Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Inks #48, #49, and #50 !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Inks #48, #49, and #50 !!

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post
    Does this mean we can post pictures? So far, I only have swatch and chromatogram pictures, and have discovered that these inks don't like to be scanned or photographed! Oh, and one of them looks a bit different depending on the paper it's on.

Hi LizEF, you can now post what ever results or thoughts you like about the inks. Or you can wait until someone else posts first.
    Last edited by junglejim; February 1st, 2023 at 09:34 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,258 Posts

@LizEf, yes you can start posting

Here is the chroma of 48... Really complex... But what a dry ink

Chroma 48.jpeg

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 1st, 2023), LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Chroma 49
    Chroma 48 1.jpeg

Chroma 50 (really complex)
    Chroma 48 2.jpeg

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), countrydirt (February 1st, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 1st, 2023), LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), mizgeorge (February 1st, 2023), mreeveshp (February 1st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks

My chroma for 48, 49, and 50

49 seems very very light and I might have left it dipped in the water a bit too long
    48 looks like a nice shade of dark blue with a little bit of violet/purple peaking out at the bottom
    50 intrigued me with the little splash of blue

Thanks
    mreeveshp

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 1st, 2023), LizEF (February 1st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 580 Posts

Have worn myself out doing server upgrades today. Took much longer than expected. Can't find a new template that looks even vaguely tolerable, so one website is on hold. Will try posting pics tomorrow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

Let me post a couple.

Top image is on Rhodia Ice, lined. Yazeh's chromas put mine to shame, but I'll try later.... 😉
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 1st, 2023), LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 1st, 2023), Yazeh (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks

I need to redo my pictures in better light. Not showing the subtle colors. I like them all. #49 is my favorite so far, but #50 is showing some real promise. I really like the "motor oil" appearance of #50 in the barrel of my TWSBI and was pleasantly surprised by the color on various papers.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

@sailor, 48 is growing on me. Do a bit of sketching with it, you'll discover a truly delightful ink

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    @sailor, 48 is growing on me. Do a bit of sketching with it, you'll discover a truly delightful ink
    Thanks, Yazeh. But it's sooooooo dryyyyy! Even on other papers, and scratchy. What pen and papers are you using for your sketches?

Meanwhile, my pathetic chromas:

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 2nd, 2023), LizEF (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

Have worn myself out doing server upgrades today. Took much longer than expected. Can't find a new template that looks even vaguely tolerable, so one website is on hold. Will try posting pics tomorrow.
    Don't worry about time constraints, LizEF. We typically wait about 12-14 days after the last person received their Ink Flight ( or longer if someone requests it ) before posting the Ink Reveal names.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks, Yazeh. But it's sooooooo dryyyyy! Even on other papers, and scratchy. What pen and papers are you using for your sketches?

Meanwhile, my pathetic chromas:

I use a Jinhao 450 with a fude nib. At first it was really dry, like most brown inks. But over night it became really nice. It's a light purple/brown ink. Lovely!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Yazeh, I whipped up some quick sketches on an unknown watercolor paper. My ink still runs dry. Maybe this is the kind that NEEDS a fude!

(As always, my scans look blurry). 😭

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

OK, I'll start with images of all the inks, then make separate posts with individual inks and my observations so far.

First, we have writing samples on Rhodia. I only tried to correct to make the paper more white, not colors of the inks:

And here's writing on Cosmo Air Light. Don't know if you see it, but there's definitely murky green in #50:

Hmm. Look worse than before I posted...

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Well, on to individual inks. I really like #48. It shades nicely. It's impossible to give it a name. It's sort of a pinkish tan.

Chroma has a bright yellow at the top, then pinkish orange, then a sort of purplish-brown-pink, and a grey dot with a hint of purple is left behind. I didn't try to improve upon the scan except to increase saturation. It's actually not too bad.

Swatch scan is as close as I could get it. The card background color (white) is off because of my corrections, but resetting it also alters the ink color, so I'm leaving it off. Thing is, it looks all wrong until I hold the physical card up to the screen, and then the color is exactly right. The photo is exactly the opposite. If I don't hold the card near the screen, the photo looks pretty accurate. The minute I get the card up there, the photo is all wrong. These inks hate being scanned or photographed!

