Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFNIR: Diamine Writer's Blood

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 563 Posts

Default EFNIR: Diamine Writer's Blood

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Writer's Blood

This is review #214 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was surprisingly quick and easy. It may need a few extra flushes because of how saturated it is, but it comes out easily. This ink is basically a super-concentrated pink - see the microscope smear.

Wrote really wet after filling, for about 1/3 of an A5 page, then slowed down to what I assumed was normal. The next day, after a paragraph, it wouldn't write. I flossed the tines and it gushed. Wrote for another half page and it seems to be still flowing very wet. The ink didn't clog again, it's still flowing extremely fat and writing a wide line. Don't know what clogged the pen at the start - I clean thoroughly between inks and the pen hasn't had glitter in it in forever. Fluke, I guess. See the writing on the swatch card in the video for the difference.

This ink seems to attract barking dogs.

Zoomed in photo (Very close, but the photo seems almost to have some brown in it, which the paper doesn't)

Screenshot (Also close, though the text is so dark you may have a hard time seeing any color.)

Scan of Completed Review (Close, possibly a bit too blue (I have a hard time deciding); text may be a little too light (over exposed).)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: almost perfect; CP: close, possibly too brown.)

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 360µm, with twelve divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 360µm. With 214 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.) (Not the fattest line, but definitely on the very wide end of the scale.)

Microscope image (100x. The software wouldn't pick up color or details, so this is my cell phone looking through the eyepiece.)

Previous Review: Diamine Silver Fox.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (January 3rd, 2023), catbert (January 3rd, 2023), Chrissy (January 3rd, 2023), Deb (January 3rd, 2023), InesF (January 4th, 2023), JulieParadise (January 3rd, 2023), junglejim (January 3rd, 2023), Marsilius (January 5th, 2023), OCArt (January 3rd, 2023), PithyProlix (January 5th, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 3rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 3rd, 2023), TSherbs (January 4th, 2023), Yazeh (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: EFNIR: Diamine Writer's Blood

Hey, it worked! Figured I may as well post here, though I'm not sure I'll continue once FPN is back. We'll see.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 5th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Yay! EFNIR! Quin! Essri! Silkworms! A global map, in red!

I like this sort of color. And everything. Thanks.

What need is there to fly, when this ink supplies all the feathers you could want? 😜
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Yay! EFNIR! Quin! Essri! Silkworms! A global map, in red!

I like this sort of color. And everything. Thanks.

What need is there to fly, when this ink supplies all the feathers you could want? 😜
    Thanks, Sailor!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Wow ! Great job @LizEf and
    Interesting microscopic work and quite an interesting soundscape. Reminds me of a mixture of whale songs and some multimedia artwork
    Interesting ink and colour, this would work with dry pens, but not with ebonite feeds, I guess.

Silk worms and happy tears, now that'll a great start for the New Year

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Wow ! Great job @LizEf and
    Thanks, Yazeh!

Interesting microscopic work and quite an interesting soundscape. Reminds me of a mixture of whale songs and some multimedia artwork
    Yes, this was a rather noisy one. I think I recorded it in the middle of the day when people were all out and about.

Interesting ink and colour, this would work with dry pens, but not with ebonite feeds, I guess.
    I think it would be hard to control in a very wet pen. It's quite the gusher.

Silk worms and happy tears, now that'll a great start for the New Year
    They need to bring FPN back before I have to post a link to the origin of the whole "happy tears of silkworms" idea! (Which came from Tas.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Still looking for my quitessential dark red. This is one's a bit too Burr Gundy for me.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    Still looking for my quitessential dark red. This is one's a bit too Burr Gundy for me.
    You're right, it's very burgundy. I was expecting something that looked more blood-like from the name and comments on reddit (this is one of Diamine's "r/fountainpens" inks). I was not expecting it to be just a really-concentrated pink!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    You're right, it's very burgundy. I was expecting something that looked more blood-like from the name and comments on reddit (this is one of Diamine's "r/fountainpens" inks). I was not expecting it to be just a really-concentrated pink!
    Well we know how writers exaggerate everything, even their blood

Thanks

Well we know how writers exaggerate everything, even their blood
    Speak for yourself! I never exaggerate anything!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Welcome to fpgeeks LizEF ! So good to see you and Quin here along with your wonderful ink reviews for Extra Fine nibs. I do follow along at FPN but glad to see you have posted your latest here. Did you get any crusties building up on the nib after a few days of non-use? Some red and orange inks seem to be partial to that. Just wondering...

