Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we agree that neither party trusts the voting system(s)?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Can we agree that neither party trusts the voting system(s)?

Here is some more GOP-oriented voting machination funding:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...droidApp_Other

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chip (January 14th, 2023)

Thanks

All it takes is an informed electorate and to turn off Fox. Americans should not expect information to be free.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Woops. GOP official's wife accused of 52 counts of voter fraud in local election in Iowa:

https://news.yahoo.com/iowa-official...211823044.html

Thanks

I'll brush up on my Spanish, I suppose:

Kari Lake says we are about to become Venezuela here in the US (if a judge doesn't install her as gov):

https://news.yahoo.com/kari-lake-say...050406670.html

Thanks

The crazies in Pennsylvania can't be satisfied, even after recounts:

. Election deniers have no plans to stand down. They have requested reams of documents that they believe will expose fraud once and for all.

“We’ve received a series of crazy records requests,” Lehman said. “You can quote me. They are insane,” he added, referring to the requests.

Election deniers asked for copies of every application for a mail ballot, requiring Lehman and his staff to laboriously redact all personal information. They are pressing for copies of every ballot cast on Election Day 2020, and they have gone to court to seek digital data from the voting machines at each of the 81 county precincts.

Although observers from both parties watched the hand recount this week, DiSalvo raised questions about the process, including that Lehman oversaw the adding up of the recounted votes.
    From https://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-...165839637.html

Thanks

"The authorities in Albuquerque said on Monday that a former Republican candidate who lost his bid for a State House seat in November had been arrested in connection with a series of recent shootings at the homes of four Democratic elected officials.

Chief Harold Medina of the Albuquerque Police Department said at a news conference that the former candidate, Solomon Peña, was “the mastermind” behind a conspiracy in which four other men were paid to shoot at the homes of two county commissioners and two state legislators.

Mr. Peña, 39, lost the election on Nov. 8 in a landslide to an incumbent Democrat, Miguel P. Garcia. Days later, Mr. Peña went on Twitter to express support for former President Donald J. Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign and to say that he had not conceded his own State House race."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/16/u...gs-arrest.html
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

I guess we should admit that the idiot wack job loser is innocent until proven guilty.

Thanks

Of course, these people do not represent all Republicans, that so many candidates of low quality do exist at all is disturbing, plus that state Republicans are supporting these unqualified candidates. Mitch McConnel knew these candidates were running of course and said as much. I figured it was a handful, but apparently there were many more.

Thanks

Pretty good essay on the "asymmetric" political belief and connection to conspiracy thinking in American politics (with some comparison and contrast to British politics) from The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ingdom/672726/

Thanks

I couldn't read it all, but it reminded me of a parable of Jesus in which he said some received the word and believed, but because it was sown among thorns, it didn't thrive. The worries, riches, and pleasure seeking choked it out. I admit that worries have plagued me earlier. When someone is worried, they are vulnerable. Me listening to Rush Limbaugh was me being worried and thinking he had something to say. Worries make us believe lies or half-truths and be afraid. It caused me to believe the Clinton's killed Vince Foster, that Obama was a Muslim (not a good thing post 9/11) or not am American, and to believe there were WMD's in Iraq.

Thanks

I'm surprised that she did not call it a "Kraken" of evidence:

https://www.newsweek.com/kari-lake-t...ection-1775117

Thanks

Thanks

Gotta watch those “snow birds” in Florida…😂😂

Thanks

Happy New Year, Kaz. Here's hoping health and happiness for you and your family in 2023. And congratulations on your retirement (I think you told us that this was starting in January for you....)

Thanks

Oh!! Happy retirement Kaz.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (January 20th, 2023)

Thanks

Maybe this is the Kraken coming? Or maybe her own set of digital hero cards??

https://www.newsweek.com/kari-lake-t...endars-1775477

Thanks

Well, no Krakens anywhere, and Kari Lake lost another case. Here is a pretty good summary of all the misinformation (and truth) to date:

https://apnews.com/article/politics-...9fb49f9ed44882

Thanks

Well, it turns out that even Fox News trusted the 2020 election results, but several top company program hosts fed lies through their cynical teeth to their viewers in order to undermine *their* confidence in order to perpetuate the massive con game on their vulnerable viewers.

Thanks

I have railed and railed against Trump and his mouthpiece platforms and enablers for years nearly entirely because of his predilection for lies, distortions, and other grievous flaws of character. Turns out several on Fox News saw those flaws and used them for their advantage. Another giant grift on the backs of those voters. They got fucked again.

Thanks

From The Atlantic, today:

THE ATLANTIC DAILY
    The Ugly Elitism of the American Right
    No one hates ordinary people like the Republicans and their media enablers do.

By Tom Nichols
    MARCH 9, 2023, 6:33 PM ET

Fox News will likely never face any real consequences for the biggest scandal in the history of American media. But will Republican voters finally understand who really looks down on them?

It’s time to talk about elitism.

