Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

Thanks

Default How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

Haven't found a thread on this topic, so I thought I post it for discussion:
    1. What's your weight limit for a pen that would enter your daily carry?
    2. What's your heaviest pen?

For me, the upper limit is about 40g. One example would be the Italix Parson's Essential. It doesn't post well, which means it's quite a bit lighter when I write with it. I love my Caran d'Ache Leman, but at 30g unposted and 47g posted, it's just a little too heavy to enter my daily carry.

My current heaviest pen is an Amboyna Burl pen at about 50 g, and it posts.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Default Re: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

My Heaviest is a Jinhao 159 at 48gm and I don't find that too heavy to use posted or not.

On the other hand I have a few that are either too light or small to use comfortably.

Perhaps I have big hands.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: How heavy a pen is too heavy for daily carry? And what's your heaviest pen?

I haven't weighed all my pens but my YoL Grands weigh in at about 68g and are fairly heavy and BIG to boot.

Thanks

My average daily carry pen is around 23g (Edison).
    My heaviest pen is 33g (Namiki Sterming). I'm gonna claim that 33-35g as my upper limit.

My preference, though, is for around 22-25g.

Of course "how heavy" is up to the individual. Fortunately there are no rules, ay?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

trhall (September 23rd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I think for daily use, anything over 35g is excessive. I used a Visconti Van Gogh for notes two years ago, and I found it a bit too heavy for anything more than a paragraph. I don't have large hands (just long spidery fingers), so it is really a de gustibus sort of thing.

My heaviest pen is my Old Style OMAS Paragon, but it is really light for its size.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

According to the Goulet's site, the Lamy Studio is 31 grams. The body alone is 22 grams. I traded it because it eventually was just too heavy for my hand. It was not a problem to carry it around since my EDC bag is fairly heavy. I carry a 12 pen case, so not a big deal.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

The heaviest I own is the now-discontinued Pilot Knight which weighs just over 36g when empty - it is one that I carry around regularly and I could see going a bit heavier even.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I haven't weighed all my pens but my YoL Grands weigh in at about 68g and are fairly heavy and BIG to boot.

You sure that is not a club?

Looks to be a weapon rather than a pen

wow
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Taking the second question first, my heaviest is a Luoshi 768 at 37g, 29g with the cap off. It's stupid heavy in my opinion.

As for a weight limit for daily carry ... 25g? I tend to carry pens like the Baoer 388 (24g) or Hero 616 (17g) but my favourites are hard rubber or cellulose, none of which weighs more than 15g cap included. The lighter the better for me.

For the record, I have hands like shovels.

Thanks

My heaviest pen isn't a fountain pen, but I do carry it every day. It's a solid copper Embassy Pen that takes Fisher refills. It weighs 120 grams and is on me at all times.
    My blog, the Five Cat Penagerie.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

You sure that is not a club?

Looks to be a weapon rather than a pen

wow
    Well, it is bigger than my YoL Viceroy Victorian Pocket pen.

But it's hardly a club. Here it is with some other pens ...from the top: Montegrappa Privilege Deco Large, 80th. Anniversary, the YoL Viceroy Victorian Grand, Waterman Gentleman and Sheaffer Legacy.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 26th, 2013), earthdawn (August 27th, 2013), kaisnowbird (August 27th, 2013)

Thanks

I prefer a pen with some weight it feels more substantial in my hands and seems to balance out my writing. It's one of the reasons I left cheap rollerballs and biros behind. They are just too light and thin and eventually my hands would hurt.

I think this is one of the reasons I find it difficult to buy acrylic or resin pens. Most of mine have some metal in the body.

Thanks

My ideal pen weight is in the region of 30-40g with my Visconti HS at the top end of that.

The heaviest pen I own is a Jinhao Descendants of the Dragon (59g capped). Despite this, I still find it a comfortable writer for short notes.

Thanks

Not sure of the weight of the heaviest pen I use for edc, however, the heaviest pen I have is the http://j.mp/BOMAPenD6 - and the (old) website indicates that the D6 with the tungsten endcap is 104 grams - I don't mind writing with it at all.

Thanks

I have a couple of Chinese pens (Huashilai and Jinhao X450) that both weight 35-37gm. The weight doesn't bother me at all. But I seldom post a pen and uncapped they come in at 26-27gm.
    When I think about it - when I'm writing, the weight of the pen falls on the paper. I use a loose/relaxed grip. In some ways, the weight helps the pen make contact with the paper.
    With lighter pens you might have to press down a bit more. Most of my pens are 15-22gm.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    My heaviest pen isn't a fountain pen, but I do carry it every day. It's a solid copper Embassy Pen that takes Fisher refills. It weighs 120 grams and is on me at all times.
    I know the YOL sterling silver ones are really hefty and goes up to around 70g - like those Jar had kindly showcased above. That's why I haven't bought one yet. But I'm not familiar with Embassy Pen. Is the solid copper covered or is it a big rod of naked copper? (That would be very cool!) Any chance for a picture?
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

I don't have weights for all my pens but I do for the two that feel the heaviest. The TWSBI Vac 700 clocks in at 32 g and the Sheaffer 100 at 31 g. I carry both although the TWSBI is sometimes kept at home due to a too small shirt pocket depth. The TWSBI is my longest pen.

Thanks

I have no idea about my heaviest pen, but I regularly carry around a Bulow X750, which is 28g, and it feels about ideal for me. For me it's more about circumference and balance than weight.
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Thanks

According to the International Fountain Pen Standards (IFPS) handbook "A pen weighing in excess of 37 grams cannot be considered for frequent carry on your person."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

auto winder (August 27th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really like heavy pens, hence my reluctance to even ink up my Jinhao 159. I don't have particularly big hands as the size of the pen is not an issue. I used to use my 149 as a daily writer. I'd say the 159 would be too heavy for me.