Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: That other place down…

Thanks

Default Re: That other place down…

Quote Originally Posted by OCArt View Post
    A pity the sole FPN administrator seems unwilling to be open to help. Oh well, it's his right I suppose. Happy New Year to all!
    Whether he wants help or not is entirely up to him but with the number of members who frequent the site I think it is downright rude to not let people know if there is going to be a outage of significant duration.
    Of course, this is nothing new. The "transparency" of the entire FPN leadership group.....Administrator and most, but not all, of his group of Moderators..... has been non-existent for many years.
    They all have had the attitude that if you don't like what they are doing, you can just go someplace else. Actually, were it not for this FPG may have never come into existence.
    Quite frankly, I'd rather be here with no Administrator than be over there where everything is so heavy handed.
    But, let's face it, there is a wealth of incredibly valuable information stored there as well as some amazing member-resources that one can not find anywhere else.
    It would be awful if it dissolved into cyberspace.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 2nd, 2023), forester (January 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Weird that there’s no info from the site owner. Hopefully this is a short term problem and when it comes back, classifieds will be restored.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mulrich For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    Returns a 500 error so could be a number of things. One thing is sure, it hasn't permanently "disappeared" or "gone", just a temporary outage. Too bad, I was kind of waiting for hanging out there now that I have some time to kill this Saturday (and an interesting recent purchase to chew the fat on). Oh well...there is here, reddit, and FB also (among others).
    What sorts of things could a 500 error mean? In the FPN past, when it was down, we got one of those more personalized messages....'Dear friends of this fountain pen nut house...' or something similar.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Although I am not a Web professional, I can say that as a user of Web sites I consider this last to be a good point. In the past we have had an FPN screen that began with "Dear friends ...." and went on to say FPN's Web arrangements were being worked on. The same is true of many other sites that are being worked on in whole or in part: we see a screen that tells us at the very least that the page is under construction. We don't see an error message with a number.

Time will bring further realities, but may not bring a transparent explanation of what happened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Maybe we could make a group here for FPN folks to find each other.
    Hey Misfit. Like an FPN lifeboat?
    Permission to come aboard?
    Happy New Year
    (P.I.Tom as Dirk Barcode)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    But, let's face it, there is a wealth of incredibly valuable information stored there as well as some amazing member-resources that one can not find anywhere else.
    It would be awful if it dissolved into cyberspace.
    I wonder if anyone wrote that stuff down. With a pen. In cursive…

"A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

@Prettypenguin: Are you PenguinCollector on FPN?
    Yes, I am ! Funny enough, I am also prettypenguin over there, but I lost the info for rhat username in 2012 and never got to post anything. PM me on here- I have something for you.

Thanks

Happy New Year. I hope FPN comes back soon.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (January 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Sure, and permission granted. I’ll see if I can figure out the Group formation. @Dirk Barcode

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    What sorts of things could a 500 error mean? In the FPN past, when it was down, we got one of those more personalized messages....'Dear friends of this fountain pen nut house...' or something similar.
    It means only that the server doesn't know how to reply to the request and none of the defined error messages apply. It could be that the database crashed, or the forum app crashed, or someone hacked something, or some similar problem. It could mean that Wim is operating in emergency mode and didn't take the time to post a message, opting instead to just shut some things down and work on recovery. Whatever else is true, the server (hardware and HTTP server) and domain (fountainpennetwork.com) are both there and functional, just not the forum app. My personal worry is that something crashed and Wim doesn't know yet (because he hasn't been using the site). And if that's the case, unless someone knows a sure-fire way of communicating with him, and has done so, the site could be down indefinitely until he realizes it's offline (or until the hosting service reboots something or whatever).

My hope is actually that he took things down intentionally to do some fixing. We'll see.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

724Seney (January 2nd, 2023), Bisquitlips (January 2nd, 2023), catbert (January 2nd, 2023), mana (January 2nd, 2023), Misfit (January 1st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023), Stands on Feet (January 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

I’ve got a group created, joining by invitation only. So if you want to join the group, it’s named FPN Lifeboat.

Since I made the group invitation only, I’ve sent out some invitations. If you are a FPN member, and didn’t get a group invitation, and want one, please ask here.
    Last edited by Misfit; January 1st, 2023 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

I’ve got a group created, joining by invitation only. So if you want to join the group, it’s named FPN Lifeboat.

Since I made the group invitation only, I’ve sent out some invitations. If you are a FPN member, and didn’t get a group invitation, and want one, please ask here.
    Hey misfit ... just another FPN refugee seeking lifeboat

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jandrew For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,890 Times in 1,434 Posts

I was not very active on FPN for the last couple of years, but still contributet lots of photo and pen history stuff during more than a decade. I would be sorry to see that it got lost. My user name is the same there.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Jerome Tarshis (January 2nd, 2023), JulieParadise (January 2nd, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Same here; I am Julie Paradise all over teh interwebs. ;-)

Thanks

I'll send more invitations. I'm not sure where they show up. Maybe those who found them can explain where to look for them. I changed the group style from invite only to moderated, so that FPN "refugees" can, I hope, request to join. It's all new to me.
    Last edited by Misfit; January 2nd, 2023 at 03:07 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JulieParadise View Post
    Same here; I am Julie Paradise all over teh interwebs. ;-)
    I sent you, and several others who have replied here, an invitation to join the Group FPN Lifeboat. I loved the post you made on a thread that described living life in a liquid way.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

I don't even know what a "group" is here. What is a group?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    It means only that the server doesn't know how to reply to the request and none of the defined error messages apply. It could be that the database crashed, or the forum app crashed, or someone hacked something, or some similar problem. It could mean that Wim is operating in emergency mode and didn't take the time to post a message, opting instead to just shut some things down and work on recovery. Whatever else is true, the server (hardware and HTTP server) and domain (fountainpennetwork.com) are both there and functional, just not the forum app. My personal worry is that something crashed and Wim doesn't know yet (because he hasn't been using the site). And if that's the case, unless someone knows a sure-fire way of communicating with him, and has done so, the site could be down indefinitely until he realizes it's offline (or until the hosting service reboots something or whatever).

My hope is actually that he took things down intentionally to do some fixing. We'll see.
    Same here.

Wow! That is a detailed response. Thanks very much; I know so little about such things.

Good to see you here, too.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post

Most probably already know this but @LizEF is one of the "good guys" (I hope to say it that way is ok) over at FPN. As a Moderator, she is always friendly, approachable, helpful.
    Thanks Liz, the input & perspective you have provided in this post is definitely appreciated!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (January 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (January 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

New Message up at FPN. They have a file with some database corruption and are working on it.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

bunnspecial (January 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (January 2nd, 2023)