Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nahvalur/Narwahl Nautilus Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 249 Posts

Default Re: Nahvalur/Narwahl Nautilus Review

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    The Noodlers ebonite Ahab(?) smelled like fishing tackle, and never did go away.
    How do you think which ebonite used in Narwhal, given that the production is located in China (presumably). It is unlikely that it is Japanese or German because they do not smell. I don't know how Ahab's ebonite smells like, but Indian celluloid smells like camphor quite strongly, I know it)).
    About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks
    FB: @ArtDesignPenS
    Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS
    Instagram: @andrew.lensky

Thanks

Rephotographed Narwhal Schuylkill 365 to show the true color and texture. Hope I did it.

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org or watch on social networks

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 26th, 2022), dneal (November 26th, 2022), Lady Onogaro (November 28th, 2022), TSherbs (November 26th, 2022), Yazeh (November 26th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

That's lovely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Lensky View Post
    The Noodlers ebonite Ahab(?) smelled like fishing tackle, and never did go away.
    How do you think which ebonite used in Narwhal, given that the production is located in China (presumably). It is unlikely that it is Japanese or German because they do not smell. I don't know how Ahab's ebonite smells like, but Indian celluloid smells like camphor quite strongly, I know it)).
    The Ahab was Indian, if I remember correctly. I think your presumption on the source of Narwhal ebonite is probably correct.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I have not heard that the Chinese cook ebonite. All European brands buy ebonite in Germany, the Japanese use their own ebonite. Apparently, Ranga and other Indians brands use Indian ebonite, it is also cooked in India. I had an one ebonite Indian pen is Asa, but it was odorless, I didn't have any other Indian ebonite pens. I have not heard any more about ebonite manufacturers. Maybe one of the fpgeekers knows more.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

dneal (November 26th, 2022), Yazeh (November 26th, 2022)

Thanks

A quick update on the ebonite smell. It wasn’t super strong when I uncapped the pen, but now it’s so faint I’m not even sure if it’s there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 631 Posts

A quick update on the ebonite smell. It wasn’t super strong when I uncapped the pen, but now it’s so faint I’m not even sure if it’s there.
    Either it's faded or you've acclimated.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Either it's faded or you've acclimated.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    I've considered that, but I'm not around it constantly. I just picked it up, uncapped and held the cap to my nose. No ebonite smell.

It was wrapped in cellophane when it arrived, and I suppose it's been packaged that way since manufacture; and just has had time to "air out".

Thanks

Unfortunately, unlike sound, a cheap way to find out the strength of smell has not yet been invented )

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 6th, 2022), Lloyd (December 5th, 2022), Yazeh (December 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Love this review!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 1st, 2023)

Thanks

45 or so days later, I have to say I'm really pleased with this pen.

Nothing wrong with the steel F nib it came with, and it regulates flow precisely. A nice crisp asian fine, as nice as any Pilot or whatnot.

I made up my mind from the earlier question and ordered a 14k medium for it today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Nice summation of a solid pen, dneal. I have a similar model to these Nautilaus pens, one that I believe may have been a limited edition for their anniversary. It was called the Narwhal (then) 365 Cano Cristales, and was made from Jonathon Brooks "Primary Manipulation" material. The basic design is the same, with the biggest difference being no portholes but an ink window near the end of the barrel; it is visible just below the end of the cap (photo below is not mine but from a site). I did replace the nib with a preferred one but the pen functions and writes well, holding a good supply of ink.

If I'm honest, though, it just doesn't have the same... uh, hand feel for me, which is very subjective, and not a detraction on the pen. As such, I tend to not go for it as often.

However, a pen they put out either a year or two years before, on another anniversary, was the Narwhal Schuylkill 365 in ebonite. I absolutely love this pen, as the balance, unposted, is perfect for my hand, with the hard rubber giving just another ounce or two to the pen. Again, an ink window is a nice feature, the pen is well-crafted and - for whatever reason (perfect match on section/inner cap?) this sucker virtually never dries out, no matter how long between writing sessions. Again, I oped for a nib swap, using an old Sheaffer Lifetime nib. I've actually kept my eyes out for a 2nd one of these but they are hard to find. The one below is mine.

I used to have this pen and like a dummy, sold it. The 365 Ebonite.

I have two nautilus (nautili??) and they will likely be keepers.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 29th, 2023), Lloyd (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Interesting but $150 with not very good build quality? Is that porthole going to leak?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaptrax View Post
    Interesting but $150 with not very good build quality? Is that porthole going to leak?
    I think the build quality is pretty good, actually. There's a separate clear reservoir inside the ebonite. The portholes can't leak absent some catastrophic failure.

Thanks

So the 14k Medium arrived today. I inked it up and played with it.

Some first impressions.

- I like the imprint better, and it's not surprising that it's more pronounced since it's gold instead of steel. I do like the Narwhal itself in the steel nib better though, and wish it carried over with the neat nautical scrollwork.

- It's really soft and springy. Semi-flex to some extent, although I wouldn't use it that way. The double channel feed provides plenty of ink. A F nib should provide some nice variation on downstrokes like a lower case Y or any other letter with a similar descender.

- Manufacturing quality is good, but not quite up to the Germans or Japanese. I'm not sure what caused the marks on the underside. They're not uniform enough to be brush-marks. Stress or material flaw when rolling out the gold ribbon would be my guess. Not really a big deal, and I'm being pretty critical mentioning it.

- Where the steel F nib it came with was adjusted perfectly, this one was way too wet. I base that on looking at the gap between the tines, through a loupe, with a light-source background (usually the sky-light in the kitchen...). There should be the slightest sliver of light still present at the tip. German nibs (Bock, Jowo) often touch - and is the source of many "too dry" or "won't write" complaints. The Bock 060 Kaweco uses is particularly representative.

- Some baby-bottom from overpolishing makes it very smooth, but a initial skipper / hard starter. It can't be adjusted out other than adjusting it to very wet (too wet for my liking). I'm going to grind it out, and may make it a stub.

14k on the left, Steel on the right.

Narwhal Nibs - 1.jpeg

14k closeup

Narwhal Nibs - 3.jpeg

Steel closeup

Narwhal Nibs - 2.jpeg

Underside of 14k (note the lines/scratches). I might take a better picture of this later.

Narwhal Nibs - 1 (1).jpeg

Polishing mistake. Note the left tine and how the nib slit doesn't remain parallel.

Narwhal Nibs - 4.jpeg

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

So a little handwork cleaned everything up.

Narwhal Nibs - 1 (2).jpeg

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 5th, 2023), Yazeh (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

I didn't like the medium.

I went ahead and just made my "Daily Grind"*. I put ever so slight of an oblique on it, and smoothed it to a well-rounded #2 Pencil.

It's engaging. It's actually glorious.

My favorite pen is one of those late 80's W. German 146 that needed a little maintenance. Split ebonite feed, gray window, you know the deal. I sent the nib to Greg Minuskin and had him retip it. It's one of those bouncy 14k nibs MB made back then.

This nib, as ground, is just as engaging. I love it. It's my new favorite pen.

Well for today anyway...

*"Daily Grind" courtesy Jon Szanto

Narwhal Nibs - 2 (1).jpeg
    Narwhal Nibs - 1 (3).jpeg

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 5th, 2023), mizgeorge (February 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_Lensky For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 29th, 2023)