Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,252 Posts

Default Re: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

Look how the IG red has turned almost black whereas to the blue is still blue black.

Bergmann.jpegBergmann 1.jpeg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 6th, 2023), Lloyd (March 3rd, 2023), PithyProlix (March 4th, 2023), Scrawler (March 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

I had also made a black flow once. But it flows black and stays black, no special effects.

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu...t=1080#p151829

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (March 3rd, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (March 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Nice chroma! Bottle looks like, oh, what is is, De Atramentis?

Thanks for the review!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 7,862 Times in 1,432 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thom. View Post
    I had also made a black flow once. But it flows black and stays black, no special effects.

Welcome Thomas!

If Yazeeh allows, I could ad a couple of pictures of how I used this ink and what I specially like about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Look how the IG red has turned almost black whereas to the blue is still blue black.
    This is exactly what I find interesting about this ink; the fact that it turns almost black, but not completely. You have to look twice to see the hint of blue....

Welcome Thomas!

If Yazeeh allows, I could ad a couple of pictures of how I used this ink and what I specially like about it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 6th, 2023)

Thanks

@christof. You and all members are always welcome to add any photos/ information. The more the merrier and the more complete the review

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    ... Bottle looks like, oh, what is is, De Atramentis? ...
    Yes, deAtramentis also uses such bottles, but they are made in Italy. https://www.foresta.net/detail.asp?codice=IN-0004-01

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 6th, 2023), dneal (March 8th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (March 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

@christof. You and all members are always welcome to add any photos/ information. The more the merrier and the more complete the review
    Thank you Yazeh.

I will start wit a picture of the slightly diluted fresh ink. This is how the color looks:

And this is how the ink looks frehsly brought to the paper, still slightly diluted:

after only a few hours it gets much darker

And this shows a comparison to Pelikan 4001 blue-black:

and this as well, which means that Pelikan blue-black will stay blue-black, but Thomas ink is changing:

(the Michelangelo drawing has been done with Pelikan blue black)

This is exatly what I like most on Thomas ink. It's kind of ambiguous, not black and not blue. And of course I also like the properties regarding water resistance, which opens up certain possibilities when drawing.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 3rd, 2023), Chrissy (March 6th, 2023), JulieParadise (March 3rd, 2023), PithyProlix (March 4th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 3rd, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (March 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

... I am not sure why they add the blue dye still. ...
    We can answer that too. These inks contain the IG in a dissolved, almost transparent state. This is an example of such an IG ink body without dye. You would hardly see it while writing.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 6th, 2023), christof (March 3rd, 2023), JulieParadise (March 4th, 2023), Lloyd (March 3rd, 2023), PithyProlix (March 4th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 4th, 2023), Yazeh (March 4th, 2023)

Thanks

I would like to add something about the durability of the lettering of such inks, because I read a lot of speculation. Compared to the nanopigment inks, because they are champions league. Iron gall does not have its enormous lightfastness and is not resistant to diluted hydrochloric acid and bleach. For standard applications they have good resistance if they contain sufficient IG. And that's the problem with "colored" IG inks, because IG is not colored.
    Here is a light test over about 1 year with 1 nano, 2 IG ("Nachtblau" is the blue flowing) and 1 royal blue. https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu...e.php?id=39134

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 6th, 2023), dneal (March 6th, 2023), Lloyd (March 6th, 2023), PithyProlix (March 7th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 6th, 2023), Yazeh (March 6th, 2023)

Thanks

I would like to add something about the durability of the lettering of such inks, because I read a lot of speculation. Compared to the nanopigment inks, because they are champions league. Iron gall does not have its enormous lightfastness and is not resistant to diluted hydrochloric acid and bleach. For standard applications they have good resistance if they contain sufficient IG. And that's the problem with "colored" IG inks, because IG is not colored.
    Here is a light test over about 1 year with 1 nano, 2 IG ("Nachtblau" is the blue flowing) and 1 royal blue. https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu...e.php?id=39134
    Dear Thom,

looks fine for the Nachtblau ink.
    It's ig content seems similar to Diamine Registrar's or ESSRI...

Best wishes and welcome here
    Jens
    Schaumburg_Swan aka SchaumburgSwan
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Schaumburg_Swan For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 6th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schaumburg_Swan View Post
    It's ig content seems similar to Diamine Registrar's or ESSRI...
    Hello Jens,

Thanks! I think technically ESSRI can hold a little more IG in solution. But if I had done it that way (with a little less blue) it would be ... an ESSRI.
    Last edited by Thom.; March 7th, 2023 at 07:16 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Schaumburg_Swan (March 7th, 2023), Yazeh (March 7th, 2023)

Thanks

@Thom, can I post your light test, on my Fountain Pen Network, review? That's very encouraging.

Thanks

@Thom, can I post your light test, on my Fountain Pen Network, review? ...
    That was my friend "Heinrich", I'll ask him. Because ESSRI was mentioned as a comparison to Nachtblau, ESSRI has a small problem with a lot of air in the original container and IG-precipitations over time. Transferring the ink to several smaller ink bottles keeps the air out and delays precipitation somewhat.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 7th, 2023)

Thanks

@Thom, can I post your light test, on my Fountain Pen Network, review? ...
    That was my friend "Heinrich", I'll ask him.
    Thanks!
    Because ESSRI was mentioned as a comparison to Nachtblau, ESSRI has a small problem with a lot of air in the original container and IG-precipitations over time. Transferring the ink to several smaller ink bottles keeps the air out and delays precipitation somewhat.
    Yep that's what I did. When I was researching the history of IG/ and making IG inks. There was a suggestion that the best way to protect IG ink is to blow into the bottle before closing the lid:
    Blow into bottle and quickly replace cap to replace oxygen with carbon dioxide. Seal container when not in use. Filter and transfer to smaller container.
    https://irongallink.org/how-to-make-...ing-chart.html

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 7th, 2023), Lloyd (March 7th, 2023), PithyProlix (March 7th, 2023)

Thanks

... There was a suggestion that the best way to protect IG ink is to blow into the bottle before closing the lid ...
    The Ig fans here even sprayed protective gas. I always say the lettering is forever, not the ink.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 7th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (March 7th, 2023), Yazeh (March 7th, 2023)

Thanks

... There was a suggestion that the best way to protect IG ink is to blow into the bottle before closing the lid ...
    The Ig fans here even sprayed protective gas. I always say the lettering is forever, not the ink.
    Indeed, glass bottles and Tetenal Protectan (butane based iirc) do a good job here...

Best
    Jens
    Schaumburg_Swan aka SchaumburgSwan
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Schaumburg_Swan For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 8th, 2023)

Thanks

@Yazeh, you see, I know them all. The other type of precipitation in such strong IG inks is acid catalyzed tannic crosslinking. I don't think this can be prevented in the long run.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

...Blow into bottle and quickly replace cap to replace oxygen with carbon dioxide. ...
    That's not going to work:

IMG_5730.PNGIMG_5731.PNG
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 7th, 2023 at 07:03 PM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (March 8th, 2023), Lloyd (March 7th, 2023)

Thanks

With Nachtblau you don't have to do anything. At ESSRI, the smaller ink bottles make sense because ESSRI has a small air problem:

The blowing I think is an excuse given by the really hard IG fans because they don't blow they inhale.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 14th, 2023), Yazeh (March 8th, 2023)