Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the hunt for my first Italian pen

Thanks

Default Re: On the hunt for my first Italian pen

Nobody said Scribo! In my opinion the most artisan, local, and yet rock solid of all the current Italians.

Ralf

Thanks

Well, I think I'm one of the few who enjoy italian pens (and colors), and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that don't really need that much maintenance, compared to 30's+ Sheaffer's or even original P51's.

I own two Montegrappas, Aqua Mestalla, and Nero Uno. I'm very pleased with them.
    I also own two Ancoras, one being a Toscana and the other one unknown. The nib is particularly great, as it has a weird touch I havent sensed in any otehr pen, almost "viscous".
    I had two Stipulas, one being Etruria and the other a Model-T. Both with titanium nibs. I'm still looking for a chance to get a gold nibbed one.
    I have many Deltas... Dolcevita Soirée, Dolcevita Federico, and Fusion 82 are the ones I enjoy more. Maybe the fusion nib is a scam, but I like it. The Dolcevita Soirée is specially good, with a nice and smooth nib with a very particular feedback.
    Omas is probably my favourite italian brand. Sadly, there's no future for them as ASC has no way to be compared to the original. The modern Arco celluloid Ogiva I own is one of the best pens I've tried, being paired with a 360 that I found in hand as a real surprise (a really comfortable pen with a magnificient behaviour over the paper). The Ogiva Guilloché could perfectly fit in that Black Pen Society, along with the classic Paragon/Gentleman/557, and with the Montegrappa Nerouno plus the Dolcevita Soirée.
    From Aurora, I had an Alpha (not really great), but have some Optimas (75th anniv, Mare, Primavera). Great for everyday use, but I do not like the Riserva Magica which is in truth more of a reminder of being out of ink than a reserve, and I still couldn't find a way for an easy cleaning when changing colours.
    I own a Pineider Egosphere with a 18k nib that works great but has not much personallity.
    Visconti probably is, along with Lalex, the brand I have owned less pens from. Only a Van Gogh Maxi, and 'm not really into metallic sections. This being said, the Rotring Visconti made is great, even though I've never used the "tintenkuli" point. Sooner or later I'll have to try the Homo Sapiens.
    Marlen has good and bad pens, but their gold nibbed I have are good (specially a Forme Petite that I use as pocket pen).
    My last italian pen is a Tibaldi Trasparente that is one of my favourites.

As someone recommended you, I would go for a NOS pen from 90's onwards over an "in poduction" one, the same way that, in my opinion, a modern Sheaffer's cannot be compared to the pre-90's ones.

I personally prefer italian over german pens, but it's true that I'm an F/EF pen user. Lamy and Pelikan are good, but MB, GvF-C, Diplomat, and Cleo Skribent all were unsatisfactory (and from Pelikan almost only the M600 size is good for me in "balance").
    Last edited by sirtoti; December 19th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sirtoti For This Useful Post:

amk (October 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralfstc View Post
    Nobody said Scribo! In my opinion the most artisan, local, and yet rock solid of all the current Italians.

Ralf
    I'll second that. I have a Feel and love it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirtoti View Post
    Well, I think I'm one of the few who enjoy italian pens (and colors), and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that don't really need that much maintenance, compared to 30's+ Sheaffer's or even original P51's.

I own two Montegrappas, Aqua Mestalla, and Nero Uno. I'm very pleased with them.
    I also own two Ancoras, one being a Toscana and the other one unknown. The nib is particularly great, as it has a weird touch I havent sensed in any otehr pen, almost "viscous".
    I had two Stipulas, one being Etruria and the other a Model-T. Both with titanium nibs. I'm still looking for a chance to get a gold nibbed one.
    I have many Deltas... Dolcevita Soirée, Dolcevita Federico, and Fusion 82 are the ones I enjoy more. Maybe the fusion nib is a scam, but I like it. The Dolcevita Soirée is specially good, with a nice and smooth nib with a very particular feedback.
    Omas is probably my favourite italian brand. Sadly, there's no future for them as ASC has no way to be compared to the original. The modern Arco celluloid Ogiva I own is one of the best pens I've tried, being paired with a 360 that I found in hand as a real surprise (a really comfortable pen with a magnificient behaviour over the paper). The Ogiva Guilloché could perfectly fit in that Black Pen Society, along with the classic Paragon/Gentleman/557, and with the Montegrappa Nerouno plus the Dolcevita Soirée.
    From Aurora, I had an Alpha (not really great), but have some Optimas (75th anniv, Mare, Primavera). Great for everyday use, but I do not like the Riserva Magica which is in truth more of a reminder of being out of ink than a reserve, and I still couldn't find a way for an easy cleaning when changing colours.
    I own a Pineider Egosphere with a 18k nib that works great but has not much personallity.
    Visconti probably is, along with Lalex, the brand I have owned less pens from. Only a Van Gogh Maxi, and 'm not really into metallic sections. This being said, the Rotring Visconti made is great, even though I've never used the "tintenkuli" point. Sooner or later I'll have to try the Homo Sapiens.
    Marlen has good and bad pens, but their gold nibbed I have are good (specially a Forme Petite that I use as pocket pen).
    My last italian pen is a Tibaldi Trasparente that is one of my favourites.

