Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parker Penman Sapphire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bartow (June 15th, 2023), carlos.q (December 25th, 2022), catbert (December 25th, 2022), Chrissy (December 25th, 2022), da vinci (December 27th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 15th, 2023), junglejim (December 25th, 2022), Lloyd (December 25th, 2022), mizgeorge (December 25th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 25th, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (February 5th, 2023), vdiantonio (March 9th, 2023), welch (January 15th, 2023), Yazeh (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Parker Penman Sapphire

blue ink

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Nice blue ink
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    blue ink
    Haters gonna hate.

Thanks

"Blue Ink". "Nice blue ink".

Industry changing blue ink. Your words in your "Comments" section are spot on.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment...7&d=1671976888

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 25th, 2022), welch (January 15th, 2023)

Thanks

OK then. Very nice blue ink. I love the colour but I use it in my Parker 45 Coronet and it always clogs up and won't start, so it needs the right pen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    Industry changing blue ink.
    This is the significance, I think. It's nostalgia of a sort, an acknowledgement of an innovation or benchmark.

Thanks

A member raised concern about whether this was genuine or counterfeit via PM, which I think is reasonable. Given the proliferation of similar inks, it wouldn't be surprising to find many unscrupulous sellers across the internet filling old bottles with similar shades - many of which have become indistinguishable. There's also the simple fact that it is a consumable; and will deplete eventually.

I've had that bottle, purchased NOS, for many years, before the Blue Velvets and Sailor Sapphires were produced. I confess to having a "cake" (having and eating) problem with it - much as I do with MB's Red Chalk. I rarely open it, and have actualy filled a pen with it perhaps twice. I was surprised it hadn't been reviewed here, and figured "what the hell, it's Christmas..."

I've compared the contents of that bottle with Penman Sapphire cartridges, and have no doubt to it's authenticity.

Bear in mind that this review (like my others) are done with no consideration of "professionalism". The scans are from a several years old HP multifunction device, and the photos are snaps with my iphone under an LED desk lamp. There are professional, color-corrected, and whatever wizardry people use samples elsewhere on the internet I suspect. These reviews are just for fun, to generate some activity, and to fill gaps in Chrissy's excellent indexing.
    Last edited by dneal; December 25th, 2022 at 10:09 AM.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

aurore (July 1st, 2023), carlos.q (December 25th, 2022), catbert (December 25th, 2022), Chrissy (December 25th, 2022), damfino (January 23rd, 2023), DrPenfection (January 15th, 2023), junglejim (December 25th, 2022), Lloyd (December 25th, 2022), welch (January 15th, 2023), Yazeh (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

aurore (July 1st, 2023), Chrissy (December 25th, 2022), DrPenfection (January 15th, 2023), junglejim (December 25th, 2022), Lady Onogaro (December 27th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 25th, 2022), Yazeh (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

It's said that Monteverde Horizon Blue comes close. Maybe. I have some in a Lamy Al-Star now.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Monteverde Horizon Blue and Sailor Sapphire are among my favorite inks. I have one almost empty and one full bottle of PPS. I’ll probably never use the full bottle but haven’t been able to convince myself to sell it, because if I missed it, it would be kind of irreplaceable.

Why would I miss something I don’t use? Just one of the few things in this hobby that don’t make sense LOL

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 25th, 2022), Prettypenguin (January 13th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Great. Now I'm going to have to get a bottle of Horizon Blue.

The cake struggle is real. I use MB's Lapis in lieu of Penman Sapphire, and have 2 1/2 bottles - which translates to 1 1/2 bottles. I won't want to use the last bottle, because then I won't have any.

Thanks

@dneal, if you want a sample of Horizon Blue, message me your address and it will be on its way. I probably even have a partial small (30 ml) bottle of it I can send.

Rick

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 25th, 2022), Lloyd (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Very generous and much appreciated, but too late. I had a moment of weakness and ordered that and some of the Scribe indigo.

*sigh*

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (January 15th, 2023), Lloyd (December 25th, 2022), welch (January 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    blue ink
    Haters gonna hate.
    I don't hate blue ink but I don't really care about it either.

Penman Sapphire is more interesting to me for the hype around it.
    I still suspect there was one pen influencer who ignited the enthusiasm for the ink.
    Not sure when or who it might have been. The Google ngram search was unhelpful, I looked.

I wonder if it would be nearly as popular if it was still in production, I'd guess not.
    I think it's interesting that a healthy handful of inkmakers took a pretty hard swing at replicating it, but there's no consensus on what the best PS replacement is.

for those of my pen friends here who love Penman Sapphire: I hope you have some!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 25th, 2022)

Thanks

The best copy I used for PPS was "Faux Parker Penman Sapphire #9" by DCWaites on the other place. Diamine Majestic Blue 4 parts and Diamine Sapphire Blue 3 parts. He also recommended adding some water but I hardly added any.
    As I have some PPS in a bottle and in cartridges I only ever made a small amount for testing but thought it was very close at that time.

