Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What did ya do today?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default What did ya do today?

We're a few days into 2023, and the world's still turning. Been a couple of years of crazyness, and maybe more is in store.

I think it's time to work on getting back our humanity. Knowing your neighbor, so to speak. Maybe just sharing what you did today.

I'll start.

I got a nib in the mail today, and tuned it up. I didn't like it, to be honest, and that's always disappointing.

My son had the day off so I went over to his place, we ate Chik fil A and played 3 games of chess.

I got home and ground a nib. I really like it.

Handwritten notes would probably be cool too, and hey! you get to use a pen!
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), Lloyd (January 5th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: What did ya do today?

Who won in chess?

I have been playing backgammon and “1000” (a polish card game) with my sons lately.
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), dneal (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I worked on the shells of my online courses in the morning. I went to lunch with a friend of mine who retired over a year ago. We hadn't seen each other much lately, and I missed him. He's 73 and I don't want to lose track of him as sometimes happens when someone retires.

Then I went to the University and looked for an old gradebook that showed the grades for a student who was in my developmental class years ago. She is getting ready to graduate after 10 years, and because she was such a strong writer, I had recommended that she be given credit for ENGL 101. Somehow, that never happened. Thankfully, the problem was solved when the former Writing Program Director found documentation that she had received 101 credit for her portfolio of work she had done in my ENGL 90. So that was great! (And I did find my gradebook from that semester, but they didn't need it.)

Then I went to UL Press and signed a contract for a book of poems that they accepted for publication.

Finally, I went home, fed the cats (inside and out), and had a meeting with my fellow Board members for the Festival of Words writing collective. We sponsor a literary weekend, activities for youth, reading series and writing workshops.

Tomorrow I hope to spend a good part of the day at the sewing store quilting with my friends.

The semester starts Monday.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), dneal (January 6th, 2023), Lloyd (January 5th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Yesterday (Thursday) finished off an ink review after finally receiving the last nib I needed to write with on it. Will scan it all and hopefully post it soon.
    Watered two Vanda orchids by soaking them each for an hour in a large bucket of rainwater inside the greenhouse as it was at last a high enough temperature (15 °C) to give them a long drink after spraying them every day inside the house where they currently have to live.
    Refilled all of my wild bird feeders in the back garden and sat and watched the birds feeding for half an hour.
    Watched the last episode of Amazon Prime Rings of Power and found out who Sauron is.
    Watched TV in the evening.
    Couldn't sleep because Friday (today) I have to have a blood test and I'm the proverbial stone that no-one can get blood out of.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 6th, 2023 at 11:42 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 6th, 2023), Yazeh (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Who won in chess?
    I won 2 1/2 games. I made a stupid mistake in the 2nd game and mentally wrote it off as a loss. He pointed out the escape and I ended up winning.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Still feeling off from a spill earlier this week, so I'm working on a few things at once:

Laundry.

Putting away Christmas paraphernalia.

Organizing material for my next ebook.

Neatening up in various rooms.

Mending a few things, with the extra added attraction of stabbing myself with a long headpin.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), dneal (January 6th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (January 22nd, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023)

Thanks

I just went grocery shopping and went to the pet shop to pick up some parrot food and say hello to Rosie, the shop’s resident Amazon parrot. I had to go looking far and wide for a #2 padded envelope as well. I cut some brass sheeting into pieces that were more useful for shims. Last thing I did was enroll in credit monitoring. Currently trying to get more chores done with a bird in the crook of my elbow (known as the crelbow around here).
    Last edited by Prettypenguin; January 6th, 2023 at 03:57 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), dneal (January 6th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (January 22nd, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023)

Thanks

My wife and I went to town and had deli sandwiches for lunch. One of those chain places with consistent food.

They bring your food out, but the person who did (who also had bussing duties) was very attentive. Added an extra fork for the one slice of carrot cake. Noted my drink was almost empty before I did. Brought us 3 little to-go boxes for each's remaining 1/2 sandwiches and remaining cake (big slice).

This isn't the kind of service you get in one of these places, and I noticed she was covering every table around me just as well. Super happy and pleasant person, just making sure people were taken care of. I gave her a $20 bill and told her she was killin' it. She smiled and laughed, and we left.

Got home and changed all the lubricants in my truck (front and rear diff, engine and transmission, and transfer case). She packed away Christmas stuff.

Got these in the mail today. More to follow...

