Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump and the Constitution

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Trump and the Constitution

Should Trump's request for the abrogation of the Consitution for him to be installed as president be taken seriously ? I think yes, and honestly I consider this an ethical and moral lapse so great that he should be DQ'd from being able to run for office. I know that that is not actually accurate because the office of the president has no moral or ethical pre-requisites.

But I am curious what others think, especially if you have been a Republican supporter in the past (I imagine that Trump will run for the GOP nomination, but he could jump to a third party, I suppose).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Misfit (January 3rd, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Trump and the Constitution

I'm trying to find what he said, precisely; rather than the characterizations of it in headlines.

--edit--

Finally. It's really odd that most of the media can post images of tweets in response, but not the original post from Trump.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 8.25.52 PM.png
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

So to break this down. The "massive fraud, etc..." is unsubstantiated.

The "working closely with big tech" is accurate - and that regards the suppression of the Hunter laptop story.

The rest is Trump being Trump. What does "even those found in the Constitution" mean? When the electoral college meets? House and Senate members contesting electoral votes?

"Throw out the constitution" and other hyperbolic headlines are disingenuous. Trump's still an obnoxious asshole.

Much ado about nothing.

Thanks

That seems to be, in the last line, a generous characterization. But I don't mind hearing it.

Thanks

Maybe the ramblings of a narcissist are significant to you, but it’s about as important to me as Ye’s appearance on Alex Jones.

Much ado about nothing seems apt rather than generous, but I’m not particularly interested in media manufactured drama. Seems the less airtime he gets, the better.

Thanks

I don't disagree, except that he was president of the United States, and has announced that he is running again. He could win the nomination and the election. He's not a rapper. His "ramblings" influence millions of people and have helped stoke rallies and an assault on the Capitol.

Thanks

The "much to do about nothing" is a common reply. When does it become something. I appreciated Liz and Adams comments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I don't disagree, except that he was president of the United States, and has announced that he is running again. He could win the nomination and the election. He's not a rapper. His "ramblings" influence millions of people and have helped stoke rallies and an assault on the Capitol.
    You don't have to be the President or the ex-President to get something like that done........
    A few woke folks (with the kind help of the liberal press) very successfully got cities burned, millions of dollars of property destroyed and innocent people killed.

Thanks

and Gandhi spawned a revolution with just a robe and his bowl and several woke ideas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Constitution of the United States
    Article II, Section 1, Clause 5:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
    Trump seems to qualify Constitutionally to hold office a second time, should he run and be elected.

I’m not clear on the argument that someone should be disqualified because they said or posted about throwing out portions of the constitution in certain circumstances, unless they agree that certain portions of the constitution be thrown out in certain circumstances.

Thanks

and Gandhi spawned a revolution with just a robe and his bowl and several woke ideas
    Right.
    So, what's your point?
    Why fixate so intently on Trump? In terms of damage (property destroyed, lives lost) he pales in comparison to those affectionately referred to by the liberal press as "peaceful protestors.

Thanks

To tie specific Presidents, past and present, to the issue of Constitutional Originalism we could discuss past and present Presidential views of the Constitution. Hopefully with some specifics.

Merle Miller, author of Plain Speaking an oral biography of Harry Truman, asked the former President if he thought Richard Nixon had read the Constitution. HST replied that he didn't know if RMN read it but, if he did, HST was sure he hadn't understood it.

In my view, the use of Executive Orders is a deliberate attempt to arrogate to themselves power not provided to them by the separation of powers within the Constitution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Right.
    So, what's your point?
    Why fixate so intently on Trump? In terms of damage (property destroyed, lives lost) he pales in comparison to those affectionately referred to by the liberal press as "peaceful protestors.
    My point is stated clearly in the OP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Right.
    So, what's your point?
    My point is stated clearly in the OP.
    Oh, ok. So then the post that I reacted to "does not count" because you went off topic relative to the OP.
    Got it. I'm good.
    Thanks.

Thanks

You asked why I am focused 9n Trump. I answered this in my first post. I don't understand what you are insinuating here.

Why I am focused on Trump with this thread is stated very clearly in my first post: I think that his behavior deserves DQ to be president again. I think the same of Kanye's "candidacy" (I am not sure if he is serious), but for different reasons. I think it of Mario Cuomo, if he were to run.

There is no hidden agenda here.

Thanks

Should Trump's request for the abrogation of the Consitution for him to be installed as president be taken seriously ? I think yes, and honestly I consider this an ethical and moral lapse so great that he should be DQ'd from being able to run for office. I know that that is not actually accurate because the office of the president has no moral or ethical pre-requisites.

But I am curious what others think, especially if you have been a Republican supporter in the past (I imagine that Trump will run for the GOP nomination, but he could jump to a third party, I suppose).
    He must first be charged and convicted of something for which disqualifies him from public office. While the Jan 6 Committee showed he was involved, no court has convicted him of anything.

I think this latest is to keep himself in the news. If you read of his early years, he has always done things to get attention. He's a stunt man aka Central Park Skating Rink stunt.

Sure, there are problems with the WOKE movements tactics, but not with the idea that I should be educated that black and brown people in the US has struggled differently than white people. Why would I want to ignore this?

Yes, there is a liberal press and there is a conservative press. I read both and am somewhere in the middle. For example, Bill Kristol is a Neoconservative and a vocal critic of Trump. While I appreciate his views on Trump, I do not think forcing nations into democracies is what the US should be about. His father was Irving. I remember him being interviewed by Rush Limbaugh.

Yes, property damage was done by Black Lives Matter protests.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; December 5th, 2022 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    1. Sure, there are problems with the WOKE movements tactics, but not with the idea that I should be educated that black and brown people in the US has struggled differently that white people. Why would I want to ignore this? 2. Yes, property damage was done by Black Lives Matter protests.

To your points:
    1. You wouldn't want to ignore that nor should any one else.
    2. And, innocent people were killed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 5th, 2022)

Thanks

I think that his behavior deserves DQ to be president again.
    That is a popular thought, but what would be the Constitutional, or other basis for his disqualification?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    I think that his behavior deserves DQ to be president again.
    That is a popular thought, but what would be the Constitutional, or other basis for his disqualification?
    None. This is my character standard, my opinion (same for the other fellows I mention). I also stated this in my OP.

Thanks

Understood.
    Appreciate that juries aren't instructed that they need only rely on their opinions in reaching a verdict.