocket science.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I’d argue that the same knowledge base is required to write with any new to the writer writing utensil including old, new, and used pens of all types, pencils and crayons, etc.

One certainly needs no history about a pen to use it and a person unfamiliar with all fountain pens would have no bias to determine if a pen were new or old.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I used a Sheaffer school pen for 20 years (from when I was 20 to 40), and I never even knew they had other pens, nor did I know the name of any other pen company (maybe I had heard of Parker, but I can't recall it). I just bought new cartridges every few years at the office supply store, slapped them in, and wrote a little from time to time.

Things did change later for me

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 2nd, 2022), jar (November 2nd, 2022), Prettypenguin (November 4th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I used a Sheaffer school pen for 20 years (from when I was 20 to 40), and I never even knew they had other pens, nor did I know the name of any other pen company (maybe I had heard of Parker, but I can't recall it). I just bought new cartridges every few years at the office supply store, slapped them in, and wrote a little from time to time.

Things did change later for me

Sounds like my 4th-6th grade experiences in a German elementary school. The only names I knew were Pelikan and "Wassermann" (Waterman), both of which were sold in the local stationer's shop. I have no idea what I actually wrote with, other than it was a fountain pen, and there was blue ink. I infer from what didn't happen in that school that we used cartridge-filling fountain pens, and just replaced the cartridges when they ran empty. Otherwise there would have been ink mayhem everywhere in my classrooms, ink thrown, ink squirted, things dipped in ink, ink spilled...That school was complete and utter chaos, and it was great.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Deb (November 3rd, 2022), Prettypenguin (November 4th, 2022), TSherbs (November 2nd, 2022)