Thread: Christmas Cake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Christmas Cake

Nothing
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; December 21st, 2022 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Christmas Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Anyone here a cake maker, or perhaps just makes a Christmas cake each year?

I just made one today, so now the whole house smells of warm cake, fruit and French brandy! It's rather nice. Last time I did this was probably in the early 90s. While I am confident in my baking skills, and it isn't a difficult recipe, it is always nice to see it coming out of the oven looking as it should. Just fed it with a bit more brandy and now waiting for it to cool completely so I can get it in storage.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for adding marzipan and royal icing? I think that the last time I may have coated the top and sides with apricot jam and then a thin layer of marzipan, and then a thicker layer of icing. Decorating using an icing bag or similar device is something I have not tried, so I may have a go at some simple patterns.

I love cooking generally, but as a diabetic these days I don't do a lot of baking (most recently savoury mooncakes using homemade flaky pastry and a family secret recipe, for the Chinese mid-Autumn festival - half my family are Chinese you see!).
    Given it is early November, by Christmas this cake will have become a metaphor for its creator.
    Stale, impermeable and totally unpalatable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Anyone here a cake maker, or perhaps just makes a Christmas cake each year?

I just made one today, so now the whole house smells of warm cake, fruit and French brandy! It's rather nice. Last time I did this was probably in the early 90s. While I am confident in my baking skills, and it isn't a difficult recipe, it is always nice to see it coming out of the oven looking as it should. Just fed it with a bit more brandy and now waiting for it to cool completely so I can get it in storage.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for adding marzipan and royal icing? I think that the last time I may have coated the top and sides with apricot jam and then a thin layer of marzipan, and then a thicker layer of icing. Decorating using an icing bag or similar device is something I have not tried, so I may have a go at some simple patterns.

I love cooking generally, but as a diabetic these days I don't do a lot of baking (most recently savoury mooncakes using homemade flaky pastry and a family secret recipe, for the Chinese mid-Autumn festival - half my family are Chinese you see!).
    Given it is early November, by Christmas this cake will have become a metaphor for its creator.
    Stale, impermeable and totally unpalatable.

Why did you feel it appropriate to drop a nasty comment in this thread?

And FYI, making Xmas cakes this early or even earlier is standard practice as the cake needs to mature. Happy to provide a little education as always.
    "Appropriate?"
    Something else you know nothing about EoC.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,258 Posts

I plan to make mine sometime in the next couple of weeks - it will be a challenge this year as we've not switched the Aga on after the summer, and won't be doing so until early December, so I'm going to have to bake it in my microwave combi oven, which will bring a whole new set of challenges!

My recipe is very similar to the James Martin one, but I feed with rum rather than brandy and leave out some ingredients that nobody in the family likes.

None of us are huge royal icing fans, so I usually just ice the top (and yes, jam, then homemade marzipan before the icing). I make the marzipan mainly as an excuse to eat all the leftovers myself as I love the stuff!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 5th, 2022), Yazeh (November 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,258 Posts

The cost is why ours isn't on yet this autumn - and the kitchen feels distinctly chilly as a result. However, with gas costs as they are here right now, there's just no choice. It's been challenging to say the least as I'm so used to being able to just throw stuff in there and know it will come out as I expect.

I use a medium dark rum - usually a Mountgay from Barbados or English Harbour 5 year old from Antigua. If I didn't have rum, I'd opt for brandy though - sherry and Madeira are strictly for the trifles.

We also love cheese with cake - either Wensleydale or Stilton. Cheddar with apple pie too...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (November 5th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Since my wife and I have recently become grandparents, we will be travelling for the week before Christmas to be with my son, his wife, and new child. I don't think that we will be able to manage many of our holiday food rituals, and this kind of cake has never been a part of it. But we will be happy, anyway!! Have fun with your baking! The descriptions here are enticing!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 6th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (November 5th, 2022), kazoolaw (November 7th, 2022), Yazeh (November 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Since my wife and I have recently become grandparents…
    Congratulations.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 5th, 2022), Yazeh (November 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Congrats

Thanks

Since my wife and I have recently become grandparents, we will be travelling for the week before Christmas to be with my son, his wife, and new child. I don't think that we will be able to manage many of our holiday food rituals, and this kind of cake has never been a part of it. But we will be happy, anyway!! Have fun with your baking! The descriptions here are enticing!
    Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife on becoming grandparents!
    As your grandchild gets older sharing holidays, and holiday food rituals, is a never ending source of joy.
    Safe travels, and happy holidays.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Thanks, everyone, but I shouldn't have distracted the thread.

I became distracted by what an "Aga" might be....and I learned an interesting back story....

But back to recipes!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,451 Times in 4,002 Posts

Thanks, everyone, but I shouldn't have distracted the thread.
    No worries at all TSherbs. Almost all of the threads on here are distracted to a greater or a lesser degree.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (November 7th, 2022)