Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: your take on ChatGPT: thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: your take on ChatGPT: thoughts?

Messing around with it, Chatgpt 4 is worlds better then 3.5 is.
    I'd rate it as a better mediocre copywriter with persistent problems with factual accuracy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    persistent problems with factual accuracy.
    Sounds like the so-called news.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,318 Posts

Open AI dropped "Sora" today. It's a prompt-based video generator, and it's really good.

The implications are pretty huge. Legitimate usage, it's a threat to Hollywood (which is largely actors on green-screen with armies of CGI programmers). The illegitimate uses for misinformation are obvious. You can find some samples here:

https://openai.com/sora

The second video using the prompt "Historical footage of California during the gold rush" is pretty amazing, actually.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Open AI dropped "Sora" today. It's a prompt-based video generator, and it's really good.
    View the "stylish woman" vid and look at her legs. It happens not just once, but twice.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    View the "stylish woman" vid and look at her legs. It happens not just once, but twice.
    They point out some of the issues with the other videos, but I missed that one. I was focused on the hands. Why AI can't get fingers right is something I don't quite understand.

That said, the "stylish woman" video is still pretty amazing (errors and all), from just a text prompt.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Oh, I'm not discounting the remarkable abilities. It's just that, while seeing what gets bobbled, I'm mindful that for every good purpose this might be turned to, I definitely believe it will be overwhelmed by the destructive uses of it. And the further they dial it in, the more excellent the representations, the worse the harm will be. Nothing to be done about it, of course.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,251 Times in 2,256 Posts

I have to admit this is both frightening and exciting.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 15th, 2024), dneal (February 15th, 2024), Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2024), Schaumburg_Swan (February 15th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I have to admit this is both frightening and exciting.
    In a nutshell.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 16th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Apologies if this was already cited: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/08/n...sanctions.html

Thanks

The tools of the greatest master manipulators through all of time are now in my hands --- and the hands of those who can harm me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 16th, 2024)

Thanks

AI? We're playing Russian roulette with a gun someone else loaded while we weren't watching. And we don't know how many bullets were loaded or whether it's a revolver or a belt-fed machine gun. I know something about algorithms, machine learning, and firearms. I'd say AI is a machine gun.

Thanks

Well over 40 years ago I got into "computers." I was the guy with the 300-baud acoustic coupler sending single line messages to "bulletin boards." You may recognize the type, and I was a rebel about it. In the large organization I was a part of it took great battles, but I broke my group away from the distributed systems model and set us up with individual desktop computers --- much to our greater productivity and satisfaction. I was also writing a newspaper column at the time and took a lot of flak for suggesting that humanity may be on the verge of transitioning from a carbon-based life form to a silicon-based lifeform. There are potential great advantages from a practical standpoint. Obviously, there are substantial issues regarding the spiritual side of human nature. Do we simply give up our "better angels" for the benefits of better "software"? And if our "better angels" are no better than allowing us to persecute and murder six million at a clip, are those "better angels" worth it? I see it as quite a topic for discussion.

Anyway, this AI business seems all a part of the transition I predicted so long ago. And it's quite scary because change is always scary. As a seer once said: "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die."