Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFNIR: Platinum Classic Citrus Black

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 562 Posts

Default EFNIR: Platinum Classic Citrus Black

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Platinum Classic Citrus Black

This is review #215 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was quick and easy; no sign of any staining or damage to the nib. This may be the palest ink I've reviewed yet - at least, until it oxidizes. It's quite similar to the old / antique gold inks, and is a bit yellow, brown, and green. You can see it darken as it dries, and the more of it there is, the darker it gets. Better for large, wet nibs, IMO. Platinum's own pictures of this ink look very accurate on my screen - so check those out if you're unsure about the color.

Zoomed in photo (Very close to what I see. Image is perhaps a little too brown. Green doesn't seem to show as much on Rhodia or in the EF nib.)

Screenshot (Text is a little too dark, and not quite enough green.)

Scan of Completed Review (It's as if the scanner removed all the green. Attempts to correct failed. Don't go by this color.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: A little too bright; CP: all wrong. In reality, it looks muted, in the picture, it looks like it's glowing!)

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 305µm. With 215 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)

Microscope image (400x. Quite close in color, it seems to be the color before the ink oxidizes, interestingly.)

Water Test Results

Previous Review: Diamine Writer's Blood.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 10th, 2023), InesF (January 13th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 10th, 2023), junglejim (January 14th, 2023), manoeuver (January 11th, 2023), Marsilius (January 10th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 10th, 2023), Zoe (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Platinum Classic Citrus Black

Great review as usual. I had a sample of this ink and really enjoyed writing with in with vintage nibs. It turned into a dark (French) mustard colour very legible. Does the colour turn darker over time, or does it remain the same?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review as usual. I had a sample of this ink and really enjoyed writing with in with vintage nibs. It turned into a dark (French) mustard colour very legible. Does the colour turn darker over time, or does it remain the same?
    Thanks! I recorded this review on or about 30 November 2022, and since then, the page has been sitting in a stack with pretty much no light exposure (just for reference). It does look a tiny bit darker and greener now than the images suggest. Whether that's my perception, my new computer, and / or a bit of oxidation, I couldn't say. It's not grey or black, though - not at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

'Tis Tuesday, and we feature Wall Builders, islands in a white sea, continuing adventures, and an intriguing color. Thanks!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Thanks. This is an ink I purchased last year, and I've tried it on many papers and with various nib sizes and flows. At the end of the day, it never darkens enough to make it an easy-to-read ink, which is something of a disappointment. An interesting color and fun watching the darkness creep in, but I wouldn't ever want to send a letter to anyone written in this and have them squinting as they tried to read.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Excellent review! I love this one - and I use it a lot, particularly for doodling. I completely agree, it's a lot less dry than I expected, but it's the colour that's so interesting.

Wall-builders. Who'd have guessed?...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thanks. This is an ink I purchased last year, and I've tried it on many papers and with various nib sizes and flows. At the end of the day, it never darkens enough to make it an easy-to-read ink, which is something of a disappointment. An interesting color and fun watching the darkness creep in, but I wouldn't ever want to send a letter to anyone written in this and have them squinting as they tried to read.
    Jon with a wide nib, you can have a really nice, dark colour...

Last edited by Yazeh; January 10th, 2023 at 12:05 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

InesF (January 13th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 10th, 2023), LizEF (January 10th, 2023), Marsilius (January 10th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Jon with a wide nib, you can have a really nice, dark colour...
    I've tried it with Platinum music nib, a 1.2 stub with generous flow... it just was never a dark enough impression on the paper for me to use. At some point I'll do my own scans, but believe me, I found it unuseable (unfortunately). And I also wanted the ink to perform well in a mid-range nib (i.e. med, italic) not a giant nib, because I don't write like that (big). I use my inks primarily for written word, not artwork.

At one point I thought it might be a bad bottle, but I don't think so.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes, that is similar to what caused me to purchase a bottle, but I have been unable to recreate that look in pens I use, which is a shame. BTW, I had the good fortune to play in orchestras backing up Victor Borge a few times in the early part of my career. What a *wonderful* man and artist, just so sweet and gifted. Sorry he couldn't live forever.

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

LizEF (January 10th, 2023), Lloyd (January 10th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Looks you need a wet flexy pen to get the most out of that ink.

Nice review. Thanks.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes, that is similar to what caused me to purchase a bottle, but I have been unable to recreate that look in pens I use, which is a shame. BTW, I had the good fortune to play in orchestras backing up Victor Borge a few times in the early part of my career. What a *wonderful* man and artist, just so sweet and gifted. Sorry he couldn't live forever.
    Indeed, I used a Conway Stewart 330 with oblique nib. So probably that's why I managed to create that look.
    You must have been so lucky, backing up for Borge. I wonder how you kept a straight face

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

You must have been so lucky, backing up for Borge. I wonder how you kept a straight face
    Oh, we could NOT keep straight faces! He didn't do this a lot, but every so often, while at the keyboard, he would turn away from the audience and to the orchestra and say something hilarious or just make a silly face. I was dying! And such a fine artist, on top of all the great comedic timing. Never vulgar, never mean-spirited, just a lovely man. I'm glad you poked my memory bank today!

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

LizEF (January 10th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

It is quite pale. While I don't have trouble reading it, I wouldn't want to have to read pages of it. A paragraph is OK, though. I'm sure as my eyes age, they will grow less and less fond of inks like this.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Excellent review! I love this one - and I use it a lot, particularly for doodling. I completely agree, it's a lot less dry than I expected, but it's the colour that's so interesting.

Wall-builders. Who'd have guessed?...
    Thanks, mizgeorge! Wizards are just full of useful do-dads!

Thanks

BTW, I had the good fortune to play in orchestras backing up Victor Borge a few times in the early part of my career. What a *wonderful* man and artist, just so sweet and gifted. Sorry he couldn't live forever.
    That's very cool. Thank you for sharing. I love this guy's humor - his shows were really something else. (And that's not even mentioning the musical skill!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Looks you need a wet flexy pen to get the most out of that ink.

Nice review. Thanks.
    Flexy may not be mandatory, but certainly wetter is better. Thank you, and you're very welcome!

Thanks

I wonder how you kept a straight face
    Right? Props to any orchestra who don't screw up while laughing out loud!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, we could NOT keep straight faces! He didn't do this a lot, but every so often, while at the keyboard, he would turn away from the audience and to the orchestra and say something hilarious or just make a silly face. I was dying! And such a fine artist, on top of all the great comedic timing. Never vulgar, never mean-spirited, just a lovely man. I'm glad you poked my memory bank today!
    We need more such people! Lots, lots more.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 10th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 10th, 2023), Yazeh (January 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    That's very cool. Thank you for sharing. I love this guy's humor - his shows were really something else. (And that's not even mentioning the musical skill!)
    Indeed! And while I did click the button, thank you for your review. Seeing the ink from nibs even smaller than I used somewhat confirmed my experience. Appreciated.

~ Benjamin Franklin

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Indeed! And while I did click the button, thank you for your review. Seeing the ink from nibs even smaller than I used somewhat confirmed my experience. Appreciated.
    You're very welcome!