Thread: Polishing a Nib Too Much

Thanks

Default Polishing a Nib Too Much

Let's say I'm using Micro-Mesh 12,000 grit and 1.0 micron Mylar on a cheap, iridium tipped medium steel nib as a way to learn about polishing, and am willing to sacrifice the nib by experimenting, if I use light pressure as is required to keep from damaging the nib, just how much polishing can I do before I finally wear through the iridium, or otherwise damage the nib so that it isn't usable anymore? It seems that those tips are really hard, and that you can go on and on for hours without visibly changing the nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Polishing a Nib Too Much

You won't wear away the iridium. It's more likely you'd break it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

You’re asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop. Nobody knows, because they lose count.

You can wear it away without breaking off. I experimented with an EF once to see how “extra” I could get it. It’ll take you longer with those grades of abrasive, and the mylar will do it faster.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Kgbenson (November 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Once you polish= remove your tip of the tyne it is gone and you must have real reason to do remove/ polish the tynes.
    It must be for the reason of the tynes are scratchy/ too broad/ or want to get an oblique cut shape/ or italic/ cursive grind to facilitate your writing style you must consider DRINDING THE NIB.
    But grinding is not an everyone's cup of tea and you end up waisting your nib unless you know what you are doing.

Polishing and tuning a nib is two different thing. But both need a certain skill and knowledge to get a nib to write on a comfortable level you want.
    Some use 'brown paper' to tune a nib and just imagine what a Mycron Mesh could do to remove a Iridium tip??????