Thread: Ink Surprises

Thanks

Default Ink Surprises

Dan(?)'s "confession" that he'd not expected to like browns got me thinking - what inks have surprised you, and why?

For me, it's green. I bought Evergreen, largely on the basis that it's almost black, but on trying emerald (a far more vibrant, obvious green), I'm surprised by how much I like the colour. Next stop: Herbin's "Vert Olive"!

Thanks

I just had this experience recently with J. Herbin Perle Noir. I have been avoiding black inks because I typically didn't use them pre-fountain pens. I am working at improving my handwriting, and read that this is a good color to use because it doesn't exhibit shading. Lo and behold, I love it and I've got it in two pens right now. I use it all the time and just purchased a bottle. I love it because it's no fuss. It goes down very smooth, it behaves really well. I rarely see feathering, even with really cheap paper.

I am a huge fan of dark greens, and purchased Diamine Evergreen for that reason. I have a very well-defined blue-black and green-black comfort zone. But I've been venturing outside of that recently. I've tried some pinks, and of course black. Funny you mention that you are going to experiment with Vert Olive. I purchased a bottle the same day I bought Perle Noir. I'm experimenting with light greens right now to find one I like. I do like this ink, even though its yellower than I normally would use. I am finding it works best in a larger nib, and a wet writing pen.

Thanks

John you might take a look at Noodler's Zhivago. Oh, I almost forgot. In last month's ink drop from Goulet pens there was a sample of Rohrer & Klingner's Verdigris. Another really interesting color.
    Last edited by gordyt; February 4th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

My thus far constant ink surprise is how much I always love purple inks in pictures and swabs but then don't much care for them once they're coming out of a pen. I might be looking for something that doesn't exist. Is there such a thing as subtle purple?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eriquito View Post
    My thus far constant ink surprise is how much I always love purple inks in pictures and swabs but then don't much care for them once they're coming out of a pen. I might be looking for something that doesn't exist. Is there such a thing as subtle purple?
    Eric, I completely agree. I have had the same experience time and again. I've stopped looking at purple inks altogether. The only two purples that I have held onto are MB Lavender Purple and Diamine Eclipse. The MB Lavender Purple is amazing, and I do use it regularly. I've heard one person describe it as a "purple-black", and I think that's pretty accurate. If you haven't tried this one, I'll gladly send a sample to you. =)

Thanks

Hiya kp!

MB Lavender Purple. I just did a quick search for some samples. It looks very, very promising as a subtle purple =)

Yes, please, thank you very much indeed, I'd love to receive a sample of this purple-black. I'll shoot you an email.

Thanks!!

=) Eric

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John the Monkey View Post
    Dan(?)'s "confession" that he'd not expected to like browns got me thinking - what inks have surprised you, and why?

For me, it's green. I bought Evergreen, largely on the basis that it's almost black, but on trying emerald (a far more vibrant, obvious green), I'm surprised by how much I like the colour. Next stop: Herbin's "Vert Olive"!
    Browns have surprised me as well on my journey to finding a "perfect" ink for my edison nouveau premier. Noodler's apache sunset has surprised me as well, I didn't think I'd like an orange/yellow/red combination.
    MontBlanc Royal blue, J Herbin eclat de saphire, Diamine Imperial blue, and Waterman Florida Blue haha just kidding... well kind of. I was convinced after a couple of days of using MontBlanc royal blue that my eyes had a color perception deformity or I was sent a wrong batch. For some reason I see these colors more on the purple side. Maybe that's why I'm not terribly fond of purple...

Thanks

Hiya kp!

MB Lavender Purple. I just did a quick search for some samples. It looks very, very promising as a subtle purple =)

Yes, please, thank you very much indeed, I'd love to receive a sample of this purple-black. I'll shoot you an email.

Thanks!!

=) Eric

You are quite welcome! =)

Thanks

I think Pousserie De Lune (Herbin) is a beautiful colour - the colour has a dusty, subdued quality to it that I really like, but it is very much a purple. My sample (cartridges I bought in France) is a bit finicky, and doesn't like anything but the best paper, as befits such a delightful, aristocratic colour I also like Diamine's Amazing Amethyst, although it's not as subtle a colour as Pousserie de Lune.

As I recall, Diamine's Damson is a purple in the way that Evergreen is a green, i.e. a dark, almost black purple.

To go the other way, you could just load up Diamine's Imperial Purple, a colour that is "None more purple", to paraphrase Spinal Tap. Kill or cure, and so forth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Pousserie De Lune (Herbin) was one of my coverted colours until recently when I finally bought a bottle.
    Noodler's Zhivago is a fantastic colour too.

My biggest surprise ink is Noodler's Habannero which has brilliant shading. Looks good with fine or italic nibs. I never thought I'd buy an orange fountain pen ink until trying out some Zebra Sarasa gel pens with orange ink. Also it matches my orange Lamy Safari and Rhodia notebook covers.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It has to be green for me. I really like Private Reserve Ebony Green.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It has to be green for me. I really like Private Reserve Ebony Green.
    I use PR Ebony Green almost exclusively. it's become part of my signature.

Thanks

For me it has to be J. Herbin's Rouille d'Ancre. Never did I think I'd like a pink ink but this one is different. It is not a harsh color, as so many pinks are, but rather a dusty pink. The shading is amazing when used with a broad nib. In all honesty, about the only time I use it is in personal correspondence with others who have a passion for ink colors outside the norm of blue, black, and/or blue-black. About the only other use I can see for this very different color would be in art work but I enjoy using it as a great change of pace ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John the Monkey View Post
    Yes, I was right there with you and the green ink. I left all of the green ink samples until the end (i'm close to the end now) and have happily discovered that I quite like Noodlers Gruene Cactus Eel and Private Reserver's Foam Green.

Thanks

I can't seem to find a brown that behaves the way I would like on my Black n Red notebook paper. I am looking for a brown that behaves like Waterman Blue-Black.....fast drying and a hint of shading. Waterman Havana Brown doesn't cut it. Noodler's Texas Pecan (got it gratis at pen show last year) has the right color and shading but is slow to dry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

R&K Verdigris has my attention as does MB Irish Green.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kp288908 View Post
    I just had this experience recently with J. Herbin Perle Noir. I have been avoiding black inks because I typically didn't use them pre-fountain pens. I am working at improving my handwriting, and read that this is a good color to use because it doesn't exhibit shading. Lo and behold, I love it and I've got it in two pens right now. I use it all the time and just purchased a bottle. I love it because it's no fuss. It goes down very smooth, it behaves really well. I rarely see feathering, even with really cheap paper.

I am a huge fan of dark greens, and purchased Diamine Evergreen for that reason. I have a very well-defined blue-black and green-black comfort zone. But I've been venturing outside of that recently. I've tried some pinks, and of course black. Funny you mention that you are going to experiment with Vert Olive. I purchased a bottle the same day I bought Perle Noir. I'm experimenting with light greens right now to find one I like. I do like this ink, even though its yellower than I normally would use. I am finding it works best in a larger nib, and a wet writing pen.
    I love this ink because it is the exact color of a martini olive.

It does indeed go best in a broad wet nib, but very often I use my old Marxton as a dipper.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD