Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schon Design

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: Schon Design

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    For the clip lovers, bear in mind that the original design intent of his line of pens was as a "pocket pen" and he didn't mean shirt pocket. For the younger pen buyers, this means in their pants pocket or in a backpack, a durable pen that can get tossed around and still function well. His metal bodies and smart design (lots of o-rings to prevent leaks, cap threading on back for full-size expansion) have proven to be very popular. Fewer and fewer people (read: men) are carrying pens in a shirt pocket these days. Sign of the times.
    I carry pens in my pants pocket—in Gen Z fashion—but still prefer them with clip , for when I have a notebook and want to secure them to it. A pen without a good clip feels insecure to me. The pocket thing is mainly because I don’t wear many shirts with pockets, and don’t like the feel of it or aesthetic for some reason (probably the same reason I don’t wear a watch). However my current pocket carry is an OMAS 555/s—not exactly a pen I want bumped around.
    If he made these with good semiflex nibs and a piston filler I’d try one out…I like the section shape and the patterns are novel and intriguing.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I finally got a chance to use the Monoc nib that my friend got. Maybe the coolest looking nib I have seen, and it appears to be well built (like all of Ian's products).
    I'm not sure what I was expecting (how revelatory a product could it be?) but it is a nice nib. Not the best I have used. Understanding that nib qualities are subjective, it was smooth, and didn't have a particular sweet spot. It started every time, and wrote a solid medium line. $400? Sorry but I don't think it warrants that price.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

Robert (March 18th, 2023), Scrawler (March 19th, 2023), Yazeh (March 18th, 2023)

Thanks

Design is a powerful tool that transcends barriers. With wheelchair vector inclusive design becomes possible, ensuring accessibility and representation for all. It's a reminder that design can empower and positively impact lives. From products to graphics, the integration of wheelchair vectors promotes inclusivity, breaking down barriers, and creating a more equitable world for everyone.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; June 30th, 2023 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mık Joger View Post
    Its interesting topic
    EoC/David - we all know this account is you. You're really slipping with this recent spam fest.

tsk tsk...
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I'm glad to read about your experience and last week I found Ian at the SF pen show and bought one of a limited number of Gina-ground Monoc nibs and love it.
    Gina gave it more of an Italic/stub grind in this case, nothing like a Naginata Togi.

I still need to get a full size body but am happy to have the Monoc custom grind in a short metal body that he discounted for me.
    I couldn't make up my mind with all the fabulous colors and I had spent my self-imposed "allowance" for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have a fairly good knowledge of Ian, his work, and this current development. He has been very popular with the newer crowd of pen enthusiasts and has been selling at pen shows recently, in addition to his online stuff. Aside from the business, he is an engaging and energetic person and very easy to like.

Almost all of his early designs were small, 'pocket' pens, which doubled in length by threading the cap on the back. He favored turned metal pens and developed some very innovative anodization patterns and techniques. In the last year or two, he has also branched out into some modern plastics that are robust enough for the 'technical' style of tools, primarily Ultem. Lately, he has come out with some full-size models, which are longer but not appreciably wider in circumference.

My biggest hesitation to purchasing one had to do with the relatively narrow section, turned from metal. I'm not a fan of metal pens, certainly not sections, as they feel cold and slippery. Still, I didn't care for the dingy yellow Ultem or feel like paying that much for a black plastic pen, but last August at the SF show I figured I needed to get one because I like him and I think he is a good maker and indicator for the future of small pen makers. I purchased a longer version of the metal pens, and he had partnered with Gina Salorino to offer some nibs with a Naginata Togi grind. It isn't a pen that I reach for often, and I had an idea that would be the case. That said...

Ian Schon makes products that are *remarkably* well made, with tolerances like a good technical/scientific instrument. He has rubber o-rings sealing any area that might leak and fit and finish are second to none. I have no idea how well the new Monoc nib will write, and I hope he will be at the California pen show in LA in February so I can check them out. What I am certain of is that the production work will be top-class, and that despite a high asking price, he'll sell very well.

Here's the pen I purchased in August, I'm not certain what this color pattern was called, though it might have been "Extragalactic Green". This pen is turned from solid aluminum and all the exterior color is a very robust anodization that he does, and all indications are that it stands up to a lot of abuse. All I can say is that I wish Ian well with the new nib endeavor, and encourage people who don't know his work to check it out.

Last edited by EnergyGuru; September 2nd, 2023 at 07:36 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnergyGuru For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 3rd, 2023), Scrawler (September 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (September 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Schon Design Monoc Nib Pen

I bought a Schon with Monoc nib at the Chicago Show this past March and before telling you what I think of it, I would like to provide a bit of context.

1. I am a grumpy old man - (age 74 Jon!) which ought to make Jon feel good about only being 70.

2. Whatever the "in crowd" is doing, I usually run the other way. When Ian appeared on the scene and became super popular with the younger crowd, I figured I'd never want to try one of his pens.

3. My passion is traditional styled Japanese pens, in particular Nakaya (and more recently Namiki), and Schon product is about as far the opposite of that as one might get

4. Despite being a metallurgical engineer, I don't particularly like metal pens or especially metal sections.

5. When introduced, the Monoc nib sounded to me like 98% hype

But Ian is certainly an engaging guy. I stopped to chat with him in Chicago. I have spent my career in manufacturing and with manufacturing companies, so I greatly enjoyed his explanation of the considerations in design of the Monoc nib and his discussing the manufacturing issues. And the then new colored nibs were present in blue, my favorite color, so I decided to try one.

And I love it!!! The nib writes smooth and wet, and is a pleasure to use. Despite the full size Schon pen being shorter and thinner than my usual preference, I find it very comfortable. The bottom line is, since getting this pen, I probably reach for it more often than any other of the way over one hundred pens I own.

Everything about me says I should hate this pen. But I love it. And that says it all.

IMG_7376.jpgIMG_7377.jpg

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

dneal (September 4th, 2023), manoeuver (September 3rd, 2023), penwash (September 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (September 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,258 Posts

Is it possible for those who have the pen, to post a writing sample?

Thanks

Default Writing Sample

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,258 Posts

Thank you @whichwatch that looks lovely!

Thanks

I have a buddy that bought one and promptly lost it.
    Eye yi yi.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk