Thread: How to get ink out of ferrule

Thanks

Default How to get ink out of ferrule

Hiya
    I have a Pilot custom heritage 92 with ink in the ferrule. I don’t know how this happened. It’s the only 92 I have that has this problem. Anyone know some fountain pen voodoo to clean it?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: How to get ink out of ferrule

Please can we just clear up where the ferrule is? Are you saying you have ink behind the piston in the end cone of the barrel? I ask this because I always used to get ink stuck inside part of the section that was also very hard to clean out.

If you have ink behind the piston then you could try shaking it back down though it's unlikely to work particularly well. The alternative method would mean disassembly and that runs the risk of breaking the pen as it's not designed for owner disassembly.

There are various You Tube videos for Pilot Custom Heritage 92 disassembly if you search on Google. As they show you, you will need a TWSBI wrench to do that job. First you would need to decide if it's worthwhile for you to take the risk just to remove some ink from behind the piston.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

By ferrule, I mean the part near the nib end. The part that the feed fits into. The plunger stops at the ferrule end and somehow ink got pressed into the hollow near the feed area. No amount of rinsing or soaking will get it out.

Thanks

Thanks

I guess I can call it Pilot’s new cocktail series. This one is vodka cranberry.

Thanks

OK now we're on the same page. That's not strictly a ferrule. It's a collar that holds the nib and feed. That's where I get ink in my Custom 74 and it is a dickens of a job to get it out but I can tell you what I've tried. First of all I've soaked the whole section in water till it runs clear, then FP cleaning solution. That should at least start to remove the colour from the ink, but depends on which ink it is and which FP cleaner you're using. Some users might recommend stronger versions of FP cleaner.

If there is any colour remaining after soaking in FP cleaner then I next pull out the nib and feed and soak the section in FP cleaner again.
    - WARNING put the nib and feed somewhere safe and nowhere near to a sink!!!! - After that i combine a lot of shaking downwards with the section end wrapped in a piece of kitchen towel. That will get some out. Then I leave the pen with its section end wrapped in barely damp kitchen towel overnight. That usually leaches ink into the kitchen towel, especially if you ensure the towel is tightly pressed up to the end of the collar.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Good luck.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 21st, 2022 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Just out of curiosity, if you fill the pen with water and wrap it in a tissue, is the water clear?

If it's a stain and none of the cleaning regiments, Chrissy suggested help, you can try this. I have managed to remove stains by using Sailor Doyou or Noodler's Red Rattler's Eel, which is cheaper.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...omment=3061212

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

- WARNING put the nib and feed somewhere safe and nowhere near to a sink!!!! -
    Knowing as I do, the endless possibilities and ways to create problems and/or lose something in the repair shop, I'd love to hear the story behind that warning. With three exclamation points it must be a doozie.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you fill the pen with water and wrap it in a tissue, is the water clear?

If it's a stain and none of the cleaning regiments, Chrissy suggested help, you can try this. I have managed to remove stains by using Sailor Doyou or Noodler's Red Rattler's Eel, which is cheaper.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...omment=3061212
    In my experience if the pen is filled with water and simply wrapped in a tissue then the water is clear and the tissue is often clean. Cleaning inks have never solved this particluar problem for me. With the Pilot Custom pen it's almost like there is an outer section and an inner section and ink can sometimes get in between the two parts. It's really difficult to get it out once it's in there. I've managed to get some out but never all of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 21st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    - WARNING put the nib and feed somewhere safe and nowhere near to a sink!!!! -
    Knowing as I do, the endless possibilities and ways to create problems and/or lose something in the repair shop, I'd love to hear the story behind that warning. With three exclamation points it must be a doozie.
    I was cleaning out a Parker 45 and for some inexplicable reason I had not put the plug in the sink so when I tipped out the inky water the nib dropped out of it into the corner of the sink. Fortunately not down the plughole. Even if it had gone into my large plug that's like a dish with holes in there, I'm not sure how I would have got it out of there anyway. Best to keep nibs, feeds and small bits as far away from sinks as it's possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Can there be a solution to the issue raised by the OP, when the section is made of clear plastic?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Can there be a solution to the issue raised by the OP, when the section is made of clear plastic?
    Mine is also clear plastic. I'm surprised to see that the blue transparent pen also had a clear section. I suppose the solution is that if you buy an opaque version you will never see there is ink in that place.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Don't buy demonstrators if you don't want to see how the pen works.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Don't buy demonstrators if you don't want to see how the pen works.
    That's the one.