Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

Thanks

Default Re: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    They also added Indigo, if memory serves me right. The belief was that it would less corrode, the iron nibs, and thus was created the blue black
    Yes, that's wrong. The now almost colorless liquid ink was dyed blue with indigo. Chemically, the new inks were more aggressive towards steel nibs than the old goose quill inks. The latter tended to damage the steel nibs mechanically through the formation of crusts. Indigo was later replaced by tar dyes, but the inks were still acidic.
    Last edited by Thom.; June 4th, 2023 at 11:39 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

christof (June 4th, 2023), Yazeh (June 4th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Büroservice Bergmann Blaufliessende Eisengallustinte (blue flowing iron gall)

I looked up Perkins' patent once, that was the first patented tar dye. https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu...e.php?id=32867
    Leonhardi's patent for Alizarin ink was in January 1856, but Henry Stephens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Stephens_(doctor) had done it 20 years earlier. They simply had an ink that writes barely visible and had to make it visible somehow, one possibility was Logwood and the other Indigo.
    Last edited by Thom.; June 4th, 2023 at 01:19 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

christof (June 4th, 2023), forester (July 2nd, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (June 4th, 2023), Yazeh (June 4th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,890 Times in 1,434 Posts

I still draw a lot with this ink and I work with the effect of ink wash in my drawings.

But my experience is, that there are big differences between the papers in terms of the time it takes for the ink to become completely waterproof.

That's the reason for that I will make different tests with different papers. So here comes the first:

This paper is Royal Talens, van Gogh aquarell paper 300g/m2, 100% cellulose.

IG ink - LAMY Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

from left to right:
    0 hours
    2 hours
    6 hours
    24 hours
    48 hours
    60 hours
    1 week

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 2nd, 2023), dneal (July 3rd, 2023), forester (July 2nd, 2023), JulieParadise (July 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (July 3rd, 2023)