Thread: Noodler's Rome (aka Rome Burning)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,325 Times in 2,279 Posts

Cool Noodler's Rome (aka Rome Burning)

I discovered this ink thanks to one of Nick Stewart’s videos. This is one of the double dye inks, belonging to the same family as General of the Armies and the now discontinued lovely House Divided. This one has a purple dye below the beige/yellow coloured one.
    To quote Nathan:
    "Rome Burning” has a bulletproof patrician core color of Caesar’s purple with the colors of the inferno that wash away from it with excess liquidity. As it dries there are shades of brass that can actually shine on some paper grades and can halo the darker core when using the right nib/feed combination. On very absorbent cellulose paper the patrician core can be seen in the center as the fire surrounds it – as if an eclipse of the sun."

Here you go, its magic when applied on wet watercolour paper:

When smudged with a wet Q-Tip, the yellow component washes away to leave the purple colour:

Also when you rinse the pen, the dominant colour in the sink is a rich purple

I have nothing like this ink.

It’s a wet, fast drying ink on most papers but, Midori/ Tomoe River 68gr papers. With some wide nibs the purple dye is visible for a split second. It’s the type of ink I really like, murky, fast drying and dependable. I thought the purple dye would be difficult to wash out but in the end in the end I used only water. I read that it stains convertors but it didn’t do mine. So be careful if you're fussy about stains

It’s a pity Nathan changed the name of this one. It was so evocative. I used quotes from notable Romans, and the infamous Nero, to whom this ink alludes.
    Writing samples:
    Rhodia

TR 68gr

Midori Codex

Mnemosyne

Apica

· Pens used: : Kaweco Perkeo Fine/ Pilot Kakuna Medium, Jinhao 450 /Fude Nib
    · Shading: Lovely
    · Ghosting: On cheap paper,depending nib, probably.
    · Bleed through: depending nib, probably.
    · Flow Rate: Wet
    · Lubrication: Good
    · Nib Dry-out: Not noticed
    · Start-up: Not noticed
    · Saturation: Nicely saturated…
    · Shading Potential: Only with Fude nib on Midori/ TR 68 gr papers.
    · Sheen: Nope...
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not noticed...
    · Staining (pen): I’ve read that it can stain convertors, but it didn’t mine.
    · Clogging: Nope.
    · Water resistance: The yellow component washes away and leave a purple line
    · Availability: 3 oz/ 90 ml bottles

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Armstrong (December 17th, 2022), bunnspecial (December 15th, 2022), catbert (December 14th, 2022), Chrissy (December 15th, 2022), junglejim (December 21st, 2022), Lloyd (December 14th, 2022), mizgeorge (December 14th, 2022), WHITE (December 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Rome (aka Rome Burning)

Nice colour. I thought it reminded me of Diamine Razzmatazz but that one is a more yellow base than Rome.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Nice colour. I thought it reminded me of Diamine Razzmatazz but that one is a more yellow base than Rome.
    I don't know Razzmatazz. This is an unusual ink. But with the right pen/ paper it's a joy to write with.

Thanks

Some of these two color inks from Noodler's will change color over time and make the second color more apparent. Does this ink do so? One I am thinking of is Air-Corp Blue-Black. Just loaded a pen with that color.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    Some of these two color inks from Noodler's will change color over time and make the second color more apparent. Does this ink do so? One I am thinking of is Air-Corp Blue-Black. Just loaded a pen with that color.
    I don't know. I haven't seen any of General of the Armies properties (Turning from sea glass green to blue over time). However, in G of the Ar, the blue dye is at the bottom of the bottle and one needs to shake it before filling the ink. I didn't notice any rogue dye at the bottom of my sample

Thanks

@Yazeh: Ah I think you are right, may be G of the Armies I was thinking of for this. Been a while since I used either. I use a vibration motor from a small cleaning tool to impart vibrations into the bottle in an effort to avoid bubbles. I think this small size engine is more effective on ink inside the pen than it is the entire bottle. Might work better if I had a way to transfer the energy to the bottle better than I do now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 17th, 2022)