Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Point to Cursive?

Thanks

Question Any Point to Cursive?

An opinion piece in today's The New York Times asks:

What's the Point of Teaching Cursive?

John McWhorter, a linguist at Columbia University suggests cursive has had its day. He likens those championing it to those who said silent movies were better than the ones then coming out with sound tracks. He makes some interesting points and goes through some of the usual arguments. I lean toward agreeing with him.

Personally, I've grown pretty weary of cursive. I started using it when I got "into" fountain pens again about 10 years ago. But I never really liked it when I learned it 70 years ago, abandoned it nearly my entire adult life, and now I'm using it only sparingly; why I don't really know. Maybe it has to do also with fountain pens as I'm growing sort of weary of them too. I've discovered some gel pens that are much smoother to write with, far less trouble to maintain --- and they put down a much more pleasing line on the paper. Also, they use a permanent, archival quality ink. And at less than $3, why would I want a fountain pen?

Anyway, the article is behind a paywall, of course. This link may get you around it, I don't know...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/o...smid=share-url

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 631 Posts

Default Re: Any Point to Cursive?

Here's the PDF
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/63995fd7...NYTcursive.PDF

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 30th, 2022), Brilliant Bill (December 13th, 2022), carlos.q (December 14th, 2022), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Chrissy (December 14th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks

I tend to write cursive most of the time. If I want to write fast, I can write cursive faster than printing. I’ve made some capital letters my own style, and simply like to write that way, especially with stub and italic nibs.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bisquitlips (December 30th, 2022), Brilliant Bill (December 14th, 2022), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Chrissy (December 14th, 2022), dneal (December 15th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2022), Morgaine (December 14th, 2022), Prettypenguin (December 31st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 16th, 2022), Stands on Feet (December 15th, 2022), Yazeh (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Agree, and it was my profession to teach writing (but not literacy)....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 15th, 2022), Lloyd (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

One could easily ask: What's the point of teaching poetry?

I've got the article slotted into my evening reading (daytime today is my backlogged correspondence) and then if I have any cogent thoughts, I'll type.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 14th, 2022), Cyril (December 24th, 2022), Prettypenguin (December 31st, 2022), Yazeh (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Interesting option piece. But then the author, never did like cursive. I personally had always difficulty taking notes, but I always find a sense of peace and happiness if I write cursive or practice calligraphy.
    I am not sure if writing engages the non-verbal right side of the brain (as it does with drawing). However, I've noticed that when I write for pleasure, my stress levels are non existent Typing on the other hand, is not so pleasant..

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (December 30th, 2022), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Lloyd (December 14th, 2022), Prettypenguin (December 31st, 2022), Robalone (January 8th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    One could easily ask: What's the point of teaching poetry?
    I asked it, professionally, every year. I have even given a speech answering it. That is a valid question.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

amk (December 15th, 2022), Brilliant Bill (December 15th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

This got stuck in my head, probably because I agree with everything but the conclusion. I'm undecided on that.

I hated writing in cursive, simply because we had to. Even in college, when typewriters were out of circulation but computers weren't ubiquitous; most of my papers were written - in cursive. Once I had a career, I abandoned it for all caps print. It was easier and seemed just as fast. It was easily legible. I still take notes or make to-do lists in all caps print. I get what McWhorter is saying.

But none of that addresses the question, really. One might as well ask why teach writing, in this digital age. Why not teach 6-year olds how to read and type? Maybe that will be the question for a future decade, and I still don't have a settled conclusion in my mind.

That's probably because the question gets to a fundamental, philosophical "why"; which there often many arguments pro and con, and no clear answers. Why use a fountain pen? after all...

There's an argument for utility, should some apocalyptic type event happen and we lose technology. An EMP attack. Some previously not experienced solar event, or the magnetic poles shifting. Writing is a backup, just like physical books are. How many years have we heard the term "paperless"? only to find we prefer hitting "print" to read or save something that exists only digitally.

I prefer the argument of aesthetics, and it seems this is what draws the younger generation(s) to fountain pens. Cursive, or italic, or any sort of calligraphic letterform looks neat. There's an aesthetic pleasure to watching a neat formulation of ink leave a legacy of where the tip of a nib was just a moment ago. Watching the ink follow the trace, collecting toward the end of the stroke and creeping backwards ever so slightly. Watching a nice juicy nib leave an observable deposit of colored liquid on paper; and seeing the process of it drying.

Hmmm. I have the answer for Professor McWhorter. What's the point of teaching cursive? To have another excuse to appreciate fountain pens.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

amk (December 15th, 2022), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Chrissy (December 17th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2022), manoeuver (December 17th, 2022), Robalone (January 8th, 2023), Yazeh (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

I don't know if there's any point to teaching cursive. It seems to be on its way out. I think that's a pity because I enjoy writing that way and reading it. I touch-type fast but that's just work to me, not pleasure. I never write in block capitals unless it's on a form that demands it; it looks childish to me. That's what we stopped doing at age seven when we learned cursive.

