Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    I don't really like heavy pens, hence my reluctance to even ink up my Jinhao 159. I don't have particularly big hands as the size of the pen is not an issue. I used to use my 149 as a daily writer. I'd say the 159 would be too heavy for me.
    Your statement made me think. It is odd that I can't use the Lamy Studio but I can use my Jinhao 159 with no problems. I have no idea what the Jinhao weighs but it is heavy. It makes me think that maybe I have an issue with smaller diameter pens that are heavy, not just heavy pens in general.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Default Re: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    I don't really like heavy pens, hence my reluctance to even ink up my Jinhao 159. I don't have particularly big hands as the size of the pen is not an issue. I used to use my 149 as a daily writer. I'd say the 159 would be too heavy for me.
    Your statement made me think. It is odd that I can't use the Lamy Studio but I can use my Jinhao 159 with no problems. I have no idea what the Jinhao weighs but it is heavy. It makes me think that maybe I have an issue with smaller diameter pens that are heavy, not just heavy pens in general.
    51g inked
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    My heaviest pen isn't a fountain pen, but I do carry it every day. It's a solid copper Embassy Pen that takes Fisher refills. It weighs 120 grams and is on me at all times.
    I know the YOL sterling silver ones are really hefty and goes up to around 70g - like those Jar had kindly showcased above. That's why I haven't bought one yet. But I'm not familiar with Embassy Pen. Is the solid copper covered or is it a big rod of naked copper? (That would be very cool!) Any chance for a picture?
    Whoa! That Cu Embassy pen's a beast! Not as dense as the BOMAPen, but still, ~119 grams?!?

Anyway, kaisnowbird, you can see pics from the site there: http://www.countycomm.com/cupen.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to oke For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (August 28th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

I don't like over 40g.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    According to the International Fountain Pen Standards (IFPS) handbook "A pen weighing in excess of 37 grams cannot be considered for frequent carry on your person."
    Is this IFPS handbook for real? If so, where can I get a copy? Should be fascinating read for geeks like us.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oke View Post
    My heaviest pen isn't a fountain pen, but I do carry it every day. It's a solid copper Embassy Pen that takes Fisher refills. It weighs 120 grams and is on me at all times.
    I know the YOL sterling silver ones are really hefty and goes up to around 70g - like those Jar had kindly showcased above. That's why I haven't bought one yet. But I'm not familiar with Embassy Pen. Is the solid copper covered or is it a big rod of naked copper? (That would be very cool!) Any chance for a picture?
    Whoa! That Cu Embassy pen's a beast! Not as dense as the BOMAPen, but still, ~119 grams?!?

Anyway, kaisnowbird, you can see pics from the site there: http://www.countycomm.com/cupen.html

Thanks oke! I like its looks. That's some serious copper! If I have one, I might just carry it everywhere too.

Who cares how heavy it is! Just look at it! It reminds me of those copper chisels ancient Egyptians used. Awesome stuff.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

My heaviest pen is a Cross model. Very beautiful but too heavy for long writing sessions. I carry a Baoer 8 Horses pen in my daily pen case. Quite heavy at least 40g. For me it's the long writing session that determines if a pen is too heavy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I haven't met one yet. My heaviest is my Visconti Blue Ripple at 69g/2.4 ounces including the cap. I can write all day with it, even posted. Never leaves my daily carry. :sly: Oh, and yes, I understand that isn't "normal". That weight is mostly empty and it's a power filler with dual reservoirs, so . . . probably a little heavier full.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Tracy Lee; August 30th, 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks

My every day carry:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (August 30th, 2013), KrazyIvan (August 30th, 2013), Tracy Lee (August 30th, 2013)

Thanks

I like the weight of my stainless steel Lamys... I like at least 40g or heavier... the Labans I have are about 46g... the Visconti Metropolis is about 48g... etc... I find I write better with a heavier pen and I don't get tired holding a heavier pen. I think it may have something to do with the weight of the pen holding it more in place that having to constantly grip it. Of course that is just my take on it. I also prefer pens with larger diameters because I have fairly large thick fingers. With all that said, my daily carry these days is a Lamy Dialogue 3, Lamy 2000 Stainless steel FP, Large Abalone Laban FP and Nistivii sterling silver roller ballpen... usually in a pen case in my bag

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Adhizen For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (August 30th, 2013)

Thanks

Just a big ol' chunk of naked copper.

It's got a beautiful patina after being used for so long.

My blog, the Five Cat Penagerie.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhphoto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (September 15th, 2013), kaisnowbird (September 7th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 4th, 2013)

Thanks

The heaviest pen I have is a Rosetta Vulcan Stealth. I just looked it up and it weighs 42g. It is all metal after all. I have no problem writing with it and I do a lot of writing. You can't really post it, because the cap just falls off if you try. Whatever shirt I'm wearing determines whether it leaves the house. It's heavy enough that if I wear a loose fitting shirt and put it in my pocket it drags that side of my shirt off kilter. It's a fashion statement better left undone.

For the most part I prefer a pen with some weight to it. I don't find it tiring to write with a heavy pen. I do find it sort of irritating to write with a very light pen, like a Pilot 78G...it feels like you could forget you're holding it. I think for me, the perfect weight for a pen is whatever an early Parker 45 weighs...maybe because I've spent more than half my life using one. It's heavy enough to know you're using it, without noticing the weight particularly. It seems comparable to my Lamy Safari Vista.

Thanks

I'm finding that just as important as weight is the balance of a pen. My new Nemosine Fission is about 40g which isn't heavy for me but the weight distribution makes it feel heavy. Already flushed and put it away.

Thanks

My daily carry pen is a Karas Kustoms Render-K in brass, weighing in at 93.5 gms. I carry it in a dual leather pen case with a fountain pen du jour, and have no problems.