Thread: How to Win with Class

Thanks

Default How to Win with Class

Ever notice a pitcher's response when striking out a batter? He usually shows little or no emotion, turns to face the infield, and allows the batter to walk back to the dugout. Biden and democrats should follow suit and not do a victory lap. No spiking the ball in the end zone. There is still much work to do to win the American voter.

Thanks

Default Re: How to Win with Class

Appreciate the thought.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

No spiking from me. This is one election among many to come, and many already past.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (November 14th, 2022)

Thanks

I'm disappointed that Warnock did not refer to Walker in his victory speech. At least, both as Christian believers, they could have acknowledged and publically respected this common ground. Alas, neither one did. It's harder for the one who loses; I expected it at least from Warnock, if not from both.

Mehmet Oz still has set the bar for grace in loss (this election). I have not read too many victory speeches, so I am not sure which one I would consider best so far.

I am old school in this way: I was a high school basketball coach for 25 years. At the end of the game, unerringly, no matter who won, no matter how ugly the contest, when we huddled with hands together we broke out with only one word of cheer--the other school's name. Some of my players resented my insistence on this, some would go quiet rather than join in when it hurt too much, but that practice never changed while I was coach. I strongly disliked some of the other teams, and coaches, and attitudes, and behavior. But if you are willing to compete against them, then you must be willing to say their name out loud for them to hear in at least a show of some respect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm disappointed that Warnock did not refer to Walker in his victory speech. At least, both as Christian believers, they could have acknowledged and publically respected this common ground. Alas, neither one did. It's harder for the one who loses; I expected it at least from Warnock, if not from both.

Mehmet Oz still has set the bar for grace in loss (this election). I have not read too many victory speeches, so I am not sure which one I would consider best so far.

I am old school in this way: I was a high school basketball coach for 25 years. At the end of the game, unerringly, no matter who won, no matter how ugly the contest, when we huddled with hands together we broke out with only one word of cheer--the other school's name. Some of my players resented my insistence on this, some would go quiet rather than join in when it hurt too much, but that practice never changed while I was coach. I strongly disliked some of the other teams, and coaches, and attitudes, and behavior. But if you are willing to compete against them, then you must be willing to say their name out loud for them to hear in at least a show of some respect.
    I love this, Ted. Good for you.

These elections are so fraught with disrespect during the election process that concessions with respect is almost hypocritical, but I agree that as a disciple of Jesus, it could happen or should happen had they not violated those principles while in competition. For example, had your basketball team been disrespectful to the other team, referees and been unsportsmanlike during the game, a good deed at the end sounds hollow.

I felt like Warnocks campaign making fun of Walker was being disrespectful. Walker only ran because of Trump. In the end, Walker and family were personally harmed as all who hitch their wagon to DT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I love this, Ted. Good for you.

These elections are so fraught with disrespect during the election process that concessions with respect is almost hypocritical, but I agree that as a disciple of Jesus, it could happen or should happen had they not violated those principles while in competition. For example, had your basketball team been disrespectful to the other team, referees and been unsportsmanlike during the game, a good deed at the end sounds hollow.

I felt like Warnocks campaign making fun of Walker was being disrespectful. Walker only ran because of Trump. In the end, Walker and family were personally harmed as all who hitch their wagon to DT.
    I always feel bad (at least briefly) for the spouses and families of these persons who run for big offices in big races, especially when the candidate's ego or righteousness is the engine that drags the family into the public arena (or at least into the box seats having to watch the terrible brawl and media scrutiny). Walker's son Tweeted last night that his family begged Walker not to run because of the mess of his past. We know the result. Trump, too, and others (even Bill Clinton, and later, Hilary). Ambition is a mighty engine. Feeling that one is on a crusade is a tricky, double-edged sword of energy, that cuts in multiple directions.

Thanks

And by the way, I was not always properly behaved as a coach. I received a few technical fouls, had to apologize to my players and my boss, and made mistakes as a coach. I needed that end-of-game ritual as much as anyone else.

The "work" never ends.

Thanks

And by the way, I was not always properly behaved as a coach. I received a few technical fouls, had to apologize to my players and my boss, and made mistakes as a coach. I needed that end-of-game ritual as much as anyone else.

The "work" never ends.
    You are human, Ted. I am pleased you coached for 25 years. I know you didn't do it for the money.

I am not expecting Walker or Warnock to always do the right things. I just expect the same as you did, to apologize. Learning to say I am sorry with no caveats is an essential skill and not a sign of weakness. Warnock still has an opportunity to extend some form of civility to Walker. Walker deserves respect.