Thread: Forum Search "replace eco nib" Failure

Thanks

Default Forum Search "replace eco nib" Failure

When I search for posts on "replace eco nib" the search routine throws out "eco" and "nib". It gives a few reasons - the one that fits is too short. Given nib replacement is a very common topic and the TWSBI Eco may have the highest sale volume of fountain pen models these days. How do I find topics on nib replacement for a TWSBI Eco if the search routine throws out the most relevant key words?

BTW I accidently ordered a Eco with an extra fine nib and want a different size. I've heard a JOWO size 5 will work. Will it? Has anyone done a successful nib swap on an ECO?

[I put it under the repair forum since I count a nib swap as a repair.]

So there are two topics here: First, fixing the problem with the search for posts on nib and Eco. Second, what size/brand nib will fit a TWSBI Eco?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Forum Search "replace eco nib" Failure

As to the first point, I'm sorry to inform you that the owner of the site and domain no longer cares to update/modify/improve the site, nor does he show any desire to hand it off to anyone else. Don't begin to think that search, or anything else, will get fixed.

Secondly, I thought all the TWSBI pens took either a #6 (standard modern sizing) nib, except for pens like the Mini, which use a #5. However, I don't have an Eco, so no hands-on nib swap info for you. Should be an easy Google find, though.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 16th, 2022)

Thanks

To do a Google search in just this site, you could use the following as a search argument:
    replace eco nib site:fpgeeks.com

Google doesn't complain about the search terms.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 15th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (December 18th, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 15th, 2022), Yazeh (December 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,480 Times in 4,008 Posts

I tend to use Google for almost all searches because the FPG Advanced Search doesn't take any notice of any 3 letter words. It ignores them and uses the other words in the search.

You get some results on here if you search for "Replace TWSBI nibs" or "Swap TWSBI nibs" but it always ignores Eco and that's a shame.
    To keep terms together I usually try using quote marks i.e. "Swap TWSBI" or "TWSBI nibs" but it often comes up with no search results at all when you do that.
    Google works better.

I believe TWSBI Eco nibs are easier to replace than 580 nibs as the nib comes out fairly easily - in fact one of mine sometimes starts to work its way out while I'm writing with it and begins to feel more and more flexible until it either stops writing or falls out altogether - but that's a different story.

I've never really searched for a specific tip width but spare TWSBI nibs come up on ebay if you wanted a branded one to swap in. My Eco nibs look different to my 580 nibs but otherwise I don't know what the actual sizes are. I have read that 580 nibs can only be swapped as a complete unit because the nib won't come out without breaking the unit.

As Stands on Feet confirms Google will know all of the details.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As to the first point, I'm sorry to inform you that the owner of the site and domain no longer cares to update/modify/improve the site, nor does he show any desire to hand it off to anyone else. Don't begin to think that search, or anything else, will get fixed.
    But the site works and I don’t need to fight annoying ads or pay to get it to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,480 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    But the site works and I don’t need to fight annoying ads or pay to get it to work.
    I would agree that it works but only up to a point. It needs an update to keep out spammers as that's a major part that doesn't work.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I would agree that it works but only up to a point. It needs an update to keep out spammers as that's a major part that doesn't work.
    I’m able to ignore those posts and accounts which do seem to disappear.

I think the key to using forums is to stick to the on-topic sections and to ignore the garage sales.

Thanks

Secondly, I thought all the TWSBI pens took either a #6 (standard modern sizing) nib, except for pens like the Mini, which use a #5. However, I don't have an Eco, so no hands-on nib swap info for you. Should be an easy Google find, though.
    It could be a #6 on pens like the 580 and Vac. But I think the Eco is a smaller nib. Wish it did have a #6 so I could see the larger nib just for the beauty of a larger nib! :-) Still I can't be positive on the size until I attempt it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    To do a Google search in just this site, you could use the following as a search argument:
    replace eco nib site:fpgeeks.com

Google doesn't complain about the search terms.
    Great idea, should have thought of that, thank you. I am a committed DuckDuckGo user, but I am sure they have an equivalent syntax.

Thanks

I believe TWSBI Eco nibs are easier to replace than 580 nibs as the nib comes out fairly easily - in fact one of mine sometimes starts to work its way out while I'm writing with it and begins to feel more and more flexible until it either stops writing or falls out altogether - but that's a different story.
    I take advantage of the easier to remove nib to make cleaning a piston fill pen easier. Remove the nib and feed. I often drop them into a ultra sonic cleaner with some home made pen flush and let them clean while I work on the pen. For the pen I retract the piston to the top. Using a syringe flush the ink chamber and section out. Usually with just distilled water - water's hard here on the Front Range. Then reassemble. I have about half a dozen Eco's I keep inked all the time, mostly with Noodler's. So far I haven't had a problem. If the piston gets sticky, after cleaning I apply a drop of Super Lube Silicone Oil from a dedicated syringe. A small drop mind you. Got that tip from one of Goulet's videos - to use silicone oil rather than grease for ease of application. I even tried food grade light weight mineral oil once. Didn't cause any issues with pen or ink and it worked. I think food grade mineral oil works because it is pretty much inert, like silicone. But, I'll think I'll stay with the silicone oil from now on.

I've had that same issue with Eco nibs but I think mine occurred because of lack of grip. Now I use a Nitril glove to get a better grip on the nib and feed, then seat them a little more firmly. I think Goulet sells a little rubber sheet for the same purpose though I prefer the gloves as they work pretty well. The gloves are thin so I have a better feel for what going on. So far my Eco's have been a real work-horse of a pen with less maintenance issues than say a 580 or other brands. They literally stay inked all the time and for long periods of time. I love using foutain pens, especially with a stub nib. I am more of a 'user' than a 'collector' I guess.

Thanks

[/QUOTE]Great idea, should have thought of that, thank you. I am a committed DuckDuckGo user, but I am sure they have an equivalent syntax.[/QUOTE]

So am I. That's what I tested it on, just assuming that Google and DDG would use the same syntax.