Thread: Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149 - did Montblanc ever make them?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149 - did Montblanc ever make them?

Quote Originally Posted by Umair Masood View Post
    Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149
    Mind you, this is going to generate a lot of commentary, with or without a $600 USD asking price.

I don't recall there being such a pen manufactured by Montblanc. Solid gold, yes, but not gold plated, coated, filled or the like in the 149 size. Does anyone have relevant information?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149 - did Montblanc ever make the

Never mind. The seller finally posted a photo and it's a typical resin pen, and was only referencing the accoutrement (clip and bands).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,472 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149 - did Montblanc ever make the

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Never mind. The seller finally posted a photo and it's a typical resin pen, and was only referencing the accoutrement (clip and bands).
    Yes, he said gold coated when he meant gold trim.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Yes, he said gold coated when he meant gold trim.
    Well that is disappointing. I was hoping for something new to me or horribly controversial.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (November 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Hi Fred, Interesting question. There were gold-plated or rolled-gold store display 149s and 146s which Montblanc made and sent to stores which carried the solid gold Meisterstucks. At a pen show in the early 1990s, I saw and handled a 149 which was either gold-plated or rolled-gold. I don't recall which. It was extremely light weight although it had a piston mechanism, 18C nib, and feed. It had the pinstripe pattern, which at the time was the only pattern on solid-gold 149s I had seen. It was shown around a hotel room by a well-known European repairman and pen dealer. He said that the display 149s and 146s were far rarer than the solid-gold models. That must be true. I have seen numerous solid-gold 149s, 146s, & 144s over the years, but only one of the gold-plated or rolled-gold models. It was a remarkable and very rare pen to hold, examine, and appreciate.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (November 8th, 2022), catbert (November 11th, 2022), FredRydr (November 8th, 2022), jar (November 11th, 2022), Marsilius (November 8th, 2022), Scrawler (November 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

In fairness to the seller, “gold coated” is exactly how Montblanc describes the pen on their site.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...629622781.html

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 12.43.25 PM.png
    Last edited by dneal; November 11th, 2022 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Had to go to the computer to add the pic...
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 11th, 2022), Chrissy (November 11th, 2022), Scrawler (November 11th, 2022)