Thread: Surface Tension in a Converter

Thanks

Default Surface Tension in a Converter

I have a bottle of Diamine Bilberry ink, and I'm using it in a converter, but the ink tends to stay at the top of the converter unless I thump the converter to make it drop. I guess this is a surface tension issue? Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Smile Re: Surface Tension in a Converter

I would firstly empty the converter, flush it through with warm water with one drop of dish soap, shake it up and then a good rinse with clear water.

Some converters have a tiny ball bearing or a metal spring or coil of wire to break up the surface tension, you might see a meniscus on the liquid. If your converter doesn't have any of these things you might try and find a better converter or replicate the spring such as from a Clicky ball point pen, cut the spring to about 1/3 and feed it through the converter. It should be free enough to move through the converter to break the surface tension. Coiled fuse wire might also work but I haven't tried that.

Good luck

Eta auto correct changed Clicky to chucky.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; December 7th, 2022 at 10:27 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

Default Re: Surface Tension in a Converter

I have found there are two categories that inks can fit into. Those that don't stay at the top of converters and those that do. Yes you need a ball bearing or a spring inside the converter to break the surface tension that some inks can exhibit.
    My own preference would be to get a converter that already came with either one of these rather than to try and fix up something myself.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Platinum cartridges are sealed with ball bearings, and you can just cut them open and re-use the bearing in a converter; obviously, these are guaranteed to not rust in normal fountain pen ink. If the converter can't be opened from the back, it's going to be a real pain or you're going to have to get a couple of small ball bearings and remember not to lose them every time you want to clean the converter.

Thanks

There is a helpful YouTube video from sbrebrown that deals with this issue and shows you how to fix the problem

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

SkyCyclePilot (December 8th, 2022), Yazeh (December 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Platinum cartridges are sealed with ball bearings, and you can just cut them open and re-use the bearing in a converter; obviously, these are guaranteed to not rust in normal fountain pen ink. If the converter can't be opened from the back, it's going to be a real pain or you're going to have to get a couple of small ball bearings and remember not to lose them every time you want to clean the converter.
    I do have one that can be opened from the back. Thanks!

Thanks

Rufus is a genuine application that does not include any advertisements, banners, or bundled software. It is free to use for both personal and commercial purposes. This application will not infect you with viruses or malware if you download it from its official website. Get more information rufus du sol.