Thread: Parker 61 - Squeeze converter

Thanks

Default Parker 61 - Squeeze converter

Good day everybody,
    I'm trying to remove the converter from the pen as it blobs frome the barrel screw area. I washed and flushed the pen and this is when I discovered water coming out also from the barrel. I loads water ok but it isn't firmly located in place. The converte turns freely, moves up and down 1mm or so but does not come off. At present the pen is soaking nib down, it feels like the converte is 'blocked' in place. Photo fo converter.

Parker 61.jpeg

Thank you
    Marco

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Parker 61 - Squeeze converter

It's definitely a converter that should pull out. Not a fixed filler. It's probably just stuck in position by hard and dried up ink. Try soaking the whole thing up to the metal in hotter water for a while then put on rubber gloves and pull the section and the converter straight apart from each other.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

So all is well that ends well. Having soaked the pen the writing unit unscrewed, I could see that the converter was held in place by a piece of metal that slides over the cartridge piercing bit of the feed. I had to remove this piece of metal to extract the converter.
    The converter insertion hole is too wide for the cartridge piercing bit of the feed and fit snuggly unless the metal bit is back in the converter.
    Attached a photo of how the pieces stack up

Parker 61 - converter.jpeg

Has this pen been converted from the original capillary to CC ?
    I tried placing the alloy bit into the converter and then putting the converer on the piercing bit of the fid once I reassembled the writing unit but it doesn't go down far enough, so I have to reassemble the converter as it was orginally and this is why it didn't come off but moved slightly up and down.
    Could it also be that the converter's nipple has hardened in time and thus it doesn't fit properly anymore?
    Marco

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Well, no, maybe sort of. That metal piece is the piercing tube that goes into the nipple on a cartridge or converter. The feed goes through the piercing tube to carry the ink from the cartridge or converter to the feed and the nib. Most likely ink got around the outside of the piercing tube and the converter was ink locked onto it. Soaking it softened the ink enough that the piercing tube would come out. The flange on the piercing tube is there to keep it from pulling out of the thread bushing when you pull converter or cartridge out.

This likely was a cartridge/converter pen from the start.

These converters have a latex sac. You can rebuild them, using a #14 PVC sac.

FWIW, I generally suggest using cool/room temperature water rather than hot to get pens apart. Some plastic can soften enough to deform when the water is too warm.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Ron, thank you for your input. I have never used warm or hot water to open, soak or clean a pen 😊

Thanks

I've always moved onto hotter water occasionally when cold has failed to have the required effect. But it's never been a general fix.

Thanks

the pen has the tendency to 'burp' ink on the page. I have to shake it a couple of times to get rid of the extra ink and then it writes properly. Could it be that the contact of converter and feed is not air tight? If so how to improve it? silicon grease on the aluminium bit doesn't sound feasible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoA64 View Post
    the pen has the tendency to 'burp' ink on the page. I have to shake it a couple of times to get rid of the extra ink and then it writes properly. Could it be that the contact of converter and feed is not air tight? If so how to improve it? silicon grease on the aluminium bit doesn't sound feasible.
    Tha addition of any silicone grease onto any part of the converter that goes into the section won't make it work any better and may only make it worse if any gets anywhere near to an ink channel.
    The converter should be a reasonably tight fit onto the nipple and if it's too loose then very slightly squeezing the opening with some plastic pliers might make it tighter.
    It sounds like your pen might need a service within the section. Failing that try a different ink.

Thanks

I would put your converter to one side and try a Parker cartridge, I suspect that your problems will be gone. It is possible that the nipple on your converter may be compromised.

Throughly check the section for cracks, the 61 was not Parker's finest product and shrinkage of the section is a problem.

You may want to take the simplest option and buy a new section - with dart of course - new old stock is available at £28.
    Last edited by Bzzer; November 23rd, 2022 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks

removed the converter and am now using a cartridge. let's see how it goes 😊

Thanks

removed the converter and am now using a cartridge. let's see how it goes 😊
    And try a new Parker converter. (I didn't read whether you had put the old squeeze converter back or used a new converter. I like the squeeze converters, and love the original squeeze converters, but the original went back as far as December, 1960, when I got my Parker 45. You have a sort of second edition squeeze converter, maybe from the '70s. They are pretty old)

Thanks

Even with the cartridge the pen burps. It starts building up slowly and then comes the drop while I write, am attaching two photos to give you an idea :-(

It starts off like this
    P61 beginning.jpeg

This is the big drop
    P61 end.jpeg

Hood shrinkage?
    P61 hood shrinkage.jpeg

The area of the hood I have 'circled' presents a kind of large groove, has it shrunk in some way and needs preplacing?
    Should I get a new hood section? Throw away the whole thing ? Not replacing the qrrow yet.
    I cleaned everything with the ultrasound bath after having stripped the hood of the feed and the joining bit between hood and pen barrel.
    I reassembled the feed in the hood by aligning it into the slot inside the hood. The nib deos not come off, not that I tried too hard I have to admit.
    Anything else? Thank you

Thanks

Difficult.

You could replace the hood, yours has shrunk and may have hairline cracks. A new hood is around £30 from people such as vintagepenparts

This would fix the arrow and shrinkage issues.

If you really want a 61, personally I would keep the barrel and cap, salvage the nib and feed, and buy a good used example. I have looked on eBay and a complete pen with box is not much more than a new section, or put a wtb on here.

I like the 61 but when they start to go wrong they can be a pain.

Thanks

It seems like you are having such difficulties with this that it doesn't seem worth continuing to try other fixes. RobJohnson may be right. It could be time to try another hood or another pen.

Thanks

Yes it is becoming a bit of a nightmare. I got this pen together with other three at an auction and have tried to salvage it. It isn't possible. RobJohnson, Your help has been very valuable. I don't know if I'll look for a replacement this very moment but who knows. The hood of the Flighter can only be black or any colour goes? Thank you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoA64 For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks

As original, the Flighter section was black Marco,

But, who knows, next week you might buy a Surf Blue 61 that needs a cap.

You can never have enough spare parts.

Thanks

how do I manage to extract the transparent bit and nib from the hood of the 61? Thank you

Parker 61 nib.jpg

Thanks

Good news, I managed to extract the transparent bit, aka collector, and the nib from the hood thanks to the patient help of a forum member :-)
    The question now is, the ink blobbing is caused only by the shrinked hood or the transparent bit comes into play as well?
    The 'collector' seems made of a different material, harder, than then hood. Just curious.