Thread: Replacing the nib on a kit pen

Thanks

Default Replacing the nib on a kit pen

A friend (who knows I'm into fountain pens) has asked me this question. Someone gifted him a wood pen that was almost certainly made from a kit. (The picture he sent me is below.) He likes the pen but not the nib, which is stiff and scratchy. So he would like to replace it. It seems this nib screws out. Does anyone know what nib would fit as a replacement?

2023-01-14 10.50.42.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Replacing the nib on a kit pen

At a glance, any #5 within the standard range. Probably Schmidt. They vary in minor ways sometimes, but there are workarounds.

At the end of the day, you have to pull it apart and measure it. First is of course is the diameter (that looks like a 5 mm), then the length of the nib and the feed.

fpnibs.com and beaufortink.co.uk have a selection of makes, styles and sizes; and some schematics. I've ordered from both, and like fpnibs. If you're willing to pay the 20 euro dhl express shipping, you get it in about 4 days from Spain. Current UK mail disruptions have me still waiting on a package.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 15th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Default Re: Replacing the nib on a kit pen

Hi. There’s a pretty high chance that whatever he plans to replace it with will be equally'stiff' ! But smoothing the nib to 'buttery' , then backing it off to a tiny bit of 'paper feel' by another slight wipe on the smoothing medium will make the nib a pleasure to write with , and will obviate any new purchase….

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 15th, 2023), Deb (January 15th, 2023)