No sheen. Best shading of the three.

Similar inks from online searching / image comparisons:
    Ferris Wheel Press Cream of Earl
    Ferris Wheel Press Madam Mulberry
    PenBBS #129 Xu Zhimo
    PenBBS #337 Macao
    Monarca Caribe Arena Blanca (probably not)

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

On to #49. Once again, this ink does NOT want to be scanned or photographed. It comes out with a green lean, but it's got no green lean. If anything, it's got a purple lean (see pink in the chroma). In the chroma, the ink just kept traveling up and up and up! It's pink atop blues, with a sort of blurple dot that stayed behind and some lavender in there...
    Scan of chroma doesn't show the pink at all. And it drops the blurple, leaving only light blues.

I tried, and failed, to correct the color of the swatch scan. I did not try to correct the color of the photograph. Both colors are wrong. The scan is a bit too purple and muted. The photo is too light and not muted enough. This ink just makes me mad.

This ink is very wet. Sheens red - really obvious on TR, easily seen on Rhodia. Some shading, but wetness prevents it from happening much. Good lubrication.

ETA: Ooops! Forgot the microscope image - the last time I saw this sort of planty shape (though it looks more like barbed wire here), it was a glitter ink, but no glitter here:

Last edited by LizEF; February 2nd, 2023 at 09:46 AM.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 2nd, 2023), DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), junglejim (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 3rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Chroma scan is lacking subtlety. The colors, except the dot, are darker in real life. The pink around the edges under the blue dot is more obvious, and the blue dot is brighter. The USB Microscope rendition gives a better idea.

Swatch scan is off in ways I can't describe. I think it's a little too green, but there's definitely a green undertone to this ink (turns out, the green is completely subdued on some papers and stands out on others). I didn't try to color-correct the swatch photograph, just left it as-is.

This ink is quite wet. Wetter than I first thought and it and the Wanderlust are too wet for each other. Might be too wet to shade, though I've seen hints of it. Long dry time. Does have a sheen on Tomoe River, sort of gold-ish, but you have to look for it.

No clue on similar inks from InkSwatch - this color is hard to categorize. Maybe: https://inkswatch.com/choice.html?hexColorChoice=827962

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you captured the colors very well, @Sailor Kenshin!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

... Even on other papers, and scratchy. ...
    It doesn't seem at all scratchy in my Cross Metropolis, F, which is very fine - the finest of my three pens. But it's also wet and a smooth nib. I've used it on Tomoe River 52gsm (original), Clairefontaine 90gsm Ivory (as found in Rhodia Webnotebook), and 80gsm Rhodia. (Well, and the one line on Cosmo Air Light.)

Thanks

Love it!

(As always, my scans look blurry). 😭
    I think this site's upload process downgrades the JPG quality of images. Perhaps only images over a certain size. I'll need more experimenting to figure it out, but that's what appears to be happening.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

On to #49. Once again, this ink does NOT want to be scanned or photographed. It comes out with a green lean, but it's got no green lean. If anything, it's got a purple lean (see pink in the chroma). In the chroma, the ink just kept traveling up and up and up! It's pink atop blues, with a sort of blurple dot that stayed behind and some lavender in there...
    Scan of chroma doesn't show the pink at all. And it drops the blurple, leaving only light blues.

I tried, and failed, to correct the color of the swatch scan. I did not try to correct the color of the photograph. Both colors are wrong. The scan is a bit too purple and muted. The photo is too light and not muted enough. This ink just makes me mad.

This ink is very wet. Sheens red - really obvious on TR, easily seen on Rhodia. Some shading, but wetness prevents it from happening much. Good lubrication.

ETA: Ooops! Forgot the microscope image - the last time I saw this sort of planty shape (though it looks more like barbed wire here), it was a glitter ink, but no glitter here:

Attack of the Octopi! 😱 😜

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (February 2nd, 2023), LizEF (February 2nd, 2023), mreeveshp (February 3rd, 2023), Yazeh (February 2nd, 2023)