Thanks

blue ink
    Haters gonna hate.
    I don't hate blue ink but I don't really care about it either.

Penman Sapphire is more interesting to me for the hype around it.
    I still suspect there was one pen influencer who ignited the enthusiasm for the ink.
    Not sure when or who it might have been. The Google ngram search was unhelpful, I looked.

I wonder if it would be nearly as popular if it was still in production, I'd guess not.
    I think it's interesting that a healthy handful of inkmakers took a pretty hard swing at replicating it, but there's no consensus on what the best PS replacement is.

for those of my pen friends here who love Penman Sapphire: I hope you have some!
    I don't care about a lot of inks either. One way to tell is that I don't "thank" or even comment. Most times I don't even click on the thread. Grays bore me. Olive Greens? meh. Shimmer? There are a bunch.

Yet you care so little about blue ink that this one, labeled in the title; it caused you to post about how much you don't care. I think you're protesting too much.

That's not necessarily criticism though, and I understand. This ink can easily fall in the category of snobbery, or bandwagon, or pretentiousness, or a whole lot of other negative categories. I have a bias against Montblanc. Especially the gaudier limited editions. I love Porsche, and briefly owned a 3 year old certified Cayman I picked up for under $30k. I got rid of it because of the attention. I got rid of it because of people who felt it necessarily to mispronounce the brand in correction of my mispronunciation. Pretentious Americans like to say "por-shuh", to correct "porsh". In German it's really "porsh-uh", with the "uh" so subtle it's almost imperceptible to a not-native speaker. Then there's the differences in German dialect... but I digress.

Clearly it's desirable for the color itself. Penman Ebony or Mocha don't command high prices, or prompt replicas (or even nostalgic reference). I do like its properties - the range of shading more than the sheen, and the hues within that range. No one else has to, and that's the thing about aesthetics - they're personal.

"Haters gonna hate" is just the 21st century version of "you can't please everyone". There's also another proverb something along the lines of "if you don't have anything nice to say..."
    Last edited by dneal; December 25th, 2022 at 03:52 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 25th, 2022), manoeuver (December 26th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I think it says a lot when an ink is known by just its initials.

I'm on the love side. I've shared out a lot of it over the years, and will doubtless continue to do so, but I try to always have at least one unopened bottle around.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 26th, 2022), dneal (December 25th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 14th, 2023), Yazeh (December 26th, 2022)

Thanks

WARNING-HERESY: back when PPS was hard, but not impossible, to find I diluted it with ordinary Parker Blue ink. To my eyes no noticeable difference, no clogging, no crusty deposits on the bottle to this day.

Now if I could find unopened bottles of DuPont Bleu Nuit and Omas Roma Blue!

Thanks

I don't care about a lot of inks either. One way to tell is that I don't "thank" or even comment. Most times I don't even click on the thread. Grays bore me. Olive Greens? meh. Shimmer? There are a bunch.

Yet you care so little about blue ink that this one, labeled in the title; it caused you to post about how much you don't care. I think you're protesting too much.

That's not necessarily criticism though, and I understand. This ink can easily fall in the category of snobbery, or bandwagon, or pretentiousness, or a whole lot of other negative categories. I have a bias against Montblanc. Especially the gaudier limited editions. I love Porsche, and briefly owned a 3 year old certified Cayman I picked up for under $30k. I got rid of it because of the attention. I got rid of it because of people who felt it necessarily to mispronounce the brand in correction of my mispronunciation. Pretentious Americans like to say "por-shuh", to correct "porsh". In German it's really "porsh-uh", with the "uh" so subtle it's almost imperceptible to a not-native speaker. Then there's the differences in German dialect... but I digress.

Clearly it's desirable for the color itself. Penman Ebony or Mocha don't command high prices, or prompt replicas (or even nostalgic reference). I do like its properties - the range of shading more than the sheen, and the hues within that range. No one else has to, and that's the thing about aesthetics - they're personal.

"Haters gonna hate" is just the 21st century version of "you can't please everyone". There's also another proverb something along the lines of "if you don't have anything nice to say..."
    I do care about Penman Sapphire! I think it's a top 5 fascinating and nuanced corner of the hobby.

It's at the intersection of highly specialized product development, unobtanium dynamics, mimetic desire and influencers, supply/demand pricing and taste-- at least.

the fact I don't use much blue ink puts me in an odd neutral stance about PS as a product. As a phenomenon I think it's remarkable, as an ink I don't have an opinion anyone should give a shit about.

note I said 'blue ink' which is as neutral a post as I was able to concoct.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 26th, 2022)