Thread: Pen Kits

Thanks

Default Pen Kits

I have a friend that has made some pens using some wood working equipment that look quite nice. He had a business doing it but it was always a side project and he has stopped producing them for sale. He offered to have me come over and he'll help me make my own if I buy a kit. He says he has some links but I don't know what I'm looking for. Are they all just novelty pens or can you get a really nice pen kit?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Kits

You can get very nice "kit" pens....but then again, they are kit pens, Kit pens are where 99% of all pen makers start today, and where 98% stay. They make kits that range from $3 to $250..so yes you can get a very nice kit if you choose, but if you are just starting I would recommend a kit in the $10-$20 range, this will give you a decent pen and give you a taste of the art for not alot of money. Classicnib is a website along with Exotic Blanks. Those 2 will have a very large supply of decent kits. Good luck..Happy Turning!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Drgoretex made one of my early fountain pens from a kit. "El Grande" is what it's called. It is a Duofold looking pen. Very nice but I don't get much use out of it as of late. The reason is the EF nib. That is what I started with and have moved on. I am glad that it uses a #6 nib and I am going to order a Goulet 1.1 mm stub for it.

El Grande by IvanRomero, on Flickr

El Grande- Uncapped by IvanRomero, on Flickr
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

this pen will enjoy more use with a stub or.even a juicy wet medium nib I would think. It looks like a nice desk pen for.the office or blazer.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.