Last month, I wrote that the revelations about Fox News in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit showed that Fox personalities, for all their populist bloviation, are actually titanic elitists. This is not the elitism of those who think they are smarter or more capable than others—I’ll get to that in a moment—but a new and gruesome elitism of the American right, a kind of hatred and disgust on the part of right-wing media and political leaders for the people they claim to love and defend. Greed and cynicism and moral poverty can explain only so much of what we’ve learned about Fox; what the Dominion filings show is a staggering, dehumanizing version of elitism among people who have made a living by presenting themselves as the only truth-tellers who can be trusted by ordinary Americans.

I am, to say the least, no stranger to the charge of elitism. When I wrote a book in 2018 titled The Death of Expertise, a study of how people have become so narcissistic and so addled by cable and the internet that they believe themselves to be smarter than doctors and diplomats, I was regularly tagged as an “elitist.” And the truth is: I am an elitist, insofar as I believe that some people are better at things than others.

But even beyond talent and ability, I do in fact firmly believe that some opinions, political views, personal actions, and life choices are better than others. As I wrote in my book at the time:

Americans now believe that having equal rights in a political system also means that each person’s opinion about anything must be accepted as equal to anyone else’s. This is the credo of a fair number of people despite being obvious nonsense. It is a flat assertion of actual equality that is always illogical, sometimes funny, and often dangerous.

If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

In this, elitism is the opposite of populism, whose adherents believe that virtue and competence reside in the common wisdom of a nebulous coalition called “the people.” This pernicious and romantic myth is often a danger to liberal democracies and constitutional orders that are founded, first and foremost, on the inherent rights of individuals rather than whatever raw majorities think is right at any given time.

The American right, however, now uses elitist to mean “people who think they’re better than me because they live and work and play differently than I do.” They rage that people—myself included—look down upon them. And again, truth be told, I do look down on Trump voters, not because I am an elitist but because I am an American citizen and I believe that they, as my fellow citizens, have made political choices that have inflicted the greatest harm on our system of government since the Civil War. I refuse to treat their views as just part of the normal left-right axis of American politics.

(As an aside, note that the insecure whining about being “looked down upon” is wildly asymmetrical: Trump voters have no trouble looking down on their opponents as traitors, perverts, and, as Donald Trump himself once put it, “human scum.” But they react to criticism with a kind of deep hurt, as if others must accommodate their emotional well-being. Many of these same people gleefully adopted “Fuck your feelings” as a rallying cry but never expected that it was a slogan that worked both ways.)

In 2016, I believed that good people were making a mistake. In 2023, I cannot dismiss their choices as mere mistakes. Instead, I accept and respect the human agency that has led Trump supporters to their current choices. Indeed, I insist on recognizing that agency: I have never agreed with the people who dismiss Trump voters as robotic simpletons who were mesmerized by Russian memes. I believe that today’s Trump supporters are people who are making a conscious, knowing, and morally flawed choice to continue supporting a sociopath and a party chock-full of seditionists.

I have argued with some of these people. Sometimes, I have mocked them. Mostly, I have refused to engage them. But whatever my feelings are about the abominable choices of Trump supporters, here is the one thing I have never done that Fox’s hosts did for years: I have never patronized any of the people I disagree with.

Unlike people such as Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham, I have never told anyone—including you, readers of The Atlantic—anything I don’t believe. What we’re seeing at Fox, however, is lying on a grand scale, done with a snide loathing for the audience and a cool indifference to the damage being done to the nation. Fox, and the Republican Party it serves, for years has relentlessly patronized its audience, cooing to viewers about how right they are not to trust anyone else, banging the desk about the corruption of American institutions, and shouting into the camera about how the liars and betrayers must pay.

Fox’s stars did all of this while privately communicating with one another and rolling their eyes with contempt, admitting without a shred of shame that they were lying through their teeth. From Rupert Murdoch on down, top Fox personalities have admitted that they fed the rubes all of this red, rotting meat to keep them out of the way of the Fox limos headed to Long Island and Connecticut.

You can see this same kind of contemptuous elitism in Republicans such as Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, and Elise Stefanik. They couldn’t care less about the voters—those hoopleheads back home who have to be placated with idiotic speeches against trans people and “critical race theory.” These politicians were bred to be leaders, you see, and having to gouge some votes out of the hayseeds back home requires a bit of performance art now and then, a small price to pay so that the sons and daughters of Harvard and Yale, Princeton and Stanford, can live in the imperial capital and rule as is their due and their right.

Some years ago, I was at a meeting of one of the committees of the National Academy of Sciences. The conferees asked me how scientists—there were Nobel Laureates in the room—could defend the cause of knowledge. Stand your ground, I told them. Never hesitate to tell people they’re wrong. One panel member shook his head: “Tom, people don’t like to be condescended to.” I said, “I agree, but what they hate even more is to be patronized.”

I believed it then, but we’re now testing that hypothesis on a national scale. I hope I wasn’t wrong.