As someone recommended you, I would go for a NOS pen from 90's onwards over an "in poduction" one, the same way that, in my opinion, a modern Sheaffer's cannot be compared to the pre-90's ones.

I personally prefer italian over german pens, but it's true that I'm an F/EF pen user. Lamy and Pelikan are good, but MB, GvF-C, Diplomat, and Cleo Skribent all were unsatisfactory (and from Pelikan almost only the M600 size is good for me in "balance").
    And I also have to agree with your statements. I have more Italian pens than any others, with Japanese pens a distant second ( not saying I don't love my German, American, English, independent brands...)

Thanks

Nakaya is a wonderful pen, and you’ll have many hours of joy writing with it. If you ever feel in the mood for an Italian pen, the Visconti Homo Sapiens is a wonderful range of beautiful pens, and you’ll be very pleased with it. They are a bit pricey, but beauty does have its price. I pulled the trigger on a Santini Italia last year, and can say only good things about it.

Thanks

Well, I might be back in the market for an Italian pen. I was recently able to check out a Visconti Homosapien and I liked the capping mechanism. Additional thought on Visconti such as quality, writing experience, and customer support.

I sold off all but one of my collection. I kept my Sailor Kirikane. Wanting to have 2-3 top notch pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

I haven't read through your thread again. There is an Aurora Optima (made in Turin) in the classifieds now, for about $100 less than often seen. https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...ia-and-LeBoeuf

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I haven't read through your thread again. There is an Aurora Optima (made in Turin) in the classifieds now, for about $100 less than often seen. https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...ia-and-LeBoeuf
    Agreed. I have that exact pen and the price is very reasonable.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Me too. That one even has the earlier Greek key band, which I like better than the AURORA band that's on mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Me too. That one even has the earlier Greek key band, which I like better than the AURORA band that's on mine.
    I think this is the pen. What we love about their (better) celluloid is also that which makes getting a decent pic... tricky! Here's mine, grabbed from the case and the afternoon sun.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (October 7th, 2023), Yazeh (October 6th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

I have an as new Aurora Optima LE 365 with a F nib that I'm going to sell. I'm considering taking it to Dromgoole's with me if I go th Houston next year.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I think this is the pen. What we love about their (better) celluloid is also that which makes getting a decent pic... tricky! Here's mine, grabbed from the case and the afternoon sun.

I also have this same pen. Wonderful writer and well made.

Thanks

Doesn't anyone here like Montegrappa? I have a few of them and I love them. They're really beautiful pens! I've never had a problem with my Extra in 23 years and the nib is just beautiful and writes well every time. MHO.

I also have an Aurora Optima - A beautiful pen, the nib is a little stiff though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vdiantonio View Post
    Doesn't anyone here like Montegrappa? I have a few of them and I love them. They're really beautiful pens! I've never had a problem with my Extra in 23 years and the nib is just beautiful and writes well every time....
    I don't think it's a question of not liking Montegrappa pens, but rather an opportunity to buy a quality Italian pen for a great price in the FPG classified. With a bit of searching, you can find a Montegrappa in the FPG classifieds: well-respected ArchiMark has a Montegrappa for sale, as does gclv_pen$.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwhitak View Post
    Well, I decided to get a Nakaya. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on ASC. Saved me from making an expensive mistake, potentially.
    In my opinion, this is an example of FPG at its best!
    Congratulations, also in my opinion, you made a great decision. Nakayas are terrific pens.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I'm back looking at Italian pens. Seriously considering a Visconti Homo Sapiens or an Aurora Internazionale. Thoughts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdwhitak View Post
    I'm back looking at Italian pens. Seriously considering a Visconti Homo Sapiens or an Aurora Internazionale. Thoughts?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 11th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I just bought my first Italian fountain pen. A Monteverde Aldo Domani.

Pen Chalet has them on sale for $29... Just nabbed a blue one with a stub nib. Lacquered solid brass. Couldn't help myself.
    Last edited by calamus; October 7th, 2023 at 11:37 AM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Take a look at Delta. They recently reopened after a stop of 5 years - same people, same materials, new equipments - and are making really beatiful pens - completely made in Italy.
    Moreover, they're also still finding NOS pieces, which they offer after a thorough overhaul, inspection and testing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I bought a Maiora Alpha Oroarancio 14K (medium) gargoyle miniatures for my retirement (direct from Italy at a discount) that I love. download poker android It's a fat pen, and not perfect. But very Italian in its heritage and look.
    Attractive but not well-crafted, high maintenance, yet beloved – much like all things Italian.
    Last edited by WaltZucher; November 10th, 2023 at 08:24 PM.