Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Echo chambers and other animals.

Thanks

Default Re: Echo chambers and other animals.

TS,
    Your first quote above has nothing to do with your posts, your profession, your personality, or you personally.
    In the second, a 4 dot ellipsis was the occasion in another thread of demeaning the intelligence of a FPG member. Your reply about knowing punctuation was a perfect shut-down from a non-party witness.
    Some folks report, some retort.
    Hopefully you and I both can stand down.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I simply hit the reply button, Kaz (I think). I don't know how two quotes ended up being pasted in. I don't know how that happens, honestly. My bad. I was only replying to your statement that you didn't actually care about the topic (the second quote).

EoC has announced he is leaving. If his absence has any permanence, it will be interesting to see *if* and *how* the dynamic around here might shift. Or not. I hope for improvement and pledge to work for this.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 4th, 2022), RobJohnson (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

A standard ellipsis is three dots with a space before and after.

When the material omitted includes one or more periods (i.e. more than one sentence), a paragraph break, etc. then a four-dot ellipsis can be used.

Where large blocks of text are omitted, some writers or editors use other symbols, such as asterisks * * * centered between paragraphs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I was only replying to your statement that you didn't actually care about the topic (the second quote).

I hope for improvement...
    Not an issue between us, as it allowed me to explain why I cited you as the neutral punctuation authority. Pretty cool, eh?
    By the way, is it three or four?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    A standard ellipsis is three dots with a space before and after.

When the material omitted includes one or more periods (i.e. more than one sentence), a paragraph break, etc. then a four-dot ellipsis can be used.

Where large blocks of text are omitted, some writers or editors use other symbols, such as asterisks * * * centered between paragraphs.
    And there you go, a backup punctuarian!

Thanks

Punctuation is more interesting than most of what gets posted here.

Thanks

Then let it go, if this is true. There is some bone here that you are interested in enough to keep gnawing away at it. What has happened here is that several posters (and i have been one) just can't let go and move on when caught chasing tails with some adversary. Round and round, on punctuation even, it seems.

The bone (my interest) that I've been chewing on of late is actually an effort (and a hope for others) to step out of this circular chase that has spilled from thread to thread. All of us (including me in this post, somewhat) have been behaving reactively, even those who flat deny it. Truly, *all.* How about we each stop, or at least cut way back?

I mean this in no snarky way, I mean this in all respect, but it is the season of Advent. I actually value that a lot (although I struggle with it too). This arguing and continuation of grievance feels very out of step with the spiritual joy, anticipation, and glory of Advent. Hanukkha is also coming, and overlaps with Christmas this year, for further augmentation of spiritual energy in our communities.

It's been on my mind.
    I'm reading and re-reading this post as I follow the concurrent current shoot out in the Constitutional Originalism thread.
    I see some real inconsistencies in a certain member's approach to the way he wants this sub-forum to be conducted moving forward.
    Perhaps I am missing something???

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Then let it go, if this is true. There is some bone here that you are interested in enough to keep gnawing away at it. What has happened here is that several posters (and i have been one) just can't let go and move on when caught chasing tails with some adversary. Round and round, on punctuation even, it seems.

The bone (my interest) that I've been chewing on of late is actually an effort (and a hope for others) to step out of this circular chase that has spilled from thread to thread. All of us (including me in this post, somewhat) have been behaving reactively, even those who flat deny it. Truly, *all.* How about we each stop, or at least cut way back?

I mean this in no snarky way, I mean this in all respect, but it is the season of Advent. I actually value that a lot (although I struggle with it too). This arguing and continuation of grievance feels very out of step with the spiritual joy, anticipation, and glory of Advent. Hanukkha is also coming, and overlaps with Christmas this year, for further augmentation of spiritual energy in our communities.

It's been on my mind.
    I'm reading and re-reading this post as I follow the concurrent current shoot out in the Constitutional Originalism thread.
    I see some real inconsistencies in a certain member's approach to the way he wants this sub-forum to be conducted moving forward.
    yeah, took me a while to let it go. But I have.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

It's been on my mind.
    You aren’t suggesting there’s something incongruous between statements and actions, are you?

I wonder if there’s a word for that…
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

724Seney (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks

It's been on my mind.
    yeah, took me a while to let it go. But I have.
    Uh, Ok.
    Will follow with interest............

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

It's been on my mind.
    You aren’t suggesting there’s something incongruous between statements and actions, are you?

I wonder if there’s a word for that…
    I must confess the "H" word did cross my mind but I didn't go there.
    Why?
    Because I'm all for the recommendation that we, together, can (and will) prove that with EoC "gone" [sic] this place will become less toxic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 4th, 2022)

Thanks

I'll miss him.

Wouldn't miss you a bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I'll miss him.

Wouldn't miss you a bit.
    Back at ya pal.
    What don't you take a few months off and grow a backbone. Right now all you are is a sad sac of self indulgent hot air.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 5th, 2022)