All the Best.
    --JJ
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Welcome to fpgeeks LizEF ! So good to see you and Quin here along with your wonderful ink reviews for Extra Fine nibs. I do follow along at FPN but glad to see you have posted your latest here. Did you get any crusties building up on the nib after a few days of non-use? Some red and orange inks seem to be partial to that. Just wondering...

All the Best.
    --JJ
    Thanks, JJ! No, I didn't get any crusties with this ink - I don't think it has any yellow or orange in it (which seems to be the requirement, though I could be wrong). Of course, I use the pen every day and keep inks in it for only 4-5 days, so that's not the best way to test for crustaceans... (Though this year, I'm switching to 1 review per week, so inks will be in for ~7 days.)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Thank you as always @LizEF. The poor silkworms, I do hope they can still squeeze out a few happy tears before it's too late.

This is an ink I really wanted to like. And I just don't. It's too burgundy, not bloody enough at all, and is dull with it - in fact the horrendous feathering is about the only interesting thing it seems to manage.

I even tried it with a superfine Osmiroid copperplate nib and it came out looking like a medium on anything other than the very best paper. The final nail was that it also changed colour a lot in the pen - darkening down to an almost brick colour after a while.

Very disappointing, but perhaps I should have known better than to have such high hopes for a colour that's really fundamentally outside my comfort zone palette.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Thank you as always @LizEF.
    You're very welcome!

The poor silkworms, I do hope they can still squeeze out a few happy tears before it's too late.
    Our heroes to the rescue!

This is an ink I really wanted to like. And I just don't. It's too burgundy, not bloody enough at all, and is dull with it - in fact the horrendous feathering is about the only interesting thing it seems to manage.

I even tried it with a superfine Osmiroid copperplate nib and it came out looking like a medium on anything other than the very best paper. The final nail was that it also changed colour a lot in the pen - darkening down to an almost brick colour after a while.

Very disappointing, but perhaps I should have known better than to have such high hopes for a colour that's really fundamentally outside my comfort zone palette.
    Yeah, I wish the name and color went together better. I also wish it wasn't so dark so we could get some shading. Oh well. The good news is that there are so many inks out there that we'll have no trouble find a dozen to make us forget any disappointment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have never liked the look of this ink. I like the name tho.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have never liked the look of this ink. I like the name tho.
    You're very welcome! And not alone.

Thanks

Hurray! An Efnir review. I have this ink, and think it’s in a pen. I’ve gotten lazy about writing my pens’ names and ink in two notebooks. So nice to see the gang continuing on their journey. They are such a fun addition to your reviews.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Hurray! An Efnir review. I have this ink, and think it’s in a pen. I’ve gotten lazy about writing my pens’ names and ink in two notebooks. So nice to see the gang continuing on their journey. They are such a fun addition to your reviews.
    Thanks, Misfit!

Thanks

Hi LizEF, nice to finding you here! and so glad, you brought Quin, Makhabesh, Esri and all the other lifeforms with you!
    I really like the colour of this ink, but can't convince myself to try it out. I will take some more time to think about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InesF View Post
    Hi LizEF, nice to finding you here! and so glad, you brought Quin, Makhabesh, Esri and all the other lifeforms with you!
    I really like the colour of this ink, but can't convince myself to try it out. I will take some more time to think about.
    Hooray! Nice to see you here, InesF! I couldn't leave all those lifeforms behind if I tried - they hang out inside my head and keep me from falling asleep at night.

If you have a super-dry pen, it would go well there. If you're in the mood for zero shading, it would satisfy that desire. I think I like it better on cream-colored paper than white. In my Rhodiarama journal, it looks sort of maroon, almost brown-leaning (though I know it's not). It's so wet that it really needs a good paper, otherwise it will feather, fuzz, and / or bleed. Spread is a given, as I'm sure you know. The darkness and lack of shading are easy on the reader's eyes - though I personally would rather have shading.

Anywho, glad you've signed up and commented!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

InesF (January 13th, 2023)