Thread: TWSBI Diamond 580 swapping nibs. Is it just me?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default TWSBI Diamond 580 swapping nibs. Is it just me?

I'm currently trying to review some inks and I normally reach for a Lamy Safari or an Al-Star. However, yesterday I decided I wanted to add a line for an EF nib as other users seem to like them even though I don't. Having turned my pen pots and the house upside down looking for a Lamy EF nib I eventually worked out I didn't have one.

Then I remembered someone gave me a TWSBI EF nib for a Diamond 580, I decided to look through all of the turned out debris in order to try to find that and I was successful. Yay.

So I filled the TWSBI 580, swapped in the EF nib, and wrote with it. Then I needed to swap up to a F nib so I unscrewed the EF nib and dropped it into my clean water pot for rinsing out.

I knew that the section part whether plastic or metal was loose and easily disassembled but the little metal collar also came off that nib while I was cleaning it. Could I get that little metal collar back on? Absolutely not. No way was that nicely slotting back into place like it showed me in various You Tube videos. It left much more of the black plastic collar sticking out beyond it. At one point both nib and feed came out of the collar and I needed to reset them and push them back in. I always thought 580 nibs couldn't be disassembled to that degree but this one came apart easily.

Careful examination showed me that there were micro sized slots in the metal and a very fine rubber O-ring that butted up to a ridge around the feed collar. The metal ring had decided that no way was it going past that ridge. I tried warming up the metal collar, and used my plastic pliers to try and push it on properly. Nope. It wasn't having any of it.

The reason for the problem eventually made itself clear after about an hour of trying to reassemble this nib unit. The tiny O-ring needed to be moved over the ridge towards the nib. As soon as I moved that O-ring the metal collar went straight back on as if to say Problem? What problem?

Therefore I'm posting this just in case this problem ever happens to anyone else. All you need to do is to slide the O-ring over the ridge.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 30th, 2022), manoeuver (November 30th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (November 30th, 2022), TSherbs (November 30th, 2022), Yazeh (November 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: TWSBI Diamond 580 swapping nibs. Is it just me?

Did it write ok after all that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Did it write ok after all that?
    Well - about as good as I would have expected an EF to write. Yes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (November 30th, 2022)

Thanks

thanks for the post... i have a 580 in my collection, and i use it occasionally, but i don't anticipate swapping out the nib

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by msw View Post
    thanks for the post... i have a 580 in my collection, and i use it occasionally, but i don't anticipate swapping out the nib
    I can't find a solution to this problem!
    Minesweeper

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SaintOtis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msw View Post
    I can't find a solution to this problem!
    That's because you're a spammer and you added a hidden link at the end of your spam post. I removed it on my reply

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 4th, 2023)

Thanks

That's quite a story! It's great that you were able to figure out the solution and it's even better that you https://sharpedgeshop.com/collection...kitchen-knives the time to share it with us in case anyone else runs into the same issue. Thanks for being so thorough!
    Last edited by WaltZucher; May 9th, 2023 at 01:43 AM.