Thread: Your Grail Pen Sucks

Thanks

Default Your Grail Pen Sucks

After eye-balling a Namiki Emperor for years and watching every YouTube video I could find, I finally got one this week. And meh!!!

Nothing wrong with it per se, but the writing experience is totally not what I was expecting. In talks with the retailer to see if I can return it, but I might be stuck with it.

Anyone one else finally get their hands on their grail pen only to be disappointed?
    Last edited by jdwhitak; December 2nd, 2022 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Your Grail Pen Sucks

Fortunately not, though I have bought a couple of disappointing pens they weren't grails.

One of the great things about belonging to a pen club (Paris) is that I get the chance to see and try other people's pens. I now know that some of the pens I might have put on my list, like Montblanc 1490 or most Viscontis and Leonardos, are way too heavy for me, and that I don't like Sailor's nibs.

Is it the nib, though, or the pen as a whole? If it's just the nib, it's worth getting a nibmeister to accommodate it more to your taste. I've done this with a couple of pens which went from 'meh' to all-stars, and compared to the cost of a Namiki Emperor, the bill for a nibmeister will be tiny.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 31st, 2022), Chrissy (December 1st, 2022), FredRydr (December 1st, 2022), Yazeh (December 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,522 Posts

This happened often enough when I first started pen "collecting" and bought modern pens that were shipped to me. The lesson I learned is try before you buy when it comes to fountain pens.

If you bought the Namiki new and you try to sell it now, your loss will be considerable. amk's suggestion is a good one. If it's just a matter of the nib, try asking the retailer or manufacturer for a nib exchange or turn to a nibmeister if a regrind will achieve your grail goal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 31st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Good topic, and sorry to hear about your disappointment. I file this sort of thing under the “don’t meet your heroes” idea, and I could list a lot "grail" things that turned out not to be.

We get big hits of dopamine during anticipation, creating expectations where our created idea of something is often impossible for it to meet. The dopamine drop is huge (below baseline). I think we've all been there. On a guitar forum, it's littered with "I bought this guitar (or strings, or tuner, or capo, or...) everyone said was going to be wonderful but I don't like it".

Fred's advice is sound, although a lot of times trying before you buy is difficult. That's the good thing about pen shows! But most of it is about managing expectations, which is not an easy thing to do. Reviews are often made during a honeymoon period. Maybe we ought to do an "old pens, revisited" sort of thing in the review section. I've grown to appreciate some pens that I didn't originally care for.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

amk (December 2nd, 2022), Robalone (December 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Unfortunately, I bought the Emperor new. The two things I don't like about it is the size. I like a larger pen, but this crosses the threshold for me. On the nib, I would prefer it to be a little smoother. I know I can get the nib worked, but nothing can be done about the size. Who knows maybe I'll get used to it. I felt the same way about my 149 at first, now its one of my favorites.

I normally like to try before I buy, but the closest pen shops to me are in Chicago. I had intended to go to the Ohio pen show last month to look at pens on my list in person (the Emperor being one of them), but I didn't make it this year. I guess caveat emptor.

I did take a gamble on a Sailor Ebonite Sculpture last month and I now consider it my best pen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jdwhitak For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Get a Wing Sung 601 and report back. $20 !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdwhitak View Post
    After eye-balling a Namiki Emperor for years and watching every YouTube video I could find, I finally got one this week. And meh!!!

Nothing wrong with it per se, but the writing experience is totally not what I was expecting. In talks with the retailer to see if I can return it, but I might be stuck with it.

Anyone one else finally get their hands on their grail pen only to be disappointed?
    Try writing with it for a few weeks - make it your daily writer. You may find out that after a couple of weeks use, you have a completely different pen. The ink flow may improve and your hand will adjust to the pen.

I've had this with a couple of pens. They went from dry writers to gushers.

Also, changing the paper might help. My Japanese nibs work better on Japanese paper. Apicia is a favourite.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

If you can not get used to the size of the pen maybe you can sell it and buy a Yukari size that is not as big and has a good weight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Motomachi10 View Post
    If you can not get used to the size of the pen maybe you can sell it and buy a Yukari size that is not as big and has a good weight.

I'm really sorry about your misfortune (OP). I had a similar experience with my first Danitrio... a Mikado. Man, what a monster size pen. Too big for me. So I downsized to the Densho. Perfect!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blopplop For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 3rd, 2022), Yazeh (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,013 Posts

@jdwhitak I'm interested to learn if you've kept the pen or successfully returned it to the retailer. I hope you're not "stuck with" an expensive pen that you really don't like. Please let us know what happened.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 31st, 2022), Lloyd (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    @jdwhitak I'm interested to learn if you've kept the pen or successfully returned it to the retailer. I hope you're not "stuck with" an expensive pen that you really don't like. Please let us know what happened.
    Unfortunately the retailer would not let me return the pen. I've made it my daily writer to try to get use to it. The writing performance has improved, but I can't use the pen for long periods of time without my hand starting to cramp.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,013 Posts

Unfortunately the retailer would not let me return the pen. I've made it my daily writer to try to get use to it. The writing performance has improved, but I can't use the pen for long periods of time without my hand starting to cramp.
    Aw that's a real shame. Maybe you could sell it for a good price?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

The writing performance has improved, but I can't use the pen for long periods of time without my hand starting to cramp.
    Perhaps you could try loosening your grip a bit? A tripod grip and a light hand will surely help you prevent cramps.

Thanks

Have you checked your grip? Are you clenching the pen or, as my dear departed teacher demonstrated, could someone easily pull the pen out of your grasp if they came up behind you? There's a reason I had a BIG writer's callous on my middle finger. Which is another thing my grandchildren don't know about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    The writing performance has improved, but I can't use the pen for long periods of time without my hand starting to cramp.
    Perhaps you could try loosening your grip a bit? A tripod grip and a light hand will surely help you prevent cramps.
    Not sure what you mean by a tripod grip. I usually have my index finger on the top and my middle and thumb on opposing sides of the grip. My grip is pretty light also.

I've looked at resell prices of these on eBay and I would have to take upwards of an $800 loss. I'm just going to hold on to it and make the best of it. I do know I'm not buying pens without trying them out first.