Cursive certainly had a point until quite recently. It was what was written on most official paper: military records, births, deaths and marriages but the ubiquitous printer has taken over most of that. Cursive may go quite soon apart from us dinosaurs. I'm not sure its demise has importance. Most of what I read now is in fonts like this.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2022), Chrissy (December 17th, 2022), Prettypenguin (December 31st, 2022), Robalone (January 8th, 2023), Yazeh (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Sans Serif - the horror!!!
    There has been a bit of a revival of teaching cursive.
    Some professors have banned laptops in the classroom, including tech and law school.
    See,https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annal...-the-classroom
    There was a charming book, HANDWRITING - A National Survey by Reginald Pigott, George Allen and Unwin Ltd, 1958. The book was a survey with "over 400 illustrated examples [which] will show as far as possible all types of handwriting...." Sections were divided by occupation, type of pen, etc.
    All this from a guy who was the only student in the entire third and fourth grades who could not earn a Palmer Handwriting Certificate, to the horror of his mother. I finally bought the Palmer pins on ebay.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2022), Robert (December 15th, 2022), welch (December 31st, 2022), Yazeh (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    ... I’ve made some capital letters my own style, and simply like to write that way, especially with stub and italic nibs.
    Although the article is about cursive, I think this is an important point and I agree. When you look back at early writing, you find things like uncial majuscule - all caps print essentially - that's attractive. A stub/italic adds interest and you don't have to pay specific attention to the precise orientation of the nib like you would with true italic script. Modern architect print could also be a different example, just with the "stub" ground in a different direction. It makes for interesting and attractive print.

I wonder if cursive resulted from an evolution of nib (or quill) shape. A sharp point works exponentially better with a downstroke.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2022), Yazeh (December 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

All I know is, I like to write by hand.

In grade school, I was held after class, bullied and vilified for my sloppy southpaw cursive. They tried and failed to make me switch hands. Fountain pens helped enormously with my desire to improve my hand.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2022), dneal (December 16th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 16th, 2022), manoeuver (December 17th, 2022), TSherbs (December 16th, 2022), Yazeh (December 16th, 2022), Zhivago (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Just a response to a claim in the NYT article; I have never heard cursive could be any better than other hand writing for memory and the cognitive process. I think that must be some mix up from hand writing and paper versus typing and keyboard?

In my observation and personal experience most people may need a firm up of their hand writing as the years go by. Readability and neatness have little to do with the style of writing. Through life, as the decades go by, things happen to us, we often need to renew our skills and physical fine tuning. These brake or interruptions that happen to us are not reasons to leave off anything, at least if you have any need or desire to write. Keeping up our skills and abilities are what heals and renew us in many ways. I am pretty sure that snipping off too much and not letting anything grow back will not be good for us. Not everything should be done on a touch pad or laptop and pc keyboard. Cursive writing comes in many versions, some more elaborate, but the basic modern ones close to Spencerian/Palmer are up to any style when it comes to ease, speed and readability.

I think we were much better at reading hand writing in the 1980s and 90s, particularly those harder to decipher. A lot has to do with practice. We had notebooks, letters, postcards in the mail all the time. I don`t think and write the same way with pen and paper as I do on a computer and LCD screen. There is always someone who wants to get rid of something, snip off and simplify too much.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 16th, 2022), Yazeh (December 16th, 2022)

Thanks

I love the smoother, more expressive, individualistic nature of cursive handwriting. Also, my observations of (mature) student writing is that the more 'jagged' finger / hand movement required with non-cursive (Caps? - can't get on with the term 'print' 'cos it's not!) could well be less kind on the little muscles. I do find that my grip on the pen is a little more relaxed when cursive writing. On a related note, I am APPALLED to see how badly the kids of today hold a pen or pencil. All sorts of strange finger positions that really inhibit subtle control. One can only blame the teachers, most of whom probably don't know (or care) any different.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    One can only blame the teachers, most of whom probably don't know (or care) any different.
    That's not fair, or accurate.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 18th, 2022), catbert (December 17th, 2022), Chrissy (December 17th, 2022), countrydirt (December 17th, 2022), Deb (December 17th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 16th, 2022), Lloyd (December 16th, 2022), Yazeh (December 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

I read the article and it's midwit modern garbage.

This McWhorter fella's vibes and arguments are aesthetically bereft (and I don't think he'd see anything wrong with that.)

Cursive is important because it's beautiful when done well. If you don't value beauty it won't make any sense.

(warning, cranky opinions follow)

Creating beauty with handwriting requires dedication, practice, effort, and results in a measurable improvement of the practitioner.

All these traditional values have come to be anathema to the Columbia Professor/NYT columnist type.
    They fail to understand the value of something then declare there is no value there.
    Thoroughly modern hubris. Dreck. Trash.

If/when the power goes out this guy will be eaten within a week.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (December 17th, 2022), Gulfcoast (December 26th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 17th, 2022), Robalone (December 17th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 21st, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (December 24th, 2022), Wahl (December 23rd, 2022), Zhivago (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks

To add a bit of epilogue to this thread, I just saw another article pop up in my news feed that is a collection of reader responses to the article. I hope the link is accessible to most of you, but let me know if it isn't and I'll see if there is another route.

Who Cares About Cursive? Kids Don’t Learn to Churn Butter Anymore, Either.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 21st, 2022), Deb (December 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

We churned butter in school. I could still do it.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 21st, 2022), Prettypenguin (December 31st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    You aren't a kid, anymore...

~ Benjamin Franklin

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 21st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    You aren't a kid, anymore...
    Bet he could still churn butter.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 22nd, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 22nd, 2022)