VisNibs.jpeg

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 6th, 2023), Lloyd (January 6th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Yazeh (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    My wife and I went to town and had deli sandwiches for lunch. One of those chain places with consistent food.

They bring your food out, but the person who did (who also had bussing duties) was very attentive. Added an extra fork for the one slice of carrot cake. Noted my drink was almost empty before I did. Brought us 3 little to-go boxes for each's remaining 1/2 sandwiches and remaining cake (big slice).

This isn't the kind of service you get in one of these places, and I noticed she was covering every table around me just as well. Super happy and pleasant person, just making sure people were taken care of. I gave her a $20 bill and told her she was killin' it. She smiled and laughed, and we left.

Got home and changed all the lubricants in my truck (front and rear diff, engine and transmission, and transfer case). She packed away Christmas stuff.

Got these in the mail today. More to follow...

VisNibs.jpeg
    That young person has a bright future.

What make is your truck? I’m a Toyota diehard (Land Cruiser and 4Runner currently).

Thanks

Nissan Frontier right now. I've had a few Tacomas too. The Taco seating position makes my knees hurt.

Thanks

Nissan is a solid company. I have a Nissan NV for the family (basically a 12 seater titan).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Update: Friday almost turned out to be a complete write-off when the first phlebotomist got no blood out of my arm after 3 attempts. She gave me the chance of giving up and booking another appointment on another day or letting someone else have a go. I decided to choose the latter and fortunately she achieved success at her first attempt. Phew. Thank goodness that's over.

I drew a unicorn for the last Inkvent 52 prompt of 2022. Myth. Not sure whether I like it enough to post it on here or not.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 7th, 2023 at 09:45 AM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (January 7th, 2023), dneal (January 7th, 2023), Lloyd (January 7th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Yazeh (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Nothing so far except a supermarket pickle run. It's early yet.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 7th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Only 5 or 6 degrees colder than yesterday, but today it's that damp cold that soaks in. Cloudy skies spit the odd sprinkle of sleet/snow, but nothing that didn't melt as soon as it hit the ground.

I stayed in, wore sweatpants all day, and played with nibs. Tune, dip, test, balance, tune, etc... Ink, write, rinse, dry, ink, write, rinse, dry...

It was a lot of fun actually. I posted an update to an 8 year old review, in fact.

Now I just have to decide on the color. These are the final contenders.

VisInkFinal - 1.jpeg

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 8th, 2023), Lloyd (January 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Another supermarket run for milk and bananas, but stumbled on some candy in deeeep discount. Made 'wafflized' tater tots for breakfast (never again, too much fuss), watching some golf, and it's still early.

I should wait until nighttime.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 8th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Yazeh (January 8th, 2023)

Thanks

Only 5 or 6 degrees colder than yesterday, but today it's that damp cold that soaks in. Cloudy skies spit the odd sprinkle of sleet/snow, but nothing that didn't melt as soon as it hit the ground.

I stayed in, wore sweatpants all day, and played with nibs. Tune, dip, test, balance, tune, etc... Ink, write, rinse, dry, ink, write, rinse, dry...

It was a lot of fun actually. I posted an update to an 8 year old review, in fact.

Now I just have to decide on the color. These are the final contenders.

VisInkFinal - 1.jpeg
    Your handwriting is light years nicer than mine

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 8th, 2023)

Thanks

Took a little hike to enjoy the nice afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 8th, 2023), Lloyd (January 8th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Yazeh (January 9th, 2023)

Thanks

Took the tubs of Christmas stuff down to the shop, where they will live on a plywood shelf until next year.

Decided on Regency Blue.

Drove the truck around a little bit to warm it, and rechecked fluid levels (the ones with dipsticks, anyway).

Ordered a M nib for my wife's Visconti, and a "SuperFlow ebonite feeder for Jowo #5". We'll see what that fits in and how well it does or doesn't work.

Played with this a little. It may get the ebonite feeder...

Conway - 1.jpeg

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Niner (January 11th, 2024), Yazeh (January 9th, 2023)

Thanks

Treated an old friend to a burger at the new burger joint.

I think I'm going to figure out how to make a video so I can show the flow of a particular ink I have in mind.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 10th, 2023), countrydirt (January 10th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

I think I'm going to figure out how to make a video so I can show the flow of a particular ink I have in mind.
    Looking forward to seeing it.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 